New to travel trailers - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2015, 05:45 PM   #1

Georgia
New to travel trailers

Hello
My wife and I have decided that we are going to buy a 2016 Denali 287RE after the first of the year. We did tent camoping when the kids were little. Got out of camping for a longtime. By the time we were abe to start camping again it was just the of us. Bought a very small very old class c. Moved up to a a mid 80s Bluebird DP. Mechanical problems caused us to sell it. We then got a 92 Monaco DP. It was just to much work and expense.

Now we have decided to go with a travel trailer. I had abut 12 trailers on the short list. We were able to meet Sean Doll from Dutchmen.He showed us the 287RE.

Two weeks later we looked at a Jayco Eagle with same floorplan. When we got home I was told the searich was over. We both fell in love with the 287.

Sad thing is we can't get till after the first of the year.

We are in middle GA and most of out family is in TX.

The tow vehicle is a 1990 F250 superman with the 7.3 diesel

Hugh & Lexie Turner

hturner12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:12 PM   #2

Nevada
Welcome Hugh, I see that you have had a few RV's like myself, The RV builders have changed and I feel that they are for the money now, so when you pick up your Trailer, make sure you do a good check of everything, and if you find something wrong or not working, get it repaired before you leave the Dealer, I was lucky on my trailer, I didn't have but a few minor repairs…A few others on here have had some real trouble with theirs…..Happy camping and enjoy

2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:53 PM   #3

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNevada View Post
Welcome Hugh, I see that you have had a few RV's like myself, Threesome RV builders have changed and I feel that they are for the money now, so when you pick up your Trailer, make sure you do a good check of everything, and if you find something wrong or not working, get it repaired before you leave the Dealer, I was lucky on my trailer, I didn't have but a few minor repairs…A few others on here have had some real trouble with theirs…..Happy camping and enjoy
I plan on it. It also helps that I was an aircraft/ heavy truck mechanic and taught both auto and aircraft mechanics. I also do a lot of online research

The Bluebird had to have the best support. Even as owners change one situation for me new owner keep all the records and build sheets. I had an 84. Bought it in 2005. I had an electral problem. Called the plant. When I told them the problem. They told me where to look and what to look for. They also had the part an sat one aside in case I needed it.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:20 AM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hturner12 View Post
I plan on it. It also helps that I was an aircraft/ heavy truck mechanic and taught both auto and aircraft mechanics. I also do a lot of online research

The Bluebird had to have the best support. Even as owners change one situation for me new owner keep all the records and build sheets. I had an 84. Bought it in 2005. I had an electral problem. Called the plant. When I told them the problem. They told me where to look and what to look for. They also had the part an sat one aside in case I needed it.
Well I can PROMISE you that you won't be getting that kind of support from Thor Industries!

If you are lucky your unit will be built similarly to the rest of the same model... or not. I have a Coleman CTS16FB which apparently was a transition model, they only made it for 3-4 months, now it is called something else. I have created my own plumbing diagrams, wiring diagrams and have rebuilt the not so square furniture. But I still like it, it was the smallest unit we could find with a walk around queen bed. Build quality was okay and we have been doing mods and making upgrades to suit us as we go.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:25 AM   #5

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Well I can PROMISE you that you won't be getting that kind of support from Thor Industries!

If you are lucky your unit will be built similarly to the rest of the same model... or not. I have a Coleman CTS16FB which apparently was a transition model, they only made it for 3-4 months, now it is called something else. I have created my own plumbing diagrams, wiring diagrams and have rebuilt the not so square furniture. But I still like it, it was the smallest unit we could find with a walk around queen bed. Build quality was okay and we have been doing mods and making upgrades to suit us as we go.

Aaron

Aaron

I know that kinda of support doesn't happen anymore. We had to have a king bed. Our kids now are 3 dogs and 6 cats. They dogs claim our king bed here at the house already and just share it with us. One 70#,35# and 17#