New to the group!!! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2014, 08:19 PM   #1

Washington
Smile New to the group!!!

Hi everyone,

We are seriously thinking about purchasing a Dutchman Denali 274REX 5th Wheel very soon. We just sold our Nash 20' travel trailer so we're moving on up to something bigger. I would appreciate any feedback you can give me both good and bad on this RV. We're very excited but it is a big purchase for us and I want to make sure we're not making a mistake.
The funny thing is I just sold my Dodge Dakota yesterday because it could not pull the 5th wheel. Does anyone have recommendations on what truck will pull this 10,000lb trailer. I'm currently looking for a used 3/4 ton truck with a V10 engine. I really appreciate ANY feedback and look forward to the discussion.

MARKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:32 PM   #2

Washington
You'll get differing opinions on this site about Dutchmen products. Is the new purchase new or used? If new plan on a very thorough Pre-delivery inspection (PDI). This being a big purchase for you get used to the idea that no trailers come without issues. If you get lucky, the problems will only be small ones. If this new trailer has slides you'll want to search Schwintek slides on this site and decide for yourself if these are reliable enough to insure your not making a mistake. My personal opinion, and it is just my opinion, is to steer clear of Dutchmen. The brand is now part of Keystone and will in all likelihood soon disappear.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:31 AM   #3

British Columbia
I too suggest that you steer clear of Dutchmen and any other Thor Industries products.

I have lost all faith in any Thor built camper and customer service is hit or miss. Have you looked at the west coast products, the savings in transportation costs will buy you an upgrade or two.

Check the forums for other brands and get a feel for issues they may have.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:52 AM   #4

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
I too suggest that you steer clear of Dutchmen and any other Thor Industries products.

I have lost all faith in any Thor built camper and customer service is hit or miss. Have you looked at the west coast products, the savings in transportation costs will buy you an upgrade or two.

Check the forums for other brands and get a feel for issues they may have.
What are some of the west coast products? We gave a budget around 30-35K. Thanks for your comments they will definitely help.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:54 AM   #5

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawpilot View Post
You'll get differing opinions on this site about Dutchmen products. Is the new purchase new or used? If new plan on a very thorough Pre-delivery inspection (PDI). This being a big purchase for you get used to the idea that no trailers come without issues. If you get lucky, the problems will only be small ones. If this new trailer has slides you'll want to search Schwintek slides on this site and decide for yourself if these are reliable enough to insure your not making a mistake. My personal opinion, and it is just my opinion, is to steer clear of Dutchmen. The brand is now part of Keystone and will in all likelihood soon disappear.
Thanks for your comments. Do you gave any suggestions for a budget of 30-35K?
Old 08-21-2014, 05:24 AM   #6

Washington
I wish I could say go and look at "brand X", it's a great unit. But as I said before, all trailers have some problems, and it's a crapshoot as to what you're going to get. What I will suggest is this. Try and find a floor plan that works for you and do that staying away from the Schwintek slides. It truly is only a matter of time before they fail. Do your research carefully, there are immense resources on the web. Take your time. Don't buy pretty. The manufacturers make these things look really good while hiding all the imperfections. If the dealer won't spend the day with you showing you how everything works and that it works, walk away. And send me a private message if you want to talk. Just click on my username and send a private message. You're in Everette and I'm in Mt. Vernon. Best wishes that you get what you want.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:31 PM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKJ View Post
Hi everyone,

We are seriously thinking about purchasing a Dutchman Denali 274REX 5th Wheel very soon. We just sold our Nash 20' travel trailer so we're moving on up to something bigger. I would appreciate any feedback you can give me both good and bad on this RV. We're very excited but it is a big purchase for us and I want to make sure we're not making a mistake.
The funny thing is I just sold my Dodge Dakota yesterday because it could not pull the 5th wheel. Does anyone have recommendations on what truck will pull this 10,000lb trailer. I'm currently looking for a used 3/4 ton truck with a V10 engine. I really appreciate ANY feedback and look forward to the discussion.
A Ford 3/4 ton with a V-10 would pull a 10,000 lbs 5th wheel fine. Look for one that has a tow package. I've had quite a few different brands of RV's over the last 30 years. I've bought new & used. I've put 5,000 miles on my Voltage with no major problems at all. I would check out used along with new. I've found some great deals that way.
If you are looking for the best that would be a Teton. They aren't mad any more & there smallest one which I have still is in the 15k lbs so too heavy for you. I also had good luck with Montana's just stay away from rear kitchen models of any 5th wheel.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:28 PM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKJ View Post
What are some of the west coast products? We gave a budget around 30-35K. Thanks for your comments they will definitely help.
Try this site, it will give you camper manufacturers by state. RV Manufacturers CA - Motorhome, Campers, Travel Trailer Rental CA
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:36 PM   #9

Washington
Thank You