New to forum and Dutchman - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2014, 05:38 AM   #1

California
New to forum and Dutchman

Hello all! Just picked up a 2015 Aerolite 282DBHS. Very impressed with it so far, as far as looks and layout go.
Hope to get it out for its maiden voyage soon.
Hope to be gathering a lot of information, tips, & modifications from everyone here, as well as providing a few as well.

rkoll001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:09 AM   #2

British Columbia
Welcome.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:56 AM   #3

Ontario
We just bought the same TT about a month ago. We just LOVE it so far Enjoy and welcome!
WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:19 PM   #4

Tennessee
I was impressed with mine at first, just wait until you use it. Just a bunch of lazy slapped together mistakes. Busted drawer latch blocks all over the place, drawer slides held up by a single tiny screw. Outdoor stove hitting the bathroom drain pipe. Many other "minor" items.

I just pray the shell and roof are built with a little more care.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #5

California
I'm new to the Dutchman line of trailers, not new to TT, this is my 4th TT. One thing that I have learned is, there is never a perfect product, no matter what it is, (RV, auto, home...). Have you ever heard of the "Monday or Friday" product? The products that were made on those days are usually the worst ones... Everyone is dragging butt on Monday and on Friday, everyone is concerned about the weekend. Fact of the matter is, everyone has their bad days, and that reflects in their performance... This applies to everything, manufactured products to manual labor.
Yes, it's a shame that you spend a lot of your hard earned $$ on something, only to find out that it has a flaw, or poor workmanship. That's life when you are a consumer! If you want something to be perfect, do it yourself...
I don't mind fixing little things here and there, I figure it's to be expected. That's why we modify things, to make them better and/or how we want them.
I never let anyone work on my autos, motorcycles, or RV, I don't trust anyone. By doing it myself, I know that it will be done and done right!
I don't have anything against people who don't want to or aren't capable of doing repairs on their own. However, don't complain about things if they are not exactly how you want it.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:04 PM   #6

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkoll001 View Post
I'm new to the Dutchman line of trailers, not new to TT, this is my 4th TT. One thing that I have learned is, there is never a perfect product, no matter what it is, (RV, auto, home...). Have you ever heard of the "Monday or Friday" product? The products that were made on those days are usually the worst ones... Everyone is dragging butt on Monday and on Friday, everyone is concerned about the weekend. Fact of the matter is, everyone has their bad days, and that reflects in their performance... This applies to everything, manufactured products to manual labor.
Yes, it's a shame that you spend a lot of your hard earned $$ on something, only to find out that it has a flaw, or poor workmanship. That's life when you are a consumer! If you want something to be perfect, do it yourself...
I don't mind fixing little things here and there, I figure it's to be expected. That's why we modify things, to make them better and/or how we want them.
I never let anyone work on my autos, motorcycles, or RV, I don't trust anyone. By doing it myself, I know that it will be done and done right!
I don't have anything against people who don't want to or aren't capable of doing repairs on their own. However, don't complain about things if they are not exactly how you want it.
Agree 10000%
Old 08-19-2014, 05:15 PM   #7

Washington
Quote:
Get back to us on "fixing it yourself" when your slides detonate. We don't ask for perfection but halfway thought out engineering would have been nice. Customer support would be even nicer. Since your new to Dutchmen you still have that surprise coming.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:37 PM   #8

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawpilot View Post
Get back to us on "fixing it yourself" when your slides detonate. We don't ask for perfection but halfway thought out engineering would have been nice. Customer support would be even nicer. Since your new to Dutchmen you still have that surprise coming.
As this may be the case for the future... (I hope that proper care and storage will prolong the life of the trailer) I have seen this on many different manufactures, in fact my last 2 TT, one made by Keystone & one made by Skyline, started delaminating on the front. I'm sure this is part my fault, due to not keeping up on the maintenance (washing & waxing) and not keeping it covered during storage. A friends Weekend Warrior also had some delaminating issues. This is the nature of choosing fiberglass/laminate siding. I don't think any manufacture is immune to it?
I'm not looking to create enemies or starting any wars.... I'm simply saying that there is no "perfect" product out there and we are all going to experience issues. Engineering and product advancements/quality continue to evolve and improve. There are problems and benefits with both fiberglass and aluminum. We have to weigh all the options and ultimately it's up to you, the consumer, to decide what's best for you.
It's like Chevy vs. Ford vs. Dodge, etc... You have a choice in what you purchase, and they all have good point as well as bad.
As far as "Customer Service" goes.... I have never relied on that, been disappointed too many times. I rely on myself!
This is the reason for "Forums", to pass on experiences and tips to members. Doom and gloom, negative remarks, and complaining doesn't change the fact that there are going to be issues with a product/company. If you can't accept this or simply can't live with it, sell it and try something else.
I have already picked up a few good tips and things to look out for on the site.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:43 PM   #9

Tennessee
Quote:
I would say i'm above average in the handy department, I'm modifying the tv bay as we speak. Stuff that is falling off from the factory because of laziness is a whole different matter. If you're content with crap workmanship, that's fine, i'm not.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:07 PM   #10

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
I would say i'm above average in the handy department, I'm modifying the tv bay as we speak. Stuff that is falling off from the factory because of laziness is a whole different matter. If you're content with crap workmanship, that's fine, i'm not.
I agree with you! No, I'm not happy with "crap workmanship"! You're going to get that with most manufacturers... Complaining about it isn't going to change it though.
The manufacturer doesn't really give a crap!
Old 08-19-2014, 09:11 PM   #11

Tennessee
Yeah, I really didn't mean to hijack your introduction thread with my complaints. We are really happy with it overall so far, just kinda shocked with how sloppy some things were done. This is our first new rv, so it's all to to us. Anyways, welcome.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:50 PM   #12

Ontario
crap workmanship goes hand in hand when you are talking about trailers it seems unfortunately. I have listened to Airstream owners complain also which is mind boggling considering what they pay for their units.

When I first started looking for a TT, I had it in my mind...buy the best quality TT. I googled, I read ALL the forums out there. Is there such a thing lol One member on here said...they are all ****, find the floor plan you like and go with it lol Golden advice in my mind. Is it right, nope but that is the nature of the beast.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:37 AM   #13
Site Team

North Carolina
AFAIK there is no perfect RV builder, some come closer than others but even they have occasional glitches. Do your research, go to shows, poke and prod. Above all else DON'T buy on an emotional level. If one unit has more gee golly whiz stuff than another and is cheaper... beware... they cut corners somewhere! I have been messing with RV's for over 35 years and every time I think I have see it all, along comes something else stupid. I have a couple of vintage Airstreams and you would not believe some of the stupid stuff I have found on them. Dutchmen has a well deserved reputation for crappy construction and bad customer service. One of the reasons they have been dissolved and the day to day taken over by Keystone.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:24 AM   #14

South Carolina
I've reflected on the above comments, and have come to a thought or two. Airstream or Dutchman, we are NOT buying vehicles, we are buying buildings. Buildings with wheels. What I mean by this is that our builders DO NOT follow the standardized plans, blueprints, wiring diagrams, etc, that Chevy or Ford or Chrysler do. They build them as they go, just like a real estate developer in your home town does. Two homes, right next door, built one month apart might have a different wiring or plumbing scheme. They "wing it" as they move on. SO DOES the TT Industry! You can't get a wiring diagram from Dutchman any more than you can from the guy who laid out your neighborhood! Warranty repairs are of the same nature, i.e. they will get the thing running again, but it may or may not be like today's model.
I'm not saying this is right or wrong; I'm just saying that's the way it is!
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:27 AM   #15
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
I've reflected on the above comments, and have come to a thought or two. Airstream or Dutchman, we are NOT buying vehicles, we are buying buildings. Buildings with wheels. What I mean by this is that our builders DO NOT follow the standardized plans, blueprints, wiring diagrams, etc, that Chevy or Ford or Chrysler do. They build them as they go, just like a real estate developer in your home town does. Two homes, right next door, built one month apart might have a different wiring or plumbing scheme. They "wing it" as they move on. SO DOES the TT Industry! You can't get a wiring diagram from Dutchman any more than you can from the guy who laid out your neighborhood! Warranty repairs are of the same nature, i.e. they will get the thing running again, but it may or may not be like today's model.
I'm not saying this is right or wrong; I'm just saying that's the way it is!
Yes and no...

Airstream used to provide wiring diagrams, I don't know if they still do or not. Big Horn did in their shop manuals, but they have since been bought out by Thor so who knows.

I have a 1975 and 1981 Airstream. I have full manuals for both of them, the owner's manual is a 1/2" thick spiral bound book, the service manual is over an inch thick. They also had a dealer's manual that was over 2" thick (hard to come by). What I find interesting is that they did not have owner's manuals prior to about 1970, or post 1986.

They could provide manuals, they provide building plans for houses that show where stuff is suppose to be. Now whether someone follows those or not is a whole different issue. Houses are not just thrown together, there has to be a plan of some sort.

In the interest of the ever increasing profit they cut things out that THEY think aren't profitable, comprehensive service/owner's manuals being one of them. In the longer run it costs them money, but they are too short sighted to see that.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote