New since Hershey Show 2015 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2015, 04:22 PM   #1

Maryland
New since Hershey Show 2015

My wife & I are new to the RV scene; researching mainly. We went to the Hershey show and have decided to buy a new 5er next year after looking at Class C, TT and 5ers. We only saw 5 manufacturers that we actually liked 1-2 of their units. We fell in love with the 2016 Denali 316 RES. We didn't buy since we wanted to decide on the RVs we liked and then take our time researching the manufacturers. After spending hours on these threads for Dutchmen 5ers it makes me very leery about buying any Dutchmen product. Should I drop my consideration for this product or are most manufacturers the same? I do realize that an RV is a house in a permanent earthquake zone. We will be living full-time in whatever we purchase but for the next 5 years it will only be on the road for 5-6 weeks each year until I retire. Thanks for any and all input/opinions.

graser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:57 PM   #2

Wyoming
In this price range, I think you'll find the quality pretty much the same across the board.

Thor Industries has bought up over 90% of the RV market in the past few years. What that means is that all of their brands pretty much roll off of the same assembly lines... they just slap a on Dutchmen plate, or Keystone, Coleman, Forest River, etc depending on whatever's called for on the spec sheet.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:30 PM   #3

Arizona
Knowing what I know now after owning two trailers, if I had it to do over again, I would instead get a used, high-level diesel pusher (Country Coach, Newmar, Monaco, for example) rather than deal with all the sub-standard build issues and lack-luster quality of RV trailers. The high-end motorhomes have better build quality and better quality overall. They even have detailed owner's manuals that you won't find with your trailer, which tend to be very generic over several different lines the manufacturer produces. I have yet to find a plumbing or coax schematic for my Voltage, for example.

I had many issues to deal with after buying my new Voltage. I chose to do the work myself rather than trust the dealer to do a day's work in less than a month. After 1.5 years, we've got our trailer,s issues sorted out.

Latest was a leaky window in the main slide. Dealer tried to fix it and couldn't. I fixed it when I found it was actually water seeping in from the top of the slide, a simple fix. Why couldn't the dealer figure that out. Other issues involved duct and vent taping of the a/c system, which I took care of myself.

Hope your new trailer works perfectly.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:49 PM   #4

California
If you are looking for a 5th wheel RV to full time in I would still look around. I can see why you liked that floor plan though. I have a Voltage & a Teton and I can say the Teton is better insulated & built then the Voltage. Teton has true all hardwood inside no veneers. Inside wood looks as good as the day I bought it.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:17 AM   #5

Nevada
I have had 3 5th Wheels, some Good, Some Bad, I have friends who have a Newmar Class A and another who has a 150K Class C, both have had minor repairs, I have been lucky on my Voltage, only minor repairs, so far….Pick the right one for your Family, Try to get the best deal, and have the right Truck to pull the weight…..Enjoy and welcome to Camping
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
316, denali, denali complaints, denali problems