New Owners - Coleman LT CTS16QB - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2015, 01:28 PM   #1

New Jersey
New Owners - Coleman LT CTS16QB

Our tow vehicle is a Chevy Traverse with tow package installed, electric brake controller, and Reese anti-sway weight dist hitch.

As for the travel trailer... It's a beauty!

After 30+ years tent camping, my wife and I just purchased a Dutchmen Coleman LT model CTS16QB last week and already took it out on the "maiden voyage". We are RV newbies for sure!

Scariest thing so far -
Gps took us down a side road ***way*** off the beaten path where we did our first backup. Like jumping into a pool to learn how to swim. Heh heh...

Funniest thing so far -
How do we turn on the propane heater???! Where's the pilot light? Where's the manual? etc. 30 minutes later... Oh... just turn on the wall thermostat.

Most surprising thing so far -
The sheer volume of manuals and brochures we got.

Just wanted to say "Hi" to the community.

Ken & Lin-Marie

kalm_in_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:32 PM   #2

South Carolina
Welcome aboard! We had a CTS14FD, which is even smaller! It was great. One thing to watch for: Make sure the wall-mounted AC drips its water outside the drip edge. Ours ran down the inside wall until I fixed it. There's a thread here under my name with pictures. See you on the road!

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:37 PM   #3

Illinois
Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalm_in_NJ View Post
Our tow vehicle is a Chevy Traverse with tow package installed, electric brake controller, and Reese anti-sway weight dist hitch.

As for the travel trailer... It's a beauty!

After 30+ years tent camping, my wife and I just purchased a Dutchmen Coleman LT model CTS16QB last week and already took it out on the "maiden voyage". We are RV newbies for sure!

Scariest thing so far -
Gps took us down a side road ***way*** off the beaten path where we did our first backup. Like jumping into a pool to learn how to swim. Heh heh...

Funniest thing so far -
How do we turn on the propane heater???! Where's the pilot light? Where's the manual? etc. 30 minutes later... Oh... just turn on the wall thermostat.

Most surprising thing so far -
The sheer volume of manuals and brochures we got.

Just wanted to say "Hi" to the community.

Ken & Lin-Marie
Welcome. You'll love this forum. We've been using it for 6 months since we first ordered our unit. You'll learn 10 times more from it than the worthless, generic paperwork that they throw in your unit. Guys like "Pirate" Aztex", and "Cale" to name a few are real pro's and can answer most anything. We're "newbie's" ourselves and going out the first time this weekend. Have fun.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:09 PM   #4

Montana
The furnace and water heater likely have electronic ignitors and there is no pilot light to worry about. Stove top range may have a knob to twist that will create a spark to light the burners, like a gas grill ignitor. Ovens still tend to use a pilot light, if your TT is equipped with one. I looked at a pic of your model TT and it just had the gas range similar to our old one which I believe required a manual lighting of the burners.

If you're heading off the beaten path, it sounds like you're partaking in "boondocking" which is camping off grid (no water or electric hookups, often in a primitive spot, like tent camping but in a TT!). That is our style. If that's the case, here is some good reading on the electrical side of your TT that is hopefully more educational than trying to understand the many manuals.
The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
There's a part 2 as well.

And here's a plumbing system intro.
http://www.rv-insight.com/RV-Plumbing.html
Old 04-28-2015, 10:34 PM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
Welcome to the funny farm... I mean Forums!

I have a early 2015 CTS16FBS which is the same as yours. Any specific questions just ask, I have been taking things apart and improving since the day I brought it home. Here is a link to my "mod" thread. If you have any specific questions please ask! I will be more than happy to help.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:22 PM   #6

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
Welcome aboard! We had a CTS14FD, which is even smaller! It was great. One thing to watch for: Make sure the wall-mounted AC drips its water outside the drip edge. Ours ran down the inside wall until I fixed it. There's a thread here under my name with pictures. See you on the road!
Thanks. I looked at your pics and description of the A/C drainage problem. Looks like a real pain. Hopefully mine won't be the same but I'll ask the RV mechanic to check it out so at least I know where we stand. They're already making 3 other "tweaks" for us next week :

First thing is when we turned on the cabin radio near our entrance door it didn't tune any stations in at all. Yet our little transistor radio pulled in lots of stations. I'm thinking the antenna is not connected. We've also got a TV hookup and antenna but no TV at present. Seems like the radio should hook into that or at least *something* right?

Second thing is when we hooked up to city water (through pressure reducer and filter) the sink faucet dripped onto the counter during use. Probably just a washer or something but it freaked us out. No water under the cabinet or connections thank goodness. There's no leak when we use the faucet with freshwater tank and pump. Maybe less pressure?

Third, we haven't actually used the cabin shower yet but the shower floor feels soft in one place on the toilet side. I heard it crunch when I stepped there moving some water bottles around. Wondering if I'm too heavy or whatever is going on.

Thanks again. I'll probably ping some more questions your way as we go...
Ken
High-Energy JRT (Jack Russell Terrier)
Old 04-29-2015, 12:37 PM   #7

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Welcome to the funny farm... I mean Forums!

I have a early 2015 CTS16FBS which is the same as yours. Any specific questions just ask, I have been taking things apart and improving since the day I brought it home. Here is a link to my "mod" thread. If you have any specific questions please ask! I will be more than happy to help.

Aaron
Wow. Thanks! If I start doing mods right now my head will explode. Haha! I'm sure it won't be long before I start though. Like for example, the fridge in propane mode has a really neat igniter but the stove top doesn't. I bet it would be really easy to put one on the stove top. Stuff like that you know?

Anyway, Thanks.
Ken
Old 04-29-2015, 12:48 PM   #8

New Jersey
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post
The furnace and water heater likely have electronic ignitors and there is no pilot light to worry about. Stove top range may have a knob to twist that will create a spark to light the burners, like a gas grill ignitor. Ovens still tend to use a pilot light, if your TT is equipped with one. I looked at a pic of your model TT and it just had the gas range similar to our old one which I believe required a manual lighting of the burners.

If you're heading off the beaten path, it sounds like you're partaking in "boondocking" which is camping off grid (no water or electric hookups, often in a primitive spot, like tent camping but in a TT!). That is our style. If that's the case, here is some good reading on the electrical side of your TT that is hopefully more educational than trying to understand the many manuals.
The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
There's a part 2 as well.

And here's a plumbing system intro.
RV Plumbing | Fresh Water Tank | Dump Tanks | Water Heater | Grey
Thanks for the info. That 12V page looked interesting. At some point I will install additional batteries, an inverter, and solar panels.

I said "heater" in my first post but I meant "furnace" and you're right. It self-ignites. The funny part was that we forgot that and searched for a half hour and even took the front plate off before I realized it would light itself.

Our water heater has a pilot light and like you said the stove top is manual-light. The fridge runs off AC or propane and in propane mode you have to press the ignitor button to light it.

Ken
Old 04-29-2015, 12:53 PM   #9

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Welcome. You'll love this forum. We've been using it for 6 months since we first ordered our unit. You'll learn 10 times more from it than the worthless, generic paperwork that they throw in your unit. Guys like "Pirate" Aztex", and "Cale" to name a few are real pro's and can answer most anything. We're "newbie's" ourselves and going out the first time this weekend. Have fun.
Rusty
This forum is definitely better than a pile of manuals. And more fun than a barrel of monkeys? Anyway good luck with your new addition. See you out there!

Ken
Old 04-29-2015, 06:34 PM   #10
Site Team

North Carolina
The radio I can help with...

You have to have the TV signal amplifier/booster on. There is a little button on the plate where the TV cable hooks up, push it and an LED should come on, mine happens to be green, It also helps if you put the TV antenna up too. Not quite sure why it is done this way. I have had RV's in the past with stand alone antennas for the radio.

Just an FYI the faucets are cheap, very cheap, plastic. Eventually I will replace mine with something a bit more substantial.

Another thing is DO NOT allow any water to reach any counter top edges, it will swell. Ours did it on the left end in front of the stove. That is on my list of things to replace too. Not sure if I am going to use a postform top from Lowes or build my own. Apparently they used cardboard as a substrate considering how easily and quickly it swells when it gets wet.

Aaron
Old 04-29-2015, 07:43 PM   #11

South Carolina
Quote:
Second thing is when we hooked up to city water (through pressure reducer and filter) the sink faucet dripped onto the counter during use. Probably just a washer or something but it freaked us out. No water under the cabinet or connections thank goodness. There's no leak when we use the faucet with freshwater tank and pump. Maybe less pressure?

Third, we haven't actually used the cabin shower yet but the shower floor feels soft in one place on the toilet side. I heard it crunch when I stepped there moving some water bottles around. Wondering if I'm too heavy or whatever is going on.

Thanks again. I'll probably ping some more questions your way as we go...
Ken
As Aaron said, the faucet is cheap plastic. Ours popped off once. Unscrew the collar, and gently pull it up and out. Check the O-ring seal. Then put it on carefully, it is very easy to get cross-threaded. If nothing's broke, that should do it.

The shower sounds serious, better have it checked out. I weigh well over 200, and never had an issue like that.

Aaron beat me to the antenna answer. The antenna amplifier actually has two outlets (it's in your package of manuals). The one inside the wall is wired to the antenna input on the car-style radio. Because of the metal siding, it needs to have an external antenna.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:51 AM   #12

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
The radio I can help with...

You have to have the TV signal amplifier/booster on. There is a little button on the plate where the TV cable hooks up, push it and an LED should come on, mine happens to be green, It also helps if you put the TV antenna up too. Not quite sure why it is done this way. I have had RV's in the past with stand alone antennas for the radio.

Just an FYI the faucets are cheap, very cheap, plastic. Eventually I will replace mine with something a bit more substantial.

Another thing is DO NOT allow any water to reach any counter top edges, it will swell. Ours did it on the left end in front of the stove. That is on my list of things to replace too. Not sure if I am going to use a postform top from Lowes or build my own. Apparently they used cardboard as a substrate considering how easily and quickly it swells when it gets wet.

Aaron
Thanks. My co-pilot suggested that but I thought the boost mode was just for the TV and surely the radio connects directly to the roof antenna. Silly me...

I forgot that our RV is a giant Faraday cage.

As for the faucet I'm happy to let the dealership look it over for now. I think if I were to replace anything I'd start with a small (but deeper) stainless steel sink and a much higher-end Delta faucet. Nothing too-too heavy or big though.

Ken
Old 04-30-2015, 02:00 AM   #13

New Jersey
Quote:
As Aaron said, the faucet is cheap plastic. Ours popped off once. Unscrew the collar, and gently pull it up and out. Check the O-ring seal. Then put it on carefully, it is very easy to get cross-threaded. If nothing's broke, that should do it.

The shower sounds serious, better have it checked out. I weigh well over 200, and never had an issue like that.

Aaron beat me to the antenna answer. The antenna amplifier actually has two outlets (it's in your package of manuals). The one inside the wall is wired to the antenna input on the car-style radio. Because of the metal siding, it needs to have an external antenna.
I like how you guys think though. I'll get the shower checked out next week.
Ken
Old 04-30-2015, 10:15 AM   #14
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Thanks. My co-pilot suggested that but I thought the boost mode was just for the TV and surely the radio connects directly to the roof antenna. Silly me...

I forgot that our RV is a giant Faraday cage.

As for the faucet I'm happy to let the dealership look it over for now. I think if I were to replace anything I'd start with a small (but deeper) stainless steel sink and a much higher-end Delta faucet. Nothing too-too heavy or big though.

Ken
My unit will be out of warranty this June, I am already looking for a sink, faucet and counter top. May be next year before it gets put in though

Actually our units aren't really a Faraday Cage... we have wooden framing, just lots of aluminum siding, which wreaks havoc with electronic signals, especially the digital ones.

Aaron
Old 05-12-2015, 06:40 PM   #15

New Jersey
Quote:

So it turns out the RV maintenance shop had to replace our "sink ornament" with an actual working faucet. I'll replace it and the sink with something in stainless steel next year but for now it's fine and no more leaks!

The antenna works differently now. I think it was wired up wrong before but the mechanics claim differently. Anyway, we get no reception now without the booster turned on. First chance I get I'm going to check out that wiring myself. We don't have a TV yet but will probably purchase a dual power (AC/12VDC) LED model that can also play DVDs and cook bacon. Still looking for my outside cable TV jack...

The shower turned out to be ok and the spot I felt is no longer soft. I tried it out this weekend and everything works perfectly.
Ken
Old 05-12-2015, 07:22 PM   #16

South Carolina
Good to hear all is well. The booster must be turned on to get not only TV signals, but radio signals as well. I found a TV that you describe (without bacon!) at Amazon. Happy camping!
Old 05-12-2015, 11:30 PM   #17

Oklahoma
Quote:
So it turns out the RV maintenance shop had to replace our "sink ornament" with an actual working faucet. I'll replace it and the sink with something in stainless steel next year but for now it's fine and no more leaks!

The antenna works differently now. I think it was wired up wrong before but the mechanics claim differently. Anyway, we get no reception now without the booster turned on. First chance I get I'm going to check out that wiring myself. We don't have a TV yet but will probably purchase a dual power (AC/12VDC) LED model that can also play DVDs and cook bacon. Still looking for my outside cable TV jack...

The shower turned out to be ok and the spot I felt is no longer soft. I tried it out this weekend and everything works perfectly.
Ken
The problem with combo TVs/DVD players is if one part of the unit has to go for service you lose the other part too. Not to mention no bacon for a few weeks.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:43 PM   #18
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
~snip~ Still looking for my outside cable TV jack... ~snip~

Ken
There ain't one...

If you want one you will have to either install it yourself or pay someone to do it.

I am going to put one on the rear near the spare, unless I get a wild hair and decide to fish a cable over to the left side of the trailer.

Aaron
Old 05-14-2015, 02:31 PM   #19

New Jersey
Quote:
Good to hear all is well. The booster must be turned on to get not only TV signals, but radio signals as well. I found a TV that you describe (without bacon!) at Amazon. Happy camping!
Thanks.

Hey on a side note, I read on here somewhere that you were in the military and you're from S.C. so you'd appreciate this even from a "Yankee". :-)

I was just talking to an engineer where I work and it turns out he was active duty Navy like me and we both served at the *same* pier in the Charleston Navy Base. He was there early 70's and I was there late 70's. We were aboard 2 different ships but directly across the same pier on the base. Small world...

We were talking about how scary the old Cooper River bridge (2 lanes, 1 in each direction) was to drive over. Played chicken with a lot of big trucks on that rickity old bridge. It was especially scary going under in our ships. It always seemed like the mast was going to hit.

Hard to believe the base and bridge are gone now. And even harder to realize that was almost 40 years ago!

So my wife and I loved living there and think often about going back to SC. Besides palmetto bugs and sudden rain squalls I remember how much I liked getting away from Sprull Avenue and exploring the state. Any good campgrounds left down there?

Ken
Old 05-14-2015, 02:40 PM   #20

Oklahoma
Quote:
Thanks.

Hey on a side note, I read on here somewhere that you were in the military and you're from S.C. so you'd appreciate this even from a "Yankee". :-)

I was just talking to an engineer where I work and it turns out he was active duty Navy like me and we both served at the *same* pier in the Charleston Navy Base. He was there early 70's and I was there late 70's. We were aboard 2 different ships but directly across the same pier on the base. Small world...

We were talking about how scary the old Cooper River bridge (2 lanes, 1 in each direction) was to drive over. Played chicken with a lot of big trucks on that rickity old bridge. It was especially scary going under in our ships. It always seemed like the mast was going to hit.

Hard to believe the base and bridge are gone now. And even harder to realize that was almost 40 years ago!

So my wife and I loved living there and think often about going back to SC. Besides palmetto bugs and sudden rain squalls I remember how much I liked getting away from Sprull Avenue and exploring the state. Any good campgrounds left down there?

Ken
Welcome home - Hard to believe I have been out of the USAF for almost 40 years now...

Red Badger is offline   Reply With Quote