New owner of an Atlas 5th Wheel. - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2018, 11:16 PM   #1

Nevada
New owner of an Atlas 5th Wheel.

Pick it up on Saturday. It is a new model so I am diving in without a whole lot of information, but hey, someone has to do it. I do have a question about the in-command system. I do a lot of dry camping and just wanted to know how hard is it on the battery. Seems like if it is on monitoring the rig it would obviously be draining on my battery. I have a portable generator but I don't want to constantly have to charge batteries just to keep it running.

RSNK61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:59 PM   #2

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSNK61 View Post
Pick it up on Saturday. It is a new model so I am diving in without a whole lot of information, but hey, someone has to do it. I do have a question about the in-command system. I do a lot of dry camping and just wanted to know how hard is it on the battery. Seems like if it is on monitoring the rig it would obviously be draining on my battery. I have a portable generator but I don't want to constantly have to charge batteries just to keep it running.
Congrats on your purchase. TWO batteries are better than one for dry camping. They run down pretty quickly so the generator will come in handy. Takes a long time to charge them. Maybe you should consider a solar option for battery and dry camping. They're pretty reasonable now.

Stove, hot water heater, and fridge can run on gas. The propane igniter depends on battery for it to start. Lamps in the coach should be LED, if not, replace them.

This may help (a little)

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:09 AM   #3

Nevada
Thanks for the reply. I was actually wondering what kind of draw the in-command system has on batteries. Seems like it would put quite a strain on them. Not sure how smart the dealer will actually be on it.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:10 AM   #4

Florida
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I was actually wondering what kind of draw the in-command system has on batteries. Seems like it would put quite a strain on them. Not sure how smart the dealer will actually be on it.
DON'T DEPEND ON THE DEALER FOR INFORMATION. They're sales guys and you know what happens when their lips are moving. Also, there are checklists here that are VERY helpful for RV Pre Pickup Examinations. Do a little search for them.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:31 AM   #5

Nevada
Thanks again, great idea found one. They may hate seeing me coming
2013 Ford F350
Old 03-15-2018, 01:54 AM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Thanks again, great idea found one. They may hate seeing me coming
Make them fix anything you find. Be patient but tough and thorough.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:52 AM   #7

California
My unofficial response on the inCommand system is that it draws very little power. It is like a small tablet or a smartphone that doesn’t even have a color screen. It uses Bluetooth to connect which is fairly low power. It also dims after a little while so I can’t imagine you need to worry about it.

However, this is all speculation and I really have no true information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2018, 09:19 AM   #8

Florida
In my experience, leaving the batteries connected, they will eventually drain due to the fact that the "systems" are still using power. The radio, the TV, the Microwave, the in command system, all those things are draining the battery and eventually, the battery will be dead (happens in storage all the time). I put a 100 watt solar panel on my RV to maintain the battery and keep those "vampires" from sucking the life out of the battery. the on command system may not draw that much current but together, they do. The best way to figure out how much power it draws is to look in the manual for standby power. That's the system manual, not the rv owner's manual. In my experience, the dealership will tell you to call the system manufacturer.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:49 AM   #9
Site Team

North Carolina
I don't know which system you have but according to the manual for the Pro Plus system the Body Control Module (BCM) pulls a max of 8.5 amps, the Display Commander (DC) pulls a max of 1.5 amps. I checked the other two systems they offer, the DC's all pull 1.5 amps the BCM's vary, highest being 8.5 amps the lowest 4 amps. I would plan to either completely disconnect the battery or make arrangements for some sort of power source to keep your battery(s) topped up.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:07 AM   #10

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I don't know which system you have but according to the manual for the Pro Plus system the Body Control Module (BCM) pulls a max of 8.5 amps, the Display Commander (DC) pulls a max of 1.5 amps. I checked the other two systems they offer, the DC's all pull 1.5 amps the BCM's vary, highest being 8.5 amps the lowest 4 amps. I would plan to either completely disconnect the battery or make arrangements for some sort of power source to keep you battery(s) topped up.

Aaron
WOW! That's ALOT!
Old 03-16-2018, 11:39 AM   #11

Texas
Aaron to the rescue once again! Awesome! Why I love this forum.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:59 PM   #12

Nevada
Thumbs down

Quote:
I don't know which system you have but according to the manual for the Pro Plus system the Body Control Module (BCM) pulls a max of 8.5 amps, the Display Commander (DC) pulls a max of 1.5 amps. I checked the other two systems they offer, the DC's all pull 1.5 amps the BCM's vary, highest being 8.5 amps the lowest 4 amps. I would plan to either completely disconnect the battery or make arrangements for some sort of power source to keep you battery(s) topped up.

Aaron
I Think it is the PRO.
DC: Maximum Current Draw . . . . . . . . . . . .1.5A@9VDC
BCM: Maximum Current Draw . . . . . . . . . . 4A@12VDC

I Can't imagine they would put the high end one in. I will have to check to see what I can and cannot do manually. I am not sure what the real advantage is to have this system, unless it is more accurate on monitoring your tanks and such. Just something else to draw on the battery
2013 Ford F350
Old 03-16-2018, 05:40 PM   #13
Site Team

North Carolina
No clue about these systems. I have seen them in a few units we looked at, but don't see a huge value in them. Maybe in a million dollar bus... maybe.

All of my stuff is old school flip switches. We have one LED string under the counter edge that is on remote. The color LED's that I plan to put under the awing will be on remote, well actually bluetooth through my cellphone, but that is pretty much it.

Aaron
Old 03-27-2018, 08:07 PM   #14

California
Advantage for me is that I can close and open slides from my iPhone while outside to watch what is happening or anywhere for that matter. I also like being able to check the holding tanks. And when camping at night you can turn on all or what they call “night lights” from outside the trailer.

Oh yeah and same for water heater. Last weekend we were out at the fire and I was able to fire up the water without going inside so shower was ready to go when we went in.

And if you are outside locking the door and forget what is turned on you can check too. No worries about “did I remember to turn the water pump off as you are walking away.

Look, none of these are that big a deal in reality but still nice to have for me. I guess if you are the guy that thinks a temperature control on your car’s a/c is stupid because you can adjust hot and cold yourself then you might feel the same about this.

If I recall the inCommand is not an option but standard on Voltage starting in 2018 I think so they will gradually become more common place.

Old 03-28-2018, 12:20 AM   #15
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsol View Post
Advantage for me is that I can close and open slides from my iPhone while outside to watch what is happening or anywhere for that matter. I also like being able to check the holding tanks. And when camping at night you can turn on all or what they call “night lights” from outside the trailer.

Oh yeah and same for water heater. Last weekend we were out at the fire and I was able to fire up the water without going inside so shower was ready to go when we went in.

And if you are outside locking the door and forget what is turned on you can check too. No worries about “did I remember to turn the water pump off as you are walking away.

Look, none of these are that big a deal in reality but still nice to have for me. I guess if you are the guy that thinks a temperature control on your car’s a/c is stupid because you can adjust hot and cold yourself then you might feel the same about this.

If I recall the inCommand is not an option but standard on Voltage starting in 2018 I think so they will gradually become more common place.

That's all good until something craps out, like the iPhone or one of the modules. Or they refuse to "talk" to each other. I maintain the electronic crap around here, along with all the mechanical stuff. And the electronics are great, when they work, when they go south it is a PITA to repair... if you can even get parts. We had a fancy pants washing machine and dryer, the CM went out on the washer, 6 week wait on parts, comes in and it wasn't the right one. They are still looking for the correct one. I put it out on the carport and went and got the old mechanical washing machine back from the barn.

Aaron
Old 03-28-2018, 03:08 AM   #16

California
Quote:
That's all good until something craps out, like the iPhone or one of the modules. Or they refuse to "talk" to each other. I maintain the electronic crap around here, along with all the mechanical stuff. And the electronics are great, when they work, when they go south it is a PITA to repair... if you can even get parts. We had a fancy pants washing machine and dryer, the CM went out on the washer, 6 week wait on parts, comes in and it wasn't the right one. They are still looking for the correct one. I put it out on the carport and went and got the old mechanical washing machine back from the barn.

Aaron

Anything can break. Don’t forget the inCommand still has the touch display inside the trailer too if Bluetooth or phone quits or both.

Aaron, you might be right and the entire system could crap out but switches break too and so do LED level gauges.

I am not here to try and tell you inCommand is better or more reliable. Just answering the question about what I like about it. I was really intrigued when I read about it and have been really happy with it so far The good news is the app can be updated when bugs are identified too.

There are some overrides on the control panel in the storage compartment too if you need to manually control anything. I have had the cover off to look and wiring and switches look decent to me. Wires are fused and labeled clearly so I am crossing my fingers.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:13 AM   #17

Nevada
Second question: It has 2 grey and 1 black tank. There are 3 vents in line running right to left. I would like to know which one is my black tank and which one is the grey galley tank. Or how to figure it out. I purchased 2 for 1 Cyclone holding tank vents to install. I haven't had a chance to get it out yet so I have not used the tanks

Thank you,

Rex Dalton
2013 Ford F350
Old 04-27-2018, 12:13 AM   #18

Nevada
So I emailed Dutchmen with this same question. After 4 days of correspondence here is my reply: "I regret to inform you that wiring/plumbing diagrams and schematics are not available due to the rapid changes with our units in manufacturing." Really you couldn't have told me that in the first reply. And second if you don't have the schematics how is my dealer going to have it. Wow and it is the first model. You have got to love great customer service.......NOT
2013 Ford F350
Old 08-27-2018, 03:29 PM   #19

Nevada
Bought Atlas in March-loved it after taking 2 years to look. Have used it 2x totaling 13 days. Excited to have this beautiful trailer-UNTIL...one continuous issue after another. POOREST QUALITY PRODUCT we have purchased. Blinds on most every window not going up, flooring (carpet/linoleum) buckling, shelves in pantry collapsed (barely anything on them), video cable busted off, bathroom door pocket gouged door, microwave not working, most molding splitting, dining room slide floor soft when stepped on, outside wheel well peeling off, door not latching now with metal splintered to the wood, to....yes, this is just a part of the list. NOW FOR THE STRESSFUL ADVENTURE OF TRYING TO GET IT ALL FIXED. Take it for repairs to Camping World & what a joke. Wait days for approval to possibly get repairs all the while the warranty time is ticking away. Thank goodness for good friends who kept the situation fun keeping this last trip from being ruined. Would NEVER buy or recommend a Dutchmen Atlas or any other product again-POS!!!!! May just need to seek legal action.
2013 Ford F350
Old 08-28-2018, 02:52 AM   #20

Minnesota
Quote:
Hi RSNK61
Welcome aboard and congrats on your new rig...

I just got mine with the command system and not sure what it pulls from the battery/ies. I am upgrading the battery system to dual Grp-31's for now.

The manual for the Control System says the maximum current draw is: Display = 1.5 Amps and Control module = 4 Amps; I also believe you can power off when not needing it, BUT, like you, I'm new to this thing...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote