New Owner of a Dutchmen Pop-up Camper - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2015, 03:52 PM   #1

Idaho
New Owner of a Dutchmen Pop-up Camper

We just purchased a 1995 Dutchmen pop-up camper. We think it is an 801 according to floor plans that we've looked at. It doesn't say on the title.

This is our first purchase and experience with owning our own RV. We're looking forward to our first camping experience. Today we're going to go to an RV store and look around.

The only issue that we've identified is that there is a crack in the vent cover which allowed leakage on one side of the camper. The previous owner got a good start at cleaning it up. So we need to buy a new cover or repair the existing one and the canvas could use some more cleaning. The ice box is not ideal, my husband is looking for a propane refrig to put in there instead.

I'd love to hear feed back on cleaning the canvas, propane refrigerators, and repairing vent covers as well as any other ideas or experiences with storage, etc.

tconway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:42 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Hi! Welcome!... Got pictures?

Vent covers are relatively inexpensive and not too hard to replace. Most of the so called canvas, ain't. It is usually some sort of vinyl on top with the sides being something else. On my Coleman and Viking I used a mild bleach and detergent solution for cleaning the vinyl, sides of the tent I used the mild detergent without the bleach. Bodywork on the camper was the detergent, ditto the top.

BearCreek Canvas is a great place to purchase replacement canvas if you decide the old stuff isn't worth the hassle.

Installing an LP fridge from scratch is not for the faint of heart. You will need to cut holes in the sidewalls to provide for access and ventilation. As well as run LP lines. I have some friends who have an old Viking with the ice box, they use it for storing bread and chips in and drag a dorm sized fridge with them instead. Lot cheaper.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:32 PM   #3

Idaho
We just got back from camping world in Meridian, Idaho. We had fun looking, but the gals at the register ruined the experience. They were all about selling add-ons. I specifically told her that we don't like to be sold to and then she preceded with what I referred to as arguing. We'll find another store, I"m sure and there most be other online places that I can order fun stuff from.

Thanks for the welcome. I see where you can insert images with a link, but I don't have pictures stored that way. I'm trying the add video browse button to insert a pic.
tconway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:39 PM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
Camping World is a pain in the rear. They are worse than Walmart in a lot of ways. I order most of my stuff on line. Amazon is a good place to start. Also if you are looking for something specific, ask on here, chances are good someone has already bought one and knows which is the best.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote