New member Mick34Ford - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2014, 03:59 AM   #1

Idaho
Question New member Mick34Ford

Our new 2014 Dutchmen Voltage 3800 EPIC 3 just arrived at the dealer and we expect delivery next week after a few things are done to it. I can not find any info on it about surge protectors and would like to know if it has any power protection at all or if I should buy an inline model to plug into the power poles at RV parks. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks. Mick

Mick34Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:02 PM   #2

Texas
Congrats on your new Voltage.

I don't believe they come from the factory with a surge protector. My understanding is that the breakers act as the only protection unless something is added by the owner.

soonernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #3

Oklahoma
Hot dog!!! Another 3800 owner, I was beginning to feel left out.

The surge protector will have to be furnished by you. They are available from various vendors at various prices.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:06 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum !!

Colin & Karen
Calgary Alberta
2012 3500 Longhorn Ram Crew Cab
2012 Dutchmen Sport 265 BHS
FlyingDutchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:57 AM   #5

Nevada
Welcome

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:54 AM   #6

Oklahoma
Two things that I would like to comment on.

First, I don't know what kind of camping you do, but there are 2 types of surge protectors available to you. One plugs into the power pedestal, and the other is hardwired to your RV. The plug in has the advantage of being easy to install, but is also easily removed if you are camping in a questionable area, where someone might want your protector more than you do. The hardwired unit has the advantage of having a remote display that can tell you how much power you are using at any time, and also will tell you what kind of power is actually coming into your RV. The downside is, it is not so easily installed or removed. (but you will never forget to plug it in) I am getting ready to install this:
Progressive Industries EMSHW50C Surge Protector : Amazon.com : Automotive

The next comment regards your PDI when you pick up your new trailer. I would encourage you to print out one of the many checklists that are available online. I used this one: RV Inspection Checklist

Go through it step by step, and take a good look at everything. It will also remind you to have the salesman/tech show you how every system in your new RV works. I spent 3 1/2 hours on mine, and then handed the checklist with all my notes on it to the service manager who was doing the walk through with me. He told me that it would take a few days to get everything done. They wanted my money, so everything was done by late that afternoon. I went back and checked everything on my list, and after borrowing a TV from another RV, they had mine all ready. I have had a few minor issues since then, but have only been back to the dealer once in a year for a water leak that we could not have found on the PDI (it wasn't raining that day)

Just my 2 cents.

macman83 is offline   Reply With Quote