New Kodiak owner - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2020, 02:30 AM   #1

Texas
New Kodiak owner

Hello,
I bought a 2019 261RBSL. Good shape but...
The weirdest thing, a couple rear upper led lights are out. Cover easily comes off but the bulb seems built into socket. I can't believe I have to remove the fixture to change a bulb. Is there a secret to this? Thx, Dale

Texas dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 06:31 PM   #2

Wisconsin
Led light "bulbs" rarely fail. They should last many years. There is no need for them to have a socket.
Chances are the lights are out for some other reason like a blown fuse or loose ground connection somewhere.

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 12:18 AM   #3

Texas
Thanks for your response. Five lights on the top and 2 are out. One on the end and one in the group of 3. At $6.00 a pop, I'll start there. I tried to add the Furrion backup camera pre-wired in the same area and it came back with no signal so I am hoping that any issues are in the lights or wiring around the lights that are out. BTW, on my house, I replaced numerous outside LED lights annually so I am not as confident but appreciate your help.
Old 03-03-2020, 01:04 AM   #4

California
@Texas Dale, I have a hunch it is the wiring too. Yes LED’s do fail but I bet the total hours on your trailer LED’s are minuscule compared to the ones you replace on your house.

Also, keep in mind all the trailer wiring and every connection, splice, housing, etc. spends a bunch of time vibrating and bouncing down the road.

My two cents is you should take a good look at the wiring back there and also check with a multi meter if possible to make sure you have power to all of them. You could also swap a good and bad light and see if the good one stops working or not and if the bad one starts working. No fancy testing equipment needed for that.

Good luck!
Old 03-03-2020, 01:41 PM   #5

Wisconsin
Test the circuit

I don't even replace old incandescent lights on my house that often. I have never replaced an LED light in my two TT'. The first TT I kept for 10 years. The latest I have had for more than 2 years.
It is easy to test the fixtures that don't work. Unscrew the fixture from the ceiling and pull the wires out a little. Measure the voltage in the wires. No voltage tells you it is not a failed light fixture.
Testing buy replacing components until you get it to work can be expensive, time consuming, and frustrating. Measure twice. Cut once. This works electrical circuits as well as carpentry.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 02:31 PM   #6

Texas
Thanks for responses. It's been a while since we had something, decades, so I had to start my brain up. It was a light fixture. Worked right away after putting in a $6.00 light. Serial wiring was still wonkie but I took it apart and tightened up the connections.

Tags
light bulb