New Kodak Hybrid owners - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2016, 08:37 PM   #1

North Carolina
New Kodak Hybrid owners

DW and I just returned from our maiden voyage (Carolina Beach State Park, near Wilmington NC) in our new Kodiak 172E. After a dozen years in tents, we upgraded to Hybrid... and love it.

We made just about every rookie mistake possible but had a great time. We can't wait for the Spring.

-R

ricks99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:19 PM   #2

Florida
Welcome to the forum... We have just returned from western NC. Foliage was very pretty this year.

Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:54 PM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
Welcome! Carolina Beach State Park used to be one of our favorites back in the tent and popup days. Haven't been in a while. They added 9 new full hookup sites, can't manage to get one.

Anything off the ground is an improvement!

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 12:36 AM   #4

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricks99 View Post
DW and I just returned from our maiden voyage (Carolina Beach State Park, near Wilmington NC) in our new Kodiak 172E. After a dozen years in tents, we upgraded to Hybrid... and love it.

We made just about every rookie mistake possible but had a great time. We can't wait for the Spring.

-R
That's my DH posting there, isn't he the best?? Tell me, what do the other Hybrid aficionados do about folding up the tent beds? Mattresses in place in the beds, or mattresses somewhere else?
RhymesWithPaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:55 PM   #5

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesWithPaper View Post
That's my DH posting there, isn't he the best?? Tell me, what do the other Hybrid aficionados do about folding up the tent beds? Mattresses in place in the beds, or mattresses somewhere else?
Owned a Hybrid for about 6 years, always left the mattress in place, if you up graded your mattress you might have to move it but the one that came with the unit is meant to be left.

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4 CTD
2011 Dutchmen Denali 262 RLX
drogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:34 PM   #6

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogers View Post
Owned a Hybrid for about 6 years, always left the mattress in place, if you up graded your mattress you might have to move it but the one that came with the unit is meant to be left.
They're meant to be left??! Interesting! None of the people at the dealership were 100% sure about it. It seems pretty hard to fold up if the mattress is still in place! Does folding it up without moving the mattress leave weird bumpy creases? (And thank you, btw, for your insight! We are newbies and making LOTS of mistakes.)
Old 11-29-2016, 09:11 PM   #7

Ontario
no if memory is good I remember folding the mattress over it self, I think it had a fold point, after that just tucked the tent canvass around the mattress and folded the end (in my case) up into the RV. nothing more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Outside.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	3759  

Old 11-29-2016, 10:11 PM   #8

Arizona
I bought a used 232es last year. Tents were folded in and mattresses were folded and tucked in place. Don't think the tents can be closed without removing the mattresses? The front bunk has bungees to hold the mattress, the rear just gets stuffed into the small space between the bunk and the bathroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pwise1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:11 PM   #9

North Carolina
that's what we did...bungee and slide/stuff, either end, respectively. As long as we aren't wrecking the mattresses I'm ok with it...but we want to make sure we're doing everything as "correctly" as possible!
Old 11-30-2016, 08:25 PM   #10

Ontario
As I said my mattress folded not at the half way mark but I'd say at about the third mark, it folded over once and had snaps to secure the folded piece than you tucked the tent inside over the mattress and closed the end.

Nothing to it.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:13 PM   #11

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesWithPaper View Post
Our hybrid wasn't a Dutchman, but both mattresses folded in half and got stored standing on edge on the sofa. There was a long bungee that held them in place.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:46 PM   #12

Ontario
In our 181e, the original beds have a fold at the 1/3 and 2/3 point. Before you close the bed end, you fold the mattress and when you close the end the bow that holds up the tent end folds down over the mattress and holds it in place.
We have since replaced our mattress with a 4" Ikea foam mattress, it is so much more comfortable, but it is so thick and rigid, we have to stuff it on the floor between the dinette and sofa, it looks like a big mattress taco and takes up a lot of space when driving, but the comfort makes it more than worth it.
rwbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:43 AM   #13

North Carolina
I think mattress upgrades are in our future too.

We noticed that there was some condensation between the floor of the tent beds and the underside of the mattresses in the morning. We laid them out in the sun when we got home before we packed them up; they dried in no time. But I'm wondering if there's anything we can do to prevent that (besides refrain from using the heater!)

-m