New 3800 Owner - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2016, 01:25 AM   #1

Washington
New 3800 Owner

Greetings from the Great Pacific Northwest. We just took delivery of our new 3800 we ordered from our local dealer. Long time rv owners. First time toy hauler. I work in the mountains search and rescue and we're avid snowmobilers as well so we decided to we needed a comfortable home with a garage for the toys. Did a lot of research and setteled on Dutchman voltage. Im hoping we made the right choice.

WMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:01 AM   #2

Nevada
Welcome and enjoy, Voltage Rvs are just as good as others, I had truck campers, trailers, 5 wheel and 2 toy haulers, I'm had mostly good ones and we love our Voltage

2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:00 AM   #3

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMac View Post
Greetings from the Great Pacific Northwest. We just took delivery of our new 3800 we ordered from our local dealer. Long time rv owners. First time toy hauler. I work in the mountains search and rescue and we're avid snowmobilers as well so we decided to we needed a comfortable home with a garage for the toys. Did a lot of research and setteled on Dutchman voltage. Im hoping we made the right choice.
If you'r from the Great Pacific Northwest, that must mean I'm from the Great Pacific Northwest, Great Pacific Northwest, Great Pacific Northwest.

Welcom to the forum, from your northern cousin.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:57 PM   #4

Michigan
WMac - Would you happen to have some detailed pics of the AGS wiring at the generator? My search for a diagram to wire mine up is turning up nothing useful.

Don
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:38 PM   #5

Illinois
Welcome WMac!!! Not to scare you, but we've had over 70 line items that our dealer had to fix!!! Just about ALL of them were NOT material issues they were workmanship issues!!! We had everything from over spray on the 1/2 painted cap and the led lights peeling up, to the back bottom black piece where the taillights are mounted being scratched all the way across and the thru-bolts for the ramp latches cross-threaded and sticking up on the ramp to literally everything in between!!! All-in-all, General Rv fixed it and we are HAPPY CAMPERS with our 3800!!!
Old 02-07-2016, 01:46 PM   #6

Illinois
I have to be honest though... once I found several things wrong during our PDI, I went through the unit with a fine tooth comb!!! THAT much money and the factory sent our unit out like THAT!!! I also fault General RV for the same reasons... a thorough PDI on their part would've caught ALOT of the cosmetic stuff. The only major thing besides the 3 recalls already was the furnace didn't work... Called General RV from hunting camp and walked me through it... The factory or the dealer NEVER FLIPPED THE SWITCH ON THE FURNACE!!! Thats the kind of stuff we dealt with...
Old 02-07-2016, 02:11 PM   #7

Illinois
Sorry for the length, but I like to help others as much as I can.

UPGRADES

1. Air gauge on the Trail Air kingpin
2. LED strip lights in the generator, both LP, and passthrough bins with a lit waterproof switch just next to the battery box vent
3. Small C-TEK battery charger mounted in the generator compartment that also trickles the battery
4. Levelers on the LCI remote
5. Tee off the propane lines with quick connects for Weber Q grill
6. Blue strip LED's for step lights instead of the amber ones
7. Replaced all the non-LED light with LED lights inside coach
8. Hung both ladders in the garage using wheelbarrow hangers
9. Hung ALL the garage table legs behind the entry door to the garage with magnetic tool strips from Harbor Freight
10. LED strip lights to back-light the inside control panel
11. Hooked-up the rear "WORK" lights to the 7-Pin trailer/truck wiring for back-up lights that can also be used as normal
12. Turned under the fridge louvered area into a storage area
13. Key hanger by front door on cabinets
14. 3 hooks mounted on the USELESS 2" deep cabinet in bathroom to hang clothes/towels
15. Slide out 2-tier drawer under sink
16. Added another set of LED brake lights
17. Little screw in hooks on the wall at each pin hole for the rear bunks so we don't loose any more!!!

I think thats it... Just about ALL of these ideas came from this forum!!! I'm not one document the process of the mods, but when I get a chance I will take pics of all the mods and post them.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:45 PM   #8

Florida
Welcome to the forum
Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:20 PM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushin4u View Post
I have to be honest though... once I found several things wrong during our PDI, I went through the unit with a fine tooth comb!!! THAT much money and the factory sent our unit out like THAT!!! I also fault General RV for the same reasons... a thorough PDI on their part would've caught ALOT of the cosmetic stuff. The only major thing besides the 3 recalls already was the furnace didn't work... Called General RV from hunting camp and walked me through it... The factory or the dealer NEVER FLIPPED THE SWITCH ON THE FURNACE!!! Thats the kind of stuff we dealt with...
This is an example of build it, ship it and maybe we won't have to pay to fix it. Then a dealer that shirks their responsibility to properly prepare the unit for sale.

Reminds me of the way Detroit was building cars way back when they didn't have any competion from the foriegn makers.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:30 PM   #10

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
WMac - Would you happen to have some detailed pics of the AGS wiring at the generator? My search for a diagram to wire mine up is turning up nothing useful.

Don
Don, sure ill go take some and get back to you in an hour or so.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:07 PM   #11

Washington
Don,

Here are pictures of our install.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:12 PM   #12

Washington
Don, here is how ours is installed. Its all Magnum components.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:13 PM   #13

Washington
Old 02-07-2016, 09:14 PM   #14

Washington
Old 02-08-2016, 07:42 AM   #15

Michigan
Nice looking setup and thank you. I have all Magnum components as well. I am looking more for the wiring connections at the generator itself. I have everything wired up except for the AGS to the generator. There is a large connector on the side of the generator but the wire colors change from the generator side to the RV side of the connector.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:37 PM   #16

Arizona
Would like to see pics of all the modifications. Very interested about work lights for reverse..
Jaymobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:16 PM   #17

Illinois
Jaymobster, all I did was go into the junction box on the backside of the kingpin box and find the yellow wire... it should be capped but nothing attached to it. Next removed the 2 stainless steel screws that are behind the kingpin holding the white fiberglass up, and removed the door hanger screws so i could fish something between the fiberglass and the frame to get into the generator compartment. I used a simple fiberglass driveway marker (it was handy... don't judge) the only hard part was poking through the foil-like barrier, you can see it from the generator compartment that you have to poke through to fish a wire that is connected to that yellow wire into the generator compartment, then drill into the passthrough compartment, take one of the wall panels out...I took the one off with the dirt devil on it, and look for the hot mess of wires going straight up... that is where the control panel is and fish that wire up and out the control panel... This is where i spliced that wire into the LIGHT WIRE on the backside of work light switch... There are 3 wires on the back of the switch... GROUND (white), 12V POWER (yellow w/white stripe) and LIGHTS (orange w/white stripe) and thats it!!! Now the switch can turn the lights on when loading or working back there, and when I put the truck into reverse they also come on!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5808.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	2873   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5809.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	2874  
Old 02-08-2016, 08:37 PM   #18

Arizona
Does your propane line to your grill work for small portable ones? Thanks for the help.. I wish mine had all of your mods.. Are voltage is a 3605. They have it in for service.. The floor is raised in the bedroom and a bunch of stupid little things
Jaymobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:22 PM   #19

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
Nice looking setup and thank you. I have all Magnum components as well. I am looking more for the wiring connections at the generator itself. I have everything wired up except for the AGS to the generator. There is a large connector on the side of the generator but the wire colors change from the generator side to the RV side of the connector.
Don. All I can see is the added loom coming into the gen housing. Cant see the actual attachments, however its only three wires. Im thinking one for ground, two for the starters positive and the last I would think is a ground for the ingition kill.