New 2016 Voltage 3005 Owner - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2015, 06:34 PM   #1

Arizona
New 2016 Voltage 3005 Owner

Picking up unit tomorrow from La Mesa RV, Tucson and traveling directly to Show Low AZ.
Will not be using for several weeks

Quick questions:

- should I turn off battery while storing?

- I will not have a chance to actually use Voltage 3005 for a few weeks......any thoughts on prepping black water tank ahead of time?

- when I finally do use for first time, what mode should refrigerator be in while traveling?

Thanks for any help...

Walter M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:50 PM   #2

Louisiana
Congrats on your new purchase, and welcome to the forum.

- Others may do differently, but I leave my camper plugged in, so the battery switch stays "ON" during storage. I can see benefits both ways, so it probably doesn't matter.

- If your black tank has never been used, then no prep is necessary. When you camp in it for the first time, I would let the water run in the toilet for a minute or two, just so that there is liquid in there to aid in the breakup of solid waste. Add a cap full of your favorite deodorizer at that time as well.

- When not using the fridge, I turn it off and leave the doors open to prevent odors and mildew. When using the fridge, it always stays on "Auto". This way, it will use electricity when available, and propane when no power is connected. (Keep in mind you need 12 volt power in order to run your fridge on propane.)

Old 06-18-2015, 08:50 PM   #3

California
+1 what Sinecure posted.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:57 PM   #4

Nevada
I use my 3005 often so I leave it plugged in an refrigerator on.

I leave my refrigerator on auto

I would suggest before your trip to try everything you can just in case.

I had a loose water fitting and that was about it

Good luck and enjoy!!
Soccerloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:09 AM   #5

Arizona
Personally, I wouldn't be taking the trailer too far from Tucson as you'll be bringing it right back for warranty work.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:36 AM   #6

Nevada
Wow

What a downer thing to say

This person just bought this unit

I have talked with lots of voltage owners and what you insinuate is not the typical situation

I have had great experience with v3005 with over 15,000 miles logged

Cheers
Old 06-19-2015, 05:46 AM   #7

Nevada
Before taking it home, take a couple hours and test everything, just because you had a walk thru, it better that you try it yourself, and if you find anything before you leave, you can have them repair it right then…leave some water in the toilets, so the seals don't dry out, If you can leave it plugged in. Have them put in a little bit of water, so you can test the water pump and hoses for leaks….enjoy and welcome...
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:45 PM   #8

if you cannot leave it plugged in and do turn off the battery you will still find a dead battery in a couple days. The cut off does not cut off everything.. As crazy at it seems the co2 and propane detectors and only god and voltage knows what else stays on. I had a disconnect placed right next to my battery. When I turn it off, everything is off.
The rest follow what they say above.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:59 AM   #9

Michigan
On my last rig the co2 detector stayed on. On this one the battery disconnect is in between thebattery and the busbar which cuts power to everything. I also assumed the co2 detector was required my regs to be powered at all times. Thankfully mine isn't. No matter now thoughas I am plugged in all winter and when not in my barn, my solar setup takes care of everything
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:40 AM   #10

South Carolina
I believe that the battery answers you seek will be found here: Car and Deep Cycle Battery FAQ, Battery Manufacturers and Brand Names List, and in Chapter 11.
Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:06 PM   #11

Georgia
A big battery user is the generator when not on, when I but it back in storage or not hooked up I unhook neg terminal for the generator, seems to help
Middlesb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:23 PM   #12

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlesb4 View Post
A big battery user is the generator when not on, when I but it back in storage or not hooked up I unhook neg terminal for the generator, seems to help
Middlesb4 - can you explain further? I don't think our on board Onan generator draws anything when not on......

Nana Kathy
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 01:01 PM   #13

Wyoming
I guess the guys at Dutchmen must've gotten gotten mine 'right'.

I've not done anything at all to upgrade my battery bay... I still have/use the original battery that came with the unit... and when I turn the battery disconnect switch located in the basement "OFF", everything is off. I come back 6 weeks later, turn the switch "ON"... and I've got power.

About the only thing that gives trouble after letting the unit sit for long periods w/o power is the pump in the Level-Up hydraulic jack system. It'll begin working, then stop, with a message on the control panel stating LOW POWER. So I have to plug in to the truck for a few minutes and allow the battery to charge a bit before being able to completely raise the jacks.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:16 PM   #14

Arizona
you were correct.....checkek doors about 100 miles into trip....front door woul not unlock.......barely got rear door open... 1 1/3 hrs of runaround by dealer and recorded message on warranty authorization numbet...
Walter M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:14 AM   #15

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana & Poppy View Post
Middlesb4 - can you explain further? I don't think our on board Onan generator draws anything when not on......

Nana Kathy
I have been trying to find the source of battery draining when unit is in storage with out having to completely unplug the battery or really to just figure out how things are wired, but I have found with the battery disconect in the red or off position I can leave it that way for a month or two and come back and have power, but with just the battery in the red or off and the generator still attached to the battery then my battery is worthless. This is non scientific as I can't find a draw from the generator when off but. I am still on the Orem battery and have not upgraded yet, real pain sometimes on the week sauce electrical and single battery on this unit
Middlesb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:30 PM   #16

New York
Well something is not right (typical Dutchmen workmanship) if our battery disconnect is off (in the red) we do not have power to the generator, nor to put the slide out (which we have learned is a no-no and no longer do that) we have to have the battery disconnect on to start the generator and/or use the slide.....
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:30 PM   #17

Colorado
Sorry to say this and mine's a POS. Workmanship seems to be shoddy at best but you don't notice that stuff when looking usually. Too bad as it was not cheap but cheaply made.
tbird12lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:00 PM   #18

California
Welcome and congrats!

We absolutely love our 3818 and haven't had anything to complain about. We made our punchlist after owning it for 4 months and the dealer is taking care of the items. Can say without a doubt it is the best looking and most talked about coach when we are out in the desert or beach.

Don't pay attention to the trolls. They live in a perfect world clearly...
RobertoFilice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:31 PM   #19

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoFilice View Post
Welcome and congrats!

We absolutely love our 3818 and haven't had anything to complain about. We made our punchlist after owning it for 4 months and the dealer is taking care of the items. Can say without a doubt it is the best looking and most talked about coach when we are out in the desert or beach.

Don't pay attention to the trolls. They live in a perfect world clearly...
This forum is clearly the exception to the rule having good, honest, and helpful folks, no trolls that I’ve seen so far. That’s why I love this site. Many of us have had horrible experiences with poor craftsmanship and poor quality control. Many have also had horrible experiences with the manufacturer and the dealers trying to get these issues corrected. Stating the reality of these things, and expressing the possibility of them happening to others is not trolling, it’s giving a real world heads up to new owners. Check everything, don’t assume things are OK, and never believe a promise from a dealer unless it’s in writing. We share these experiences to inform, and to get input from others who may have had similar experiences, and to vent a bit too. Many new owners have had little to no issues, then there many of us who have had a multitude of major problems, seems like a coin toss.

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:44 PM   #20

Nevada
Welcome!!! Have the same model as you except it is a 2014. Have used the day lights out of it. Like ALL Rv's they have issues. Truly if you have to take your unit in for every little issue it won't be fun. As mentioned above this is a great forum with many smart and resourceful people. Again other than full timers I don't know really anyone uses their more than my wife and me. We love our unit. We use it for work and when we aren't working we use it for fun. We do lots of boondocking and stay at parks. Even though the unit appears long and big we have gotten into amazingly tight spots. If you enjoy yours half as much as we do you are in great shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tap
2014 V3005 Voltage Toy Hauler
2012 Dodge Ram 2500. Firestone Bags. 1 ton+ leaf spring pack basically stock