New 2015 Aerolite 250KBHS - Basic tools - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2015, 11:48 PM   #1

Michigan
New 2015 Aerolite 250KBHS - Basic tools

First trip coming up on Friday with the new camper, and first overall trip with my own camper. Looking for suggestions on a basic set of tools to take along for those emergency situations, not that I want them, but reality is reality. Thanks in advance.

chiefboggum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:16 AM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefboggum View Post
First trip coming up on Friday with the new camper, and first overall trip with my own camper. Looking for suggestions on a basic set of tools to take along for those emergency situations, not that I want them, but reality is reality. Thanks in advance.
Hammer, Duct Tape and WD-40?

Hammer to beat it into submission
Duct Tape to hold stuff that ain't supposed to be moving
WD-40 for the stuff that is supposed to move but doesn't (hammer is for back up)

Just kidding! I take just basic hand tools and a multi meter. If I can't fix it with what I have on hand, I turn it off and do with out for the rest of the weekend.

Vise Grips, pump pliers, wire cutters, screw driver set ( I use a Klein 11-1), multi-meter. That will cover 95% of what I need to fix.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:26 AM   #3

Florida
Aaron pretty much nailed �� the list but I never even hook up until I have three other items on board. First one is my 20 ton pneumatic jack with air hose (have onboard air compresser on my truck), my 18 volt impact wrench for lug nuts, and a screw gun with bits to replace all the screws that break off every time I move my beast.

Welcome to the forum, looking forward to hearing how your first great adventure goes.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:34 PM   #4

Michigan
Thanks for the follow-up we will be sure to post how the weekend went as well as some picture of what we have done inside of the camper. Have a safe and Happy Memorial Day Weekend!
Old 05-21-2015, 06:54 PM   #5

Tennessee
That's the first camper i've seen with the same outdoor kitchen as ours. Keep an eye on the door struts as they had installed ones with way too much pressure and one ripped out of the wall. Also when opening and closing be mindful to use both hands spaced evenly apart for support.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:30 PM   #6

Michigan
I am assuming that you have the same entry door as we do. What do you do when you want the door open 180 degrees instead of 90 degrees that it only opens with the door strut installed? We took the strut off, and allowed the door to open 180 degrees, this then allowed so much more sunlight as well as ventilation inside the camper. The negative side is that the door kept slamming when it was windy, so we had to put a clothes rack in front of it to keep it from slamming. Stopped by the dealer yesterday to see if they had any recommendations and theirs was to install a door hinge that will lock the door when opened 180 degrees. I am not happy with that solution, as I do not want to drill into my new camper. I also sent a message to Dutchmen, but no reply back from them yet. Let me know if this is the same scenario for you guys. Thanks, what model is your Aerolite? do you like it, we love our so far!
Old 05-29-2015, 03:55 PM   #7

South Carolina
Chief, our little Coleman didn't have a strut, it used a little door holder like this: 6 Inch Plastic T Entry Door Holder - White - RV Designer E235 - Entry Door Hardware - Camping World
The "flap" part hangs down on the wall, the receptacle mounts on the door. I know you don't want to drill, but perhaps you could do it with some kind of "sticky."
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:11 PM   #8

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefboggum View Post
I am assuming that you have the same entry door as we do. What do you do when you want the door open 180 degrees instead of 90 degrees that it only opens with the door strut installed? We took the strut off, and allowed the door to open 180 degrees, this then allowed so much more sunlight as well as ventilation inside the camper. The negative side is that the door kept slamming when it was windy, so we had to put a clothes rack in front of it to keep it from slamming. Stopped by the dealer yesterday to see if they had any recommendations and theirs was to install a door hinge that will lock the door when opened 180 degrees. I am not happy with that solution, as I do not want to drill into my new camper. I also sent a message to Dutchmen, but no reply back from them yet. Let me know if this is the same scenario for you guys. Thanks, what model is your Aerolite? do you like it, we love our so far!
We have the 213RBSL. Our entry door doesn't have a strut so it swings fully open(must be something new for 2015), and it latches open if you want it to with the plastic t handle that MartyG posted the link to.
We have had a few problems with the camper, but we have a great dealer that fixed them all, and we really like it.