Looking forward to learning a lot! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2021, 09:41 PM   #1

Utah
Looking forward to learning a lot!

Picked up my first travel trailer on Friday. We bought a 2013 Dutchmen 265BHS. Haven't had a chance to take it out yet, but the family has had fun crawling all over it in the driveway. Have a lot to learn and already have some questions I will try and search out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	265BHS.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	7108  

BBD700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:59 PM   #2

California
First thing is to probably replace the tires. There is a date code on the side of tire. Lots of us have replaced the tires with Goodyear endurance tires. Take a look around this forum for lots of good information.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 10:25 PM   #3

Utah
Thanks. The tires are early 2019’s, but when the time comes to replace them I will probably go with the Endurance. I’ve used them on boat trailers with good results!
Old 09-14-2021, 11:22 AM   #4

Florida
I would probably pull the wheels-repack the bearings and check the brake operation and see if the pads are covered with grease. If you have grease fittings on the hubs, don’t trust them.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 02:05 PM   #5

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
I would probably pull the wheels-repack the bearings and check the brake operation and see if the pads are covered with grease. If you have grease fittings on the hubs, don’t trust them.
Will do...Thanks!
Old 09-15-2021, 04:30 AM   #6

Ontario
I would recommend doing your first weekend of camping either close to home or maybe even in the driveway. this way your close to home when you begin to discover all the things you forgot to pack.

Make sure to do a good test of all the propane lines and connections prior to use, as you have no idea the last time it was completed. Remember to fire up your fridge 24 hours before you leave to go camping this way it's already cold when you load it, and make sure if you are putting anything in the freezer to make sure it's already frozen, this greatly helps the freezer.

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4 CTD
2011 Dutchmen Denali 262 RLX
drogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 02:14 PM   #7

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogers View Post
I would recommend doing your first weekend of camping either close to home or maybe even in the driveway. this way your close to home when you begin to discover all the things you forgot to pack.

Make sure to do a good test of all the propane lines and connections prior to use, as you have no idea the last time it was completed. Remember to fire up your fridge 24 hours before you leave to go camping this way it's already cold when you load it, and make sure if you are putting anything in the freezer to make sure it's already frozen, this greatly helps the freezer.
Once the fridge is cold and loaded is it safe to travel with the gas on to keep it cold or do I wait until I arrive at my destination and then turn the gas for the fridge on?
Old 09-17-2021, 06:57 PM   #8

California
Sanitize your fresh water tank, and lines

The First things I did after buying my 2015 Kodiak was replace tires with Goodyear endurance load D, Inspect /repack Bearings, inspect Brakes, Run H20 heater, Refrigerator Gas/elec, lube Slider and Rubber seals, Inspect gas lines and connections, Check Tongue weight, Loaded up trailer and took it to local Gravel yard to weigh trailer, Sanitized the fresh H20 tank and lines, Flushed out BK and Gy tanks into my home sewer access clean out.
Hope this helps
trucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:22 PM   #9
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBD700 View Post
Once the fridge is cold and loaded is it safe to travel with the gas on to keep it cold or do I wait until I arrive at my destination and then turn the gas for the fridge on?
Personal preference.

I do and have for years. The only caveat; turn it off while re-fueling. Also some tunnels may require it to be off.

Aaron😎
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:54 PM   #10

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Personal preference.

I do and have for years. The only caveat; turn it off while re-fueling. Also some tunnels may require it to be off.

Aaron😎
Thanks Aaron, yeah 6- 8 hrs should be OK, I'll just put and ice pack with the food. Thank you.
How did this electrical/refrigerator reply get on this "looking foreword to learning a lot post? I am learning alot though.
trucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 12:05 AM   #11

Alabama
I never travel with gas on. In fact I never use the gas. Usually you never travel far enough to have any cold food spoil or frozen food to thaw completely. Ever see a camper or motorhome alongside the road that has burned to the ground? Usually a propane fire. Play it safe and don't use gas on the road.
Livin the Life
OldOneTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 03:33 AM   #12

Oregon
I’ve been tow trailer camping for 20 years and have never seen a burned out rig. My wife packs the refrigerator full. I’d rather run with the frig on than risk eating spoiled food. And the black tank is not endless either.

Randy is offline   Reply With Quote