Looking at the Voltage 3605 - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2015, 08:56 PM   #21

Arizona
We haven't picked the unit up yet. We are having them install a solar system and exchange the batteries out for 2 6 volt batteries along with adding slide toppers. Also, we had about 13 items still left over from the PDI they are still working on. The slide issue you referenced is one of the outstanding items. When I spoke with CW last week, they said this item was fixed. We did catch it in the PDI. However, I am not sure what they did to resolve it.

We should be able to finally pick up the unit by the end of next week( hopefully).

We really love the layout...just ready to get the unit and give a real test boondocking.

2015 Polaris Ranger 900 EPS
Aztex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:52 PM   #22

New York
Thank you. Based on your response, it sounds like you had the same "can't open the cabinet" issue we are having. If you learn what they did to fix it, it would be great to hear back from you. Good luck with your pickup and have fun!

Fandamly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:01 PM   #23

Colorado
Fandamly,
We got a sneak peak at our 3990 that just arrived at the dealership and noticed the same cabinet issue. We assumed it simply wasn't fully extended and we didn't have any power to the unit so we were unable to test. Didn't get concerned until I read your post. To confirm, you were able to verify the slide is sealing up so the weather doesn't get in? Does your side windows on the slide just barely clear the side of the trailer as well?
mddean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:48 PM   #24

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mddean View Post
Fandamly,
We got a sneak peak at our 3990 that just arrived at the dealership and noticed the same cabinet issue. We assumed it simply wasn't fully extended and we didn't have any power to the unit so we were unable to test. Didn't get concerned until I read your post. To confirm, you were able to verify the slide is sealing up so the weather doesn't get in? Does your side windows on the slide just barely clear the side of the trailer as well?
Hello mddean....I sent pictures and asked several questions about this issue to the person at the dealership who did the PDI with us. I was very impressed with him during the PDI...he really knew his stuff. He assured me that the brackets were installed correctly. And unfortunately, the doors not opening all the way were the way they were supposed to be. I subsequently noticed that one of your kitchen drawer fronts had been moved over to accomodate the thicker slide trim.

After looking things over very thoroughly and asking questions, our theory is that when they switched to cable slides, they needed to make room for the motor that is located at the top of the large slides. In order to do so, they were not able to allow the slides to go all the out, and made other adjustments accordingly. In the bedroom where the motor is located under the bed, the slide does infact go out all the way it was originally intended.

We were thinking that perhaps we could turn the inside slide cable bracket 180 degrees, thus causing it to pull all the way in. When I mentioned this to our PDI guy, he pleaded that we do not do that. He said we could create problems and reassured us again that it was put together correctly.

We are convinced it is sealing well and have decided to leave it as is. I removed one of the cabinet doors that could only open about 65 degrees and am using the two shelves for pictures and a clock. I can open the other cabinet door up above enough to put in things I don't use that often. I am glad they decided to keep the cabinets...they are still usable. We went to a local show last week and noticed another brand with cable slides. They were installed the same way. In that case, they replaced the cabinet door with a blank. We are thinking however, that we probably lost about 5 inches of interior floor space.

The only other significant issue we found during our PDI was that it appears that whoever was installing the screw underneath had the torque set too high. Many screw heads had broken off. We will preiodically check to make sure we do not loose any more.

Sorry for the long-winded response. Have fun with your 3990. We are loving our 3970 so far.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:33 PM   #25

Colorado
Fandamly,
Thank you so very much for your complete response here and the other posting. I like your idea to remove the doors and use them as shelfs. The 3970 was the other unit we gave serious consideration, but the second bath won out with the DW in the end. Thanks again!
mddean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:39 PM   #26

New York
mddean....We had actually ordered the 3990 because of the second bathroom. But, we quickly changed our minds because we really liked the 3970 floorplan. We've managed with one bath for more than 20 years with previous RVs. Everyone has their preferences. Enjoy!