Just saying hi - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2015, 05:52 PM   #1

New Jersey
Just saying hi

I just picked up my new used 2010 Thor freedom spirit. I don't know much about owning a travel trailer but I will do the best I can with this groups help. I do a lot of my own wrenching on my trucks and motorcycles. I'm sure there is a lot to learn and things I need and a lot of things I only think I need. Thanks in advance for any help I receive.
Marty

Jerseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:51 PM   #2

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydog View Post
I just picked up my new used 2010 Thor freedom spirit. I don't know much about owning a travel trailer but I will do the best I can with this groups help. I do a lot of my own wrenching on my trucks and motorcycles. I'm sure there is a lot to learn and things I need and a lot of things I only think I need. Thanks in advance for any help I receive.
Marty
Welcome.

Yes there is the stuff you need and a whole lot you think you need. The RV store has tons of stuff that is nice to have, but you really don't need it.

I rarely darken the door of the RV dealer, my local auto supply has a big selection of the most common RV parts and a nice big RV parts catalog to order out of. The prices are at least 20%?less than the RV dealer, plus they give me a good guy discount that knocks another 15-20% off of their price.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:43 PM   #3

Iowa
Welcome,
If you plan on doing your own winterizing, I"d recommend a blow out plug to screw in to your city water connection, open the faucet farthest away, then quick connect your airchuck, after setting at about 30psi and continue opening faucets and stool until no more water comes out. Amazon has a good selection of supplies as well.
dougs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:49 PM   #4

New Jersey
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydog View Post
Marty
Welcome to the forum Marty. I'm from 'Jersey too. Exit 13

You're wrenching skills will come in handy with your new used RV. Which model Freedom Spirit do you have? Have you taken it camping yet? Are you going to winterize it yourself?

Back to maintenance. One thing you'll find is that there's really no users manual that covers all maintenance/repair for your rig. Here's a generic one for all Dutchmen 2010 models :
http://www.dutchmen.com/media/5764/2...ers-manual.pdf

So what you have to do instead is find pdf manuals for each piece of equipment you have such as the refrigerator, stovetop, AC, commode, etc. A lot of these will be on the dutchmen website here :

Dutchmen RV Customer Service
Click "Manuals,parts and archived literature" link and then click "parts manuals".

You'll see everything from chassis-frame to monitor systems although you probably won't find a system electrical, plumbing, or framing diagram. I haven't personally requested these from Dutchmen but supposedly you can.

And of course, posting here will get you answers you need fast and friendly.

Ken
High-Energy JRT (Jack Russell Terrier)
kalm_in_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote