John from Central Minnesota - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2018, 01:48 PM   #1

Minnesota
John from Central Minnesota

Hi all,
This is my first post here and I'm a new Dutchman owner. The dealer is installing a handicap lift for my wife; then, finish the paper stage of the purchase; we have to take care of the $$$; then, we can take ownership of an almost new 2018 Coleman Lite 1805BR travel trailer; and finally, we take it on a maiden voyage.
Our TV is a 2013 Chevy Silverado 1500 with the Max Tow Package and it should pull this trailer just as easy as it did with the FFunFinder.
I'll update my signature pic (Currently our FunFinder Xtra XT190) when we take delivery of our "New" trailer.
Looking forward to great conversations here and hoping to pick up all I can from your Dutchman experiences...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:43 PM   #2

Florida
Hello John_C, congratulations on your new camper. Don't forget to use one of the pre-delivery checklists. again, congrats and Happy Camping...

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...list-4294.html

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:06 PM   #3

Texas
And remember we love pics especially of new rigs.
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:07 PM   #4

Wyoming
Welcome... and I'm interested in the lift they're installing.

I've got a brother with cerebral palsy, and a good friend who is confined to a chair due to having his legs amputated. I've always wanted them to be able to visit and/or travel with me occasionally, but knew the logistics of getting them in & out of the rig somewhat easily would make a trip frustrating for all involved.

If you have the time once you get the rig, I'd love to see photos and get details of the lift... and see exactly what other modifications are being done to accommodate her.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 02:08 AM   #5

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Hello John_C, congratulations on your new camper. Don't forget to use one of the pre-delivery checklists. again, congrats and Happy Camping...

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...list-4294.html
Hi Frank,
Thank you for the information and the welcome!

2018 Coleman Lite 1805RB
Old 07-22-2018, 02:11 AM   #6

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCLARK View Post
And remember we love pics especially of new rigs.
Hi Chris and Donna,
Thank you for the welcome and we'll be sure to include pics as they are taken (After delivery, of course)!

2018 Coleman Lite 1805RB
Old 07-22-2018, 02:33 AM   #7

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post

I've got a brother with cerebral palsy, and a good friend who is confined to a chair due to having his legs amputated. I've always wanted them to be able to visit and/or travel with me occasionally, but knew the logistics of getting them in & out of the rig somewhat easily would make a trip frustrating for all involved.

If you have the time once you get the rig, I'd love to see photos and get details of the lift... and see exactly what other modifications are being done to accommodate her.
Hi Tom,
Thank you for the welcome and I will visiting the lift manufacturer Monday to see exactly what they have in mind. The Coleman 1805RB presents some difficulty for them, as the 1805BR has a sealed wall and floor system for winter camping, that disallows drilling holes in the walls or floors;

I am told that they will connect to the frame above and behind the stairs and the platform, and when not in use, will fold parallel to the trailer wall... I will get you more info and pics as I find out what is what. However, being a retired engineer, weld inspector, and having written welding procedures, I become a bit jumpy when they talk about welding to the frame

Here is the link to the lift manufacturer (I believe) that Camping World contacted and sent them trailer details to assist the install:
Burr Mobile Wheelchair & Scooter Lift Burr Handy Lift

2018 Coleman Lite 1805RB
Old 07-22-2018, 02:44 AM   #8

Minnesota
Quote:

Hmmm, The 1st response went into a dark hole.
Hi Tom,
I'll be sure to keep you posted on what happens with the install. The Coleman 1805RB has sealed walls and floor for freeze protection and presents an attachment issue. I'll keep you informed; however, there are several manufactures of Mobility Lifts for Vans, RV's, Trailers, etc. They can be installed for wheelchairs, standing, sitting, slings, and even chairs. I guess like most everything else, it only costs money
Here is one manufacturer that we are looking at:
https://www.mobile-lifts.com/motorhome-and-rv-lifts/

2018 Coleman Lite 1805RB
Old 07-22-2018, 02:52 AM   #9

Minnesota
Quote:

Hi Tom,
Thank you for the welcome and I will keep you in the loop as to what we do and find out. There are several Lift manufacturers for different challenges, from wheelchairs, standing, sitting, chairs, and even the vehicle seats. I tried to post a link but, I think the link I put in the first two responses caused a hang-up;
just to get you started, try Googgling on:
Burr Mobility Lifts

2018 Coleman Lite 1805RB
Old 07-26-2018, 01:35 PM   #10

Minnesota
Quote:

Hi Tom,
Here's where we are at with this... today anyway. We picked up the trailer yesterday as it was manufactured. We went to "Cummings Mobility", not too far from us, a few days ago and talked with the folks. On our trailer, due to the sealed walls and undercarriage, they need to tie to both frame members with a plate across the bottom. The cost is really spendy at $3,800 - $5,000 Because the wife can still climb the stairs, with help, and if she is not too tired, we are going to hold off for now. We are going to take a couple trips and see how she does. Even though the trailer is only 22.75 feet, it has has a nice open floor plan with the single slide, and accommodates the smaller transfer wheelchair well enough... we'll see how it goes.
Burr Lifts can be outfitted with the standing plate, a hanging chair, wheelchair plate, or one of several other means suited to one;s needs.
Good luck and I hope you can find something that works for you and your brother.

2018 Coleman Lite 1805RB
Old 08-09-2018, 12:24 AM   #11

Minnesota
The New TT has arrived - 2018 - 1805RB

Our new (to us) rig is in the Driveway, my knee is healing, and the mods are underway:
1) Make and Install Sewer hose tubes...
2) Buy and Install Sewer hose fitting box...
3) Buy and Install Battery box (the current tongue rack is way too small for my pair of Grp-31's...
4) A 32" TV to replace the one kept by the previous owner...
5) Finding a place & way to neatly stock silverware...
6) Install and calibrating the "LevelMatePro" sensor box...
7) Install/pick up a standing Paper Towel Holder...
8) Install Toilet Paper roll holder...
9) Install BR vanity towel holder...
10) Pack with personal stuff...
11) Head to the North Country for a shake down trip...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	008A7041-1-3.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	4893  

2018 Coleman Lite 1805RB
Old 08-09-2018, 11:16 AM   #12

Florida
I LOVE my levelmate!
Old 08-10-2018, 10:24 PM   #13

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
Our new (to us) rig is in the Driveway, my knee is healing, and the mods are underway:
3) Buy and Install Battery box (the current tongue rack is way too small for my pair of Grp-31's...

Congratulations!
Safe Travels!
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:29 AM   #14

Minnesota
Quote:
I LOVE my levelmate!
It had some really great reviews, so I picked it up. It should save me backing up several times! Thank you for the reassurance!!

2018 Coleman Lite 1805RB
Old 08-12-2018, 02:32 AM   #15

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
Congratulations!
Safe Travels!
Thank you Army Veteran... Battery box is on order and the rest is in the works!!

2018 Coleman Lite 1805RB
Old 08-12-2018, 01:42 PM   #16

Maryland
Quote:
Welcome from MD I grew up in NC so where you headed there?
2018 Ford F150 Supercrew Lariat
GTULOWITZKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:58 PM   #17

Florida
Quote:
It had some really great reviews, so I picked it up. It should save me backing up several times! Thank you for the reassurance!!
Pretty short list by the way... Have you been on that shakedown yet?
Old 08-14-2018, 04:55 PM   #18

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTULOWITZKY View Post
Welcome from MD I grew up in NC so where you headed there?
Hi Gregg & Darla,
We are planning a couple shake down trips up to Northern Minnesota over the next few weeks and then we are heading to Washington State or to Georgia's coast area to visit kids. I am not sure which way first, I'm guessing north first before it gets too cold. The trailer is supposed to have winter insulation on all four outside frames walls, roof, and floor (and tanks & plumbing), but does it really work and how well?? I already know the sales folks fed me some bull regarding the frig... so, we'll see how much I swallowed!

The factory said the trailer is meant to carry just one battery!! Well, a box goes on next week and the little battery will be replaced with dual Grp-31's; that's enough for easily 4 days for lights hot water, and heater.

2018 Coleman Lite 1805RB
Old 08-14-2018, 05:02 PM   #19

Florida
Quote:
Hi Gregg & Darla,
We are planning a couple shake down trips up to Northern Minnesota over the next few weeks and then we are heading to Washington State or to Georgia's coast area to visit kids. I am not sure which way first, I'm guessing north first before it gets too cold. The trailer is supposed to have winter insulation on all four outside frames walls, roof, and floor (and tanks & plumbing), but does it really work and how well?? I already know the sales folks fed me some bull regarding the frig... so, we'll see how much I swallowed!

The factory said the trailer is meant to carry just one battery!! Well, a box goes on next week and the little battery will be replaced with dual Grp-31's; that's enough for easily 4 days for lights hot water, and heater.
LOTS of us can let you know how that insulation works and how you can "fight the cold" in an RV. be prepared, it will cost you but you will be able to survive below zero temps.

Most I survived (with running water) is ten below with 50 mph winds. Everything outside the RV froze (except water from trailer park). Nothing is more fun than attempting to thaw out a frozen dump tank drain line. next time, I'll know to disconnect it. The "thermal" insulation on the RV is good to 32 degrees or so.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:06 PM   #20

Minnesota
Quote:
Pretty short list by the way... Have you been on that shakedown yet?
Hi Frankafl,
Other than crappy storage in the kitchen area, the trailer seems to be set up okay for us... I laid on the the bed and the mattress is a bit hard even for me and may move to the list of replacement (the older couple used their own and put this one back on or the dealer did). My biggest concern is the fully insulated and sealed floor... AND of course, there are no drawings/layout of what is located where! Poor customer service I'd say, but unfortunately, pretty typical!!
The trailer had been a trade in by an elderly couple that wanted something larger. It looks brand new; we know it was little used, having less than 140 miles and only 2 trips on it. Everything seems to work okay, but a real shake down run or two will tell the story. We are planning a couple trips early next month (waiting on the wife's Dr. visit first). One of our Granddaughters is coming to visit and we thought that would give it a good test or two.

2018 Coleman Lite 1805RB