Hi there - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2019, 03:56 AM   #1

Oregon
Hi there

I just joined this group. I recently sold my tent trailer and bought a 22' Dutchmen. It's a 1994 but in very good shape. It was owned by one family. I am feeling kind of scared to venture out in it because I don't really understand how everything works, or even what everything is. My tent trailers had a lot of features, but we almost always dry camped. I plan to stay in the trailer locally a few more nights and days to try to figure everything out, and then start taking short trips of less than an hour or so. I don't think I will have any trouble. I took the trailer to an RV repair shop to fix a few things and to do a system and safety check. I think I just need to get some confidence. I keep hearing horror stories so that scares me. My tent trailer had one axle and this has two, and trailer brakes, and anti-sway bars and a weight distribution system. So that's all good, I think, and should make it easier than the tent trailer. Any thoughts?

Marshhl00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:58 AM   #2

Florida
Something that old would need newer tires. When ws the last time it was towed? look up the appliance model numbers on the web and you will be able to get the owner's manuals also, Dutchmen has a section (owner's section) where you can get some of the owner's manuals for the things inside.

https://www.dutchmen.com/rv-manuals-online

Welcome to the forum and don't be afraid to ask questions and post pictures.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:27 AM   #3

Oregon
Thanks for the tips! It has been towed by me and tested by the folks at the RV repair place. The previous owners used it last season. It has never been lived in. The RV place looked at the tires and saw no obvious problem but recommended that I take it to a tire place, so I will do that. I have some owners manuals for trailer and some components. The manuals are not very understandable to me. But the more I read the more I start to understand things. Thanks again. Helen
Marshhl00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:32 PM   #4

Montana
We're in the same boat but with a 29' motorhome. We've spent HOURS on YouTube and found some very helpful tips from many of the full-timers out there.
ksibbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:14 AM   #5

Wisconsin
Tires

Today I read what appears to be an authoritative article on tire aging. The short story: Tires that have not been abused are good for 5 years. Tires older than 10 years should be discarded even if they have never been used. In between 5 and 10 years, they need a trained and certified eye to inspect them. (Not just a tire seller.)
There is a "DOT" code embossed on the tire that translates into manufacture date so you can know the date.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:55 PM   #6

California
Do some research on servicing your toilet. Nothing worse than a stinky rig. I use the GEO method. Check the water levels in your battery. RV batteries are constantly charged when in use. Do you have a trailer brake controller in the tow vehicle? if not get one. If your trailer tires are more than 5 years old replace them. Inspect your roof for cracked sealant now and then once a year. If cracks are found, cover with lap sealant. Buy some spare fuses to keep in your rig. Buy some spare lightbulbs (interior, tail, etc...)

Will59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
worried!