Help. - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2016, 05:09 PM   #1

Florida
Exclamation Help.

<< Daily emotional range over the past three weeks or so.

So, I found "a great deal" on Craigslist for a Toy Hauler. I'm an Iraq Veteran and have some limitations on what I can do to earn money. I decided since I want to travel so bad, getting a toy hauler, setting it up to transport pets and other cargo and perhaps do some grooming at campgrounds would be the perfect set up.

I showed up to a scene of a teenaged boy doing what he said was finishing up applying a coating on the roof. The boyfriend of the woman who owned it told me that he wanted to go ahead and apply it since it was due for a new top coat. I could see that the interior needed remodeling and didn't care about that at all since I would be remodeling any unit I found anyway.

Long story short, they used pressure tactics to sell it to me and I bought it hook line and sinker. I handed over 6 grand in cash and drove away with the title in my hand. Prior to this, I had spend weeks doing the best research I could as to exactly what my 2015 F150 could pull and for the engine size, using the VIN, the dealership told me 8500lbs. The TT is 6500. The trailer was jerking, bumping the entire 1 hour trip to the storage facility near my home, despite the new brake switch that Uhaul just installed ever so ghetto-ly. Just a really bad day that got so much worse. I was almost to point B when the front seams on both sides split open and created air pockets which ripped off the passenger's side about 80 square feet.

I have been through sheer rage over this and I wake up thinking about this problem I just paid $6,000 cash for. I am mostly dealing with this alone. My husband helps half-heartedly and my son could spare a saturday here and there. I've gutted a lot of the interior and finally was able to get onto the roof yesterday after spending $300 on ladders. The owner's bf who did all the patch work, used some crazy material on the roof and even used regular household tar paper and 2x4's to fix the damage.

It's 27' and I'd say about 75% of the floor needs replacing, who knows how much roof plywood, new roof, new siding, just to get the thing waterproof and damage free. Nevermind the cost of remodeling.

I'm pretty handy and can do a lot of the work myself but some of it requires more than my two hands. Trips to the local landfill are a minimum of $30. I put the thing on craigslist and facebook asking $1700 but not one bite. I really love construction and remodeling but I wasn't ready for this. I have nowhere to park the thing under cover, I'm blowing a lot of money on tools and I may end up with a heap of junk after all my efforts and more money waste.

If there's anyone out there reading this who can help guide me to a solution, I'd appreciate it. The storage is costing $100/month. I have the time and energy and desire but not much money left and not the right environment for this level of repair. I have really good photos of it on craigslist. 2001 27' Dutchman Travel Trailer Toy Hauler
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV side damage.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	2846  

TammyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:42 PM   #2

Missouri
Wow... I can only say good luck... Sorry to hear story.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:44 PM   #3

British Columbia
I hate to see this kind of thing done to good people, by bad people. Karma will get them in the end.

Unfortunately I have nothing to suggest other than to lower the price, try to sell it off in pieces or see if you can get anything out of it from a recycler. The problem with selling it off in pieces is the amount of time it takes to do that.

Don't beat yourself up over it, we all have bought something that bit us in the behind.

Jim
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:02 AM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
The only recourse I see would be to take them to court to try and recoup your money. I don't know if that trailer can even be safely repaired.

Sorry to see that it happened.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:16 AM   #5

Illinois
Thinking it's a case of throwing good money after bad. Perhaps trying to speak to the seller appealing to decency? Otherwise, sell for what you can and take it for a lesson learned unfortunately. I too believe in karma, good things happen to good people and bad people get theirs in the end. Sorry you got jammed. Hoping it works out for you.
Rusty
PS. Thanks for your service.
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 05:38 PM   #6

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Thinking it's a case of throwing good money after bad. Perhaps trying to speak to the seller appealing to decency? Otherwise, sell for what you can and take it for a lesson learned unfortunately. I too believe in karma, good things happen to good people and bad people get theirs in the end. Sorry you got jammed. Hoping it works out for you.
Rusty
PS. Thanks for your service.
I agree with Rusty. Don't throw any more $ at this black hole. Take what you can get & move on.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:44 PM   #7

Nevada
I work on repairing RV's in my spare time, and First I want to say is contact a Lawyer to get your money back, It can be repaired, but what I see, your better getting your money back, this repair will be more then you see!!

2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, salvage, screwed