Hello All :) (And a question) - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2014, 09:06 AM   #1

Alberta
Hello All :) (And a question)

Hi all- I'm sure that I'm going to have a ton of questions here and I just want to thank you in advance. I am a first time RV owner but have been an avid camper for years. I just purchased a 2012 Aspen Trail 2810 bhs 2 days ago and its perfect for my family. We have been using a pretty simple tent trailer for the last several years and our new family member is obviously much more complex.

My first question is about the battery. I know that previously, when storing my tent trailer, I would disconnect the battery- is it that simple with the Aspen Trail?

Thanks so much- I'm happy to be a part of this community.

Zurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurich View Post
Hi all- I'm sure that I'm going to have a ton of questions here and I just want to thank you in advance. I am a first time RV owner but have been an avid camper for years. I just purchased a 2012 Aspen Trail 2810 bhs 2 days ago and its perfect for my family. We have been using a pretty simple tent trailer for the last several years and our new family member is obviously much more complex.

My first question is about the battery. I know that previously, when storing my tent trailer, I would disconnect the battery- is it that simple with the Aspen Trail?

Thanks so much- I'm happy to be a part of this community.
Hi and welcome!

Depends on where your battery is located. I put a disconnect on mine. On my Coleman it is on the front hitch area so not too hard to get to. I installed an RV plug at my parking pad at home, so I don't always disconnect unless the trailer is going to be parked for a longer period of time.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:39 PM   #3

Kentucky
On my previous TT I would disconnect the negative terminal from the battery. A pain, but never had to worry about the LP gas monitor slowly draining my battery between trips. My new Kodiak came with a battery disconnect switch...loving the option.
On-my-second-Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:36 PM   #4

California
Yes the carbon monoxide monitor will drain your battery. You need to install a cut off switch or disconnect the - cable when you park it. Just ask my brother. He parks his TT at my place & forgot to disconnect his battery. I needed to get my battery charger out so he could use his electric jack. When we turned on the charger first thing from inside his TT we heard was the CO monitor beep for a second.

Another thing you can do is buy a solar charger. They make some small ones that work well that you just clip onto the posts. If in your yard or a safe place kept that should also work.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:01 PM   #5

Alberta
Thumbs up

Thanks so much- I'll just pick up a battery disconnect switch before winter storage.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:16 PM   #6

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurich View Post
Thanks so much- I'll just pick up a battery disconnect switch before winter storage.
Be careful with a disconnect switch up in Calgary. If you're disconnected over a long period (winter in Calgary) and the battery goes dead it will freeze and damage the battery. For winterizing it's better to remove the battery and store out of the weather or make sure you keep it charged.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:09 AM   #7

Alberta
Good point
Old 08-12-2014, 05:59 AM   #8

South Carolina
I'm thinking the best option, as wahoonc said, is to install a 30 or 50 amp outlet where you park it. The power supply does a good job of keeping it trickle charged, while you can run lights and AC. You don't mention if storage is at your home or some distant location. If it is remotely located, you might consider bringing your battery home during extended (over one month) parkings, and trickle charge your battery on the bench at home.

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aspen trail