Greetings from Fl - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2016, 03:08 PM   #1

Florida
Greetings from Fl

Hi everyone!

We decided on a Denali light bunkhpuse 2611. We should be getting it on Friday. Not the first trailer we have had just trading up for more storage and comfort.

Hope to learn more about Dutchman and Denalis and looking forward to having fun in my new rig.

M

Denaligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 03:26 PM   #2

British Columbia
Welcome to the forum.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:51 PM   #3

Colorado
Greetings,

Everyone here seems to be knowledgeable, friendly, courteous, willing to help, and just plain ol good people. Welcome aboard.

Dale
DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:45 PM   #4

California
Glad you found us. Moving to a larger rig something quite a few of us have done over the years. I started with a Tent Trailer and kept moving to a larger rig each time. That was eight RV's ago.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:44 AM   #5

Florida
Thanks for the greetings! Now on to find a good PDI checklist.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:28 PM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denaligirl View Post
Thanks for the greetings! Now on to find a good PDI checklist.

That's the easy part..... Marty G provided an excellent one here.
The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:47 AM   #7

Florida
Ohhhh thanks! Printed it and got rhe brochure. I can hardly wait. I jad already made notes about what I saw whwn we went to viait it. They told me they would take care of those items in their dealer prep. I am hoping we get there a little early. The dealership is doing a lot of business as a result of the supershow. I hope we don't find too much wrong so we can take it with us.

Thanks again for the checklist. This is a nice forum!
M
Old 01-28-2016, 05:37 PM   #8

Nevada
Denaligirl, because of the show, they will say, they have to many to get ready and will ask if they can fix the items at a later date, Don't fall for it, if they want your sale, Fix before taking off the lot, or it may be up to a year to get your repairs done....
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:47 PM   #9

Florida
Thanks! I will certainly consider that. I do want it for the next weekend but if they can't do it, they can't do it. The few little things I saw were mostly cosmetic. While I visited the rig and my husband was talking to the business manager I opened and closed every drawer, and closet and looked inside each one to make sure I didn't see anything wrong. My biggest problem is knowing if there is something majorly wrong. I will definitely test all the power stuff (power awnings, slides and happijacs) and if they say no, well I guess I won't take it with me The worst thing is just have to take our older smaller one back with us and that is ok with me.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:26 PM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denaligirl View Post
Thanks! I will certainly consider that. I do want it for the next weekend but if they can't do it, they can't do it. The few little things I saw were mostly cosmetic. While I visited the rig and my husband was talking to the business manager I opened and closed every drawer, and closet and looked inside each one to make sure I didn't see anything wrong. My biggest problem is knowing if there is something majorly wrong. I will definitely test all the power stuff (power awnings, slides and happijacs) and if they say no, well I guess I won't take it with me The worst thing is just have to take our older smaller one back with us and that is ok with me.
Rich has nailed it. Out of site, out of mind. The RV sales will be ramping up and the last thing the dealers worry about is getting the product sold and off the lot.

It's better to be disappointed of one weekend rather than months.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:41 PM   #11

Florida
I kniw this is auperbdumb question. I took delivery of my last rv and nothing was wrong for almost seven months. Then that dealership took care of it. I did not find one thing wrong. We had one table delam and it took a while to get a new one but that was a minor thing. The major thing did not happen for months.

How many people have actually been able take delivery of their rigs on the day of pdi? I do understand there could be issues and i am willing to wait. Just an idea i should be prepared to walk away that day? Is buying a unit at a show a bad idea?
Old 01-28-2016, 07:26 PM   #12

California
I took mine the day of my PDI. Got free camping for the weekend & had no problems.
Only item that failed under warranty wast water pump after 7 months or so. I bought a better one & replaced it myself. Would have costed more in time & fuel to take it back to the dealer.
Plus I replaced it with a better one than what was in there.
Coming up on three years old not one major problem! That's with towing to S.D. the first year & Glacier N.P. this past summer.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:18 PM   #13

Ohio
We took delivery of ours at PDI. The dealer already had noted dents on the Refrigerator doors and was ordering new ones. It took 4 weeks for them to come in. On our first trip, noticed the grey water valve leaking. Had them fix that when we went back for the doors. In hind sight, I should have just let that valve go and got a end cap valve. I ended up doing that when the cable broke on one of our trips.
-Jeff
Old 01-29-2016, 09:33 AM   #14

Illinois
Took mine home same day also. Had a plumbing leak, generator stall, and some fit and finish issues that General RV took care of (not who I bought unit from). Just thinking dealer is quicker to repair if they don't have that check. I see postings of units being tied up for months waiting for repairs. You move to the top of the repair list if you haven't given them that $80,000 check. Regardless, it's a crap shoot. Who knows, you may get one that comes off the line perfect. Good luck.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:30 PM   #15

British Columbia
I also took delivery on the day we picked up of trailer, but only after they brought a tech out the adjust the awning that was hanging up when it was closing and a few other piddly things that should have been addressed when they PDI'd the unit for sale.

The thing is the dealer knew up front that it wasn't moving of the lot until we were satisfied.

I really dislike the term PDI used in the context that we use it here. A PDI is something that the dealer is paid to do by the manufacturer, just like in the auto industry, to clean the unit up and make any repairs or adjustments that may be needed.

The dealers don't spend the time they are alotted for a PDI, because they know that most of the stuff needs attention will be taken care of by the purchaser.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:52 AM   #16

Florida
Well it went smoothly. They had already addressed the two items I had issues with except they left some trim knicked from the repair to.the door handle but was promptly fixed w veneer. The light had not been installed but was there in the coach and it was installed by the time we finished. We had three other items that needed some attention and they were also fixed right there. It has been raining and raining here so i looked for signs of any leaks. My husband went and looked at rhe roof. We took the checklist and my husband checked things off.

They hitched us up and we left. Right now we can't park it where we used to because this one is ten feet longer than the one we traded and our space is at an impossible angle at least it seemes so in rhe dark so that's an issue. We have a friend that has storage on his property and let us pull it there since is around the corner from the place where we used to store it. We recently upgraded to a bigger truck so all in all we are about 50 ft long where I think we used to be to around 36 ft.

I am thrilled but a little scared since backing it up might be an issue. I have a back up camera to install but that will not help the overall size issue. We were going to take it down to Sarasota today but the place had a few spots is all booked up. Next weekend we are planning on taking it to a music festival so should be great. Then I am gonna line up a few weekends for Universal Mardis Gras. Hopefully by then bigger will seem more manageable. The 24 ft seemed huge after going from a 19 so... fingers crossed. . Thanks for your advice and words of encouragement.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:39 PM   #17

British Columbia
Glad everything went well.

Amazing how quick they can fix stuff when they know the unit is not leaving their lot until your satisfied.

Congratulations.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:59 AM   #18

Illinois
That unit would have sat for a month, if you were taking it back for warranty work (unless you have a great dealer, which appears to be pretty rare). You'll get the hand of backing. Practice, practice, practice. When there is any doubt, get out of the truck and check! Congratulations again.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:56 AM   #19

North Carolina
seems like a common " major" problem is how the roof is mounted around the A/C's... Im dealing with the tail end on a heartland cyclone of this same issue. we are getting ready to do a PDI, ( notice, i didn't say pick up the trailer), in a couple weeks... I WILL be checking this FIRST.that one simple mistake basically TOTALED this trailer in short order! !

so.. can I just pull the plastic cover and see what i need to look at ? what should it look like ?

also, im not too sure the roof ever "leaked".. i think it was the condensation water from the A/C running. not 100% on how that water stays on top of the roof..
hopkins44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 02:28 PM   #20

Florida
I am installing Max Airs today and I am going to have my friend check that out for me. Thanks for that point. It is still sitting in my friend's driveway but getting it today and either move it to the back or trying the old space again in the dark. Makes me wish i never bought a townhouse. HOA wont even let us load the trailer overnight. But then when we bought this place so long ago we had no idea we were going to own a travel trailer.