First timers - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2021, 03:17 AM   #1

Pennsylvania
First timers

Hey there,

My wife and I just bought a 1999 Dutchmen Aerolite Cub (21') and it's our first camper. We got it for a steal as everything works, we just need to give it a good scrubbing! We've done a bunch of tent camping but needed a way to camp with both kids (the boy is 4 and a little girl on the way).

I'm sure I'll do a lot more reading than I will posting but I hope ya'll will graciously accept me in. See ya around!

Titus2423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:56 AM   #2

Florida
Hello Titus- Welcome to this place and hope you enjoy your camper!

Tell us where you camp and include some pictures.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 12:42 AM   #3

Florida
happy new camper

Hi and welcome Titus. My first advice to new trailer/RV owners is to check those tires. Nothing spoils a good time than having a blow out on the road. Check the manufacture date and tire pressure before heading out. I guess the rule of thumb is the tires should be no more than 4-5 years even though it looks like the tire tread is great. Good luck on your travels.
edwin sandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 02:44 PM   #4

California
Take some time looking around here and other forums. There is lot of good information out there. Speaking of tires the consensus from a lot of us to consider going to the Goodyear Endurance tires. Yes more expensive but this is not the place to save money. Also ask questions here and you will get some very good replies.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 04:00 PM   #5

Florida
I learned my lesson the hard way about the tires that come with the RV... Changed to the Endurance tires and not even a whisper of an issue. Just let it be known that there are a couple of items that require attention when you change to the endurance tires.
1. the recommended inflation will be more than the original tires so you will really want to change the valve stems.
2. the new tires, even though they are the same numbers as the china bombs, will be larger and probably wider than your old ones.
3 purchase a TPMS system-worth the $$$.
Old 09-06-2021, 05:07 PM   #6

Pennsylvania
Sorry guys, just now seeing all the replies! My wife and I have a couple places we tent camp between Pittsburgh and Erie. We're going to try and get out once before it gets too cold and the baby comes.

As far as the tires, they're in decent shape as far as the tread goes. They don't look dried out but I keep forgetting to check the date code on them. They're rated for 50 pounds, but I think they were 31 when we brought it home (that's what the seller said he ran them at).

I'll attach a couple pictures but I don't have anything too specific
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210904_141252.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	7085   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210904_141301.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	7086   Click image for larger version

Name:	image000004(1).jpg
Views:	155
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	7087  
Titus2423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 06:26 PM   #7

Florida
Word to the wise, the tires can look "brand new" but they still can be deadly. Change them and you will be without worries about a blowout on the road and costly repairs when that happens.

Frank
Old 09-08-2021, 03:04 PM   #8

California
To me tires are not the place to same money.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:01 PM   #9

Illinois
Welcome,,, I would recommend tire replacement if they are over 3 years old. My first 5th wheel had new looking tread on the tires, but on first trip had 2 blow outs, takes the fun out of it all.
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 02:21 PM   #10

California
If tires are properly inflated and covered or protected from the sun then 5 years is safe but buying used and not knowing history including the possibility they sat flattened and or in the sun they could be destroyed even sooner than 3 years so I to would replace them.

Unlike a car, if you get a blow out at speed the odds of damaging the trailer are very high and you might not even notice right away which can cause far greater damage.

With a light weight trailer like you have it is very possible you might find higher quality truck or even car tires that have adequate capacity which should be far more reliable than ST or trailer tires made over seas.
Old 04-12-2022, 01:10 AM   #11

Florida
First timer

Our family recently purchased a 2021 Kodiak Cub. Apart from renting a pop-up once in a while it is our first RV. According to the nameplate the model is a KD177RB21. It's really nice and my son and daughter in law will be taking it for it's first camping trip soon. They will be boondocking but they will have a propane/gas generator. My question relates to the correct ball size for the hitch. There is so much paint on the hitch that the size cannot be read properly. My son towed it home with a 2 inch ball. Later I purchased a 2-5/16 ball. The 2-5/16 seems the better fit, tight and secure. Can anyone confirm for me. Many thanks in advance.
Czubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 02:04 AM   #12

Florida
2 5/16
Old 04-12-2022, 02:42 AM   #13

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
2 5/16
My son and I thank you.

Czubek is offline   Reply With Quote