First time camper owners! Help! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #1

Unhappy First time camper owners! Help!

Hello! My husband and I just purchased a Kodiak 284BHSL and it's our first time ever owning any kind of camper. We are soo excited to start using it! We're in Northern MN and have 2 children that are also very excited! We bought it from Escanaba, MI so we're far from our dealer. We had a friend come over and help us de-winterize the camper, but after they left we turned on the water pump and it started to make a horrible knocking noise! I had wrote down directions when we were at the dealership on how to de-winterize it and I think the friend missed a couple steps and I had a hard time reading my notes and understanding them! It was over a month ago that we went and got it. Can anyone offer any advice or directions on how to de-winterize the camper? Thank you so very much in advance!

Northern MN
Ferminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #2

British Columbia
Re: First time camper owners! Help!

First off, welcome the the forums, we like pictures here so if you get some time we would love to see pictures of your setup. As far as the knocking pump, it could be the pump is starving for water possibly due to a bypass valve not in the correct position or maybe no water in the freshwater tank. I haven't dewinterized our trailer yet so I don't know the exact layout of valving and such. Hopefully someone with the same model can advise better, good luck. Also if you haven't already called, maybe the dealer could offer some information on this.

Cheers
Daryl B.

grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:17 AM   #3

Saskatchewan
Re: First time camper owners! Help!

We have the same trailer, but I have the dealership do all the winterizing and dewinterizing. That way, if something goes wrong, hey, it's not my fault! ;-hap

As for the knocking water pump, what faucet did you have open? We have a Sur-Flo pump in ours and it has 2 different "flow modes" I guess you could say. When a faucet is not wide open it goes into low flow mode and it sounds like a machine gun, i.e. tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap, etc. And it is louder than when it's in high flow mode when a faucet is wide open, which then the pump runs normal I guess.
2012 Ford F150 XLT EB SS CRW 6.5 Max Tow
'12 Dutchmen Kodiak 284BHSL
knesdad is offline   Reply With Quote