Dual pane windows - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2014, 02:03 AM   #1

Oklahoma
Cool Dual pane windows

Hi, I am new to the sight, long time lookie loo. I am going to order a voltage 3970 and was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the dual pain windows. The dealer did not recommend them saying that the R factor is 1% higher then just the single pain also the wieght and the $2000.00 cost. Thanks jim

Grdrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:17 AM   #2

Wyoming
Well, dual pane windows are more than 1% higher, ask anyone who lives in colder climates if they think dual pane windows are worth it or not. Remember that it works both ways- in winter it keeps the heat in and in summer it keeps the heat out if you're using your AC.

Another factor people overlook is sound. Dual panes make your trailer a lot quieter.
I have them and would not buy a unit without them. This actually goes for the whole winterized package. You never know when you'll need it, it's not always about winter areas but also elevation. Some places in the southwest are pretty high up and have hot days and cold nights.

Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:42 AM   #3

Oklahoma
I know that the dual pain windows in my house are built very well and are really efficiant. I was wondering if the windows that they put into the units are worth it. Sounds like your sold on them and your comments make a lot of since. How about the extra wieght is it very noticable. The Voltage 3970 loaded is about 20,000 Lbs
Grdrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:12 AM   #4

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grdrod1 View Post
The Voltage 3970 loaded is about 20,000 Lbs
I don't have the dual pane window but wish I did. A lot of heat comes in through my windows enough that I added these.

If I would have had the option of purchasing the dual pane windows I would have done so.

Do a little more research on the subject their are lots of other forums out there and you can get more owner and non owner opinions.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:20 AM   #5

Arizona
I believe that dual pane also reduces condensation on the inside of the windows. They are definitely worth it, and I don't think you'll notice any weight difference.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:57 PM   #6

Oklahoma
While the duals may mitigate the movement of hot/cold air into and out of the unit one has to take into consideration of the thin, poorly insulated walls, floors and ceiling.

IF the insulated portions were heavily insulated then the duals would be worth the extra expense. All in all there are more square feet of poorly insulated areas than window areas, regardless of duals, triples or singles. This, therefore, mostly negates the need for heavier windows. Just think of the skylights, the refrigerator, water heater, furnance, fans and the other openings to the outside that leak air.

This is just my take on the subject however.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:11 AM   #7

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
While the duals may mitigate the movement of hot/cold air into and out of the unit one has to take into consideration of the thin, poorly insulated walls, floors and ceiling.

IF the insulated portions were heavily insulated then the duals would be worth the extra expense. All in all there are more square feet of poorly insulated areas than window areas, regardless of duals, triples or singles. This, therefore, mostly negates the need for heavier windows. Just think of the skylights, the refrigerator, water heater, furnance, fans and the other openings to the outside that leak air.

This is just my take on the subject however.
I agree that the units are not well insulated and that dual pane windows may not do all a person might hope they would do. But, the amount of heat that comes through the windows when the sun is shining directly on them is well, allot of heat. I don't know how much the dual pane windows would block. I doubt that the dual pane would do that much for the cold.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:37 AM   #8

New Jersey
We have the dual pane windows. I am happy with them. The biggest noticeable difference is we don't wake up every morning to windows full of condensation. That alone makes it worth it. I agree with the other comments about RV's not having the best insulation overall, but every little bit helps. They are not made as well as dual pane windows one would find in a house. The air gap between panes is not as big, the construction is not as solid, looks like they essentially silicone an inner pane to the outside pane. I don't expect that they are built with an inert gas in between panes.

I'd still buy them again, and am happy with the improvement over prior RV experiences.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:47 PM   #9

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
I don't have the dual pane window but wish I did. A lot of heat comes in through my windows enough that I added these.

If I would have had the option of purchasing the dual pane windows I would have done so.

Do a little more research on the subject their are lots of other forums out there and you can get more owner and non owner opinions.
Are those awnings from Carefree ?
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:53 PM   #10

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Are those awnings from Carefree ?
Yes they are Carefree Awings.

I live in Quartzsite. Last winter I called the company located in El Cajon (sp). The got me an installer to the house the next day. He measured, called in the order and installed the next day. Wow, 3 days from the time I called.

The front awning weighs 21 pounds, the rear weighs 12 pounds. They work really well. Need to take care and not leave them out in high winds. Another story there.

Choice of fabrics are what you see (many colors to choose from) or exactly the same as the factory awing. Installer told me the factory stuff was the CHEAP stuff.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:26 PM   #11

California
Arlan
Doesn't Carefree have a booth at Tyson Wells every winter time out there? Sure seems like I remember seeing them over the years we go out there.

Thanks Mike
Old 05-05-2014, 05:42 PM   #12

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Arlan
Doesn't Carefree have a booth at Tyson Wells every winter time out there? Sure seems like I remember seeing them over the years we go out there.

Thanks Mike
Yeah, they have a booth. It is pretty shabby but you get an idea of what they have to offer.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:33 PM   #13

Alaska
I don't have dual pane windows and didn't have condensation this winter (Feb till present) in Anchorage Alaska. I noticed the pantry next to the frig was really cold due to no insulation between the wall's, so your food in the pantry is very cold. I did leave the door open so heat could get inside. I also left the vent open to keep from getting condendsation. My neighbors however have condenstion on their windows every morning in their Keystone. So at this point, I'm glad I didn't opt for the price of dual pane as over time they will get an air leak and condensate between the pane's. When that happens it's about $250.00 per window to repair from what I've been told by those who do have them.
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:53 PM   #14

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
I don't have dual pane windows and didn't have condensation this winter (Feb till present) in Anchorage Alaska. I noticed the pantry next to the frig was really cold due to no insulation between the wall's, so your food in the pantry is very cold. I did leave the door open so heat could get inside. I also left the vent open to keep from getting condendsation. My neighbors however have condenstion on their windows every morning in their Keystone. So at this point, I'm glad I didn't opt for the price of dual pane as over time they will get an air leak and condensate between the pane's. When that happens it's about $250.00 per window to repair from what I've been told by those who do have them.
Do have dual pane windows at home & in my 03 Teton. Never had any problems with either. Of course I don't use my RV in super cold weather. That's why I live in the desert.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:53 PM   #15

Colorado
Although I have yet to receive my unit, I ordered dual pane windows for the following reasons. The data from the Voltage rep indicates an increase of 3 R factor in insulation. He also indicated that the investment for me in a dry climate probably does NOT make sense. However, when able to negotiate with the dealer, and not having to pay for them, I opted for the upgrade not for the R factor... but for the decrease in noise that many forums mention of full time rigs having dual pane. So in summary, slight increase in insulation, noise reduction when crowded area or roadside, and elimination of condensation on cold morning over night temp swings.
splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #16

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
I've had the same experience in last two rigs with single pane and fulltiming in all four seasons for 18 months. Honestly when you consider all the sources for air to enter these rigs i.e underneath slides, behind sofa near outside television and the winow knobs, 3R savings on dual panes just arent worth the added expense/weight. Go with the plastic window covering and save the weight/money. I've also talked with others that wished they had not spent the money due to air penetration between the panes and cant get it out simply by cracking a window or vent.
2 HDs & Can-Am Two up
nmroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:57 AM   #17

Tennessee
Dual Pane Safety Glass Windows question, are all the windows in your voltage dual pane? I will be conducting my PDI in the morning, should every window be a dual pane window? Small and large windows.
Thanks
ldo2104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:00 AM   #18

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldo2104 View Post
Dual Pane Safety Glass Windows question, are all the windows in your voltage dual pane? I will be conducting my PDI in the morning, should every window be a dual pane window? Small and large windows.
Thanks
As best I can tell, all the windows are dual pane, large & small; opening and non opening windows.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #19

Tennessee
Thanks, I noticed on my quick look through the unit that some windows have stickers that say "insulated window" and some that do not. I will inspect every window closely during my PDI today.
ldo2104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:38 PM   #20

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldo2104 View Post
Thanks, I noticed on my quick look through the unit that some windows have stickers that say "insulated window" and some that do not. I will inspect every window closely during my PDI today.
Please Keep us posted... My delivery and PDI should be soon!

splash is offline   Reply With Quote