draining battery - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2022, 10:54 PM   #1

Colorado
draining battery

Newbie here. I couldn't find a thread regarding my problem. I have a Kodiak Cub 2020 18'. My battery is being drained overnight, off grid. Items I use are pump, propane refrigerator, water heater, bathroom vent fan, a few lights, and the slider out and in. The battery is new. Why is my battery draining and what should I do about it?

smhoefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 03:44 PM   #2

Montana
How do you maintain the battery when you're not using the camper? The items you mentioned shouldn't drain overnight during typical use. But how the battery is maintained when not in use will affect its lifespan and performance when in use.

Old 06-09-2022, 07:33 PM   #3

Wisconsin
Kodiak Cub Battery Life

Current specifications for Kodiak Cubs do not include an 18 foot floor plan. The smallest is 21.5 feet. What is the model number?

If you have an inverter in your Cub it could draw the battery down quickly. Features and options on the Dutchmen Kodiak site do not include an inverter, but one could easily be added after market.
https://www.dutchmen.com/product/kod...andardsOptions

Next is the furnace fan. The furnace fan uses substantial current when it is running.

The refrigerator is another possibility. The options on the website don't list the refrigerator model. Most absorption refers use 12 volt for the control circuits, however the control circuits use very little 12 volt power. Run refer on propane to minimize 12 volt usage.

Some refers use 12 volts to heat the boiler in the absorption system. This type of refer could easily draw the batteries down overnight. It is unlikely you have one of these.

To know what is happening for sure, you could install a shunt type current monitor in the battery negative wire. You would be able to read current draw when various appliances are running.
https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Energ...803471&sr=8-39

Certainly battery capacity matters. My 2018 Cub came with a 70 amp hour battery. I quickly switched to two 100 amp hour AGM batteries. The 200 amp hour battery bank will last for 5 nights of dry camping in the summer. It lasts for Three nights of dry camping in freezing weather with the furnace running.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 09:48 PM   #4

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by smhoefer View Post
Newbie here. I couldn't find a thread regarding my problem. I have a Kodiak Cub 2020 18'. My battery is being drained overnight, off grid. Items I use are pump, propane refrigerator, water heater, bathroom vent fan, a few lights, and the slider out and in. The battery is new. Why is my battery draining and what should I do about it?
Are you running your water heater on propane or electric?
HappyCamper7 is offline   Reply With Quote