Awnings - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2023, 12:20 AM   #1

Florida
Awnings

New to RVing here! Do you keep your awnings extended or retracted at night or when not in use? Tie them down, etc?

Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 03:37 AM   #2

California
Retracted. Sun and wind will destroy them.

Old 02-03-2023, 11:23 AM   #3

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsol View Post
Retracted. Sun and wind will destroy them.
Retracted, wind will destroy them.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 11:54 AM   #4

Florida
That's what I was thinking too but needed to ask. Thank you!
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 04:06 PM   #5

Montana
I am overly anxious about my electric awning and pull it in anytime there is more than a gentle breeze and always if it will be unattended. This includes bringing it in at night when sleeping. The reason why is when my camper was new I left it extended for a quick trip to town and back. Of course the wind picked up while I was gone, I came back to a destroyed awning. Our previous camper had a manual awning and I feel like those are sturdier based on how the struts are setup and the additional flexibility you have to be able to remove the bottom part of the struts to move out and stake down. But I think best practice is to bring the awning in if you are going to not be immediately available should the wind pick up.
Old 02-11-2023, 09:15 PM   #6

Indiana
Always retracted at night. Serves no purpose in the night! Good question though.
sdh305@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 10:38 PM   #7

Illinois
Retract it. Had mine tied down and still got bent,,, so retract
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 02:02 AM   #8

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
New to RVing here! Do you keep your awnings extended or retracted at night or when not in use? Tie them down, etc?
I only retract it if there is going to be a storm. We live in our Coachman 5 months out of the year, so I use straps to hold it down and a sun screen. The constant in and out will wear out the motor and the joints/hinges. Just keep it clean.
capeharj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 03:05 PM   #9

California
If you are full time then I agree with the above and would want to limit wear and tear by refracting and extending daily. However, if you are not full time I suggest otherwise.

These awnings are like parachutes or sails and are made out of very cheap components (like just about everything in your RV). A slight breeze will blow it up, bend a bracket or support, or rip it off the vehicle.

I was camping in the San Diego area and sitting on my back deck (loading door) with the rear awning out. There was a very gentle breeze off the bay, nowhere near what would be concerning and it blew the awning straight up and over my roof and it ripped it right out of the bracket and it came crashing down. Luckily, no one was hurt and I was actually able to relocate the brackets and secure with better screws and epoxy.

Higher quality RV’s have awnings that retract automatically when there is enough winds. Believe me, manufacturers wouldn’t install these features if the awnings were capable of withstanding more than the slightest of breezes.

My two cents.
Old 02-13-2023, 06:15 PM   #10

Arizona
I would offer that if you have the electric awning you should keep it retracted unless it is being used, even if you have the auto-retract feature for wind. I have the older manual style awning, Sunchaser model 802GU18.401B, and rarely retract it as I have devised a method to keep it safe. Been to many Burning Man events and very rarely had to retract because of the wind. Once we set up camp the awning comes out and stays out until we leave.
Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 02:48 PM   #11

Wisconsin
In Wisconsin State Parks, almost all sites are forested. I leave mine out unless a storm is forecast.

In Big Bend National Park in Texas, I roll it up when ever I leave the camp site and at night. There is very little wind shelter there.

I have tie down poles and straps, but rarely use them because they take time to setup and take down. Moving every couple of days makes that a burden. I have used the straps in 15 mph winds with no issues.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 09:30 PM   #12

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post

ONE thing, might have been said already, is if it is retracted when wet be sure to put it back our when dry so it can dry off. And might want to put it oust even it closed when it rains as the water will seep into the ends of it.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 05:37 AM   #13

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by chily3 View Post
ONE thing, might have been said already, is if it is retracted when wet be sure to put it back out when dry so it can dry off. And might want to put it out even if closed when it rains as the water will seep into the ends of it.

Fixed the above. Have to quit using my phone to post.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote