Australian Dutchmen - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #1

Ohio
Australian Dutchmen

Hi Everyone,
I am Warren, I am in the process of purchasing a Kodiak 221RBSL. Once the sale is finalized and I have all the government permits the trailer will be shipped to Australia. When I receive it I will then modify it to make it compliant with Australian rules so I can register it.
It needs a door installed in the left side, all the gas lines removed and replaced with copper lines, all the 110v wiring and fittings replaced with 240v wiring and fittings.
The coupling, chains, all the signal lighting need to replaced as well. The is so it meet the Australian Design Rules.
All the gas appliances needs to be certified for use in Australia. Some of the 110v appliances needs to replaced and whats left I need to a step down transformer.
So get ready for lots of questions when I start work on it(should receive it by Christmas).

Warren

WarrenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #2

Louisiana
Welcome to the forum.

Wow! It sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you. Just out of curiosity, what made you decide to take on such a large project? Would it not be cheaper to buy a caravan in Austrailia that already has all of the systems and is already compliant with your local requirements?

Either way, I'm excited to see your progress and please post lots of pictures along the way.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:54 PM   #3

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
Would it not be cheaper to buy a caravan in Austrailia that already has all of the systems and is already compliant with your local requirements?
I too will be interested to see how this progresses. And I too wonder why?

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:06 AM   #4

Ohio
There is a couple of reasons, the uniqueness of a US caravan in Australia and and the overall cost. By the time you add the cost of the unit, the freight costs the Aussie government taxes, the modifications and compliancing the cost still is at least $15,000 cheaper than a comparable caravan in Australia. Strength and quality I would think would be similar.
I don't think the mods are that great. The door and steps should be pretty straightforward. The door will replace a window, so the hole is half there already. The gas lines will be done by a gas fitter, I am an electrician so the 240v and 12v electrics should be OK. I have a son who is a boiler maker, so the welding for the coupling(hitch) is taken care off.

Warren
WarrenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #5

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenK View Post
There is a couple of reasons, the uniqueness of a US caravan in Australia and and the overall cost. By the time you add the cost of the unit, the freight costs the Aussie government taxes, the modifications and compliancing the cost still is at least $15,000 cheaper than a comparable caravan in Australia. Strength and quality I would think would be similar.
I don't think the mods are that great. The door and steps should be pretty straightforward. The door will replace a window, so the hole is half there already. The gas lines will be done by a gas fitter, I am an electrician so the 240v and 12v electrics should be OK. I have a son who is a boiler maker, so the welding for the coupling(hitch) is taken care off.

Warren
Please take pictures along the way and keep us informed of your progress............

So to purchase in Australia would cost your approximately $40,000 US dollars?????? WOW!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #6

Saskatchewan
Welcome aboard, and your project sounds very interesting. I too would like to see the transformation process!

Dave.

2012 Ford F150 XLT EB SS CRW 6.5 Max Tow
'12 Dutchmen Kodiak 284BHSL
knesdad is offline   Reply With Quote