2010 Denali flooring - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2021, 12:40 AM   #1

Alabama
2010 Denali flooring

Anyone have a buckling floor, or pictures of what lies under the kitchen linoleum? I've been looking at images and videos so I've got an idea of typical construction, but I don't want to be overconfident.

I've owned the trailer a few years and it has always had this buckled area in the middle of the floor. Seems very solid except for the irritating hump. Thinking I can add some screws through the plywood to the supporting 2x3s which are likely on either side of the heater vent channel and every 16 inches beyond that. Then I'll replace the vinyl flooring and probably let it snowball into a full renovation.

Is it a pipe dream to think the floor could be an easy fix? I've not be able to find any ongoing leaks or soft spots. Related posts, links, thoughts would be appreciated.

oleknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:12 PM   #2

Illinois
Usually the floor is supported at the ends and floats in the middle, mainly due to the tanks under it. I have a 2020 Arctic Wolf 5th wheel and has opposing slide, there is a hump in the middle of the living area that is annoying as hell since it bounces when walked on, but Dealer, and FR said its normal since it is not secured in the middle, only on the sides and ends where the brackets are located.

From watching assembly videos, the frames are upside down when they install the tanks and belly liner and whatever insulation is used, then they flip them over and if there is ductwork or plumbing it is installed then. The floor is fully built and covered with vinyl and craned over to the frame where they attach it to the brackets from underneath. What I watched pretty much confirmed what the dealer and FR said.

acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 01:22 PM   #3

Michigan
Your floor does not have traditional floor joists. It is constructed by making a 1 1/2 aluminum frame, 1/4" plywood, 1 1/4" foam and another 1 1/4" layer of plywood. They apply glue to the plywood and put a layer top and bottom then pull it together with vacuum. It is not repairable, I've tried. You can replace the plywood, replace the foam, but you can't use vacuum to pull it together and make it a single unit. That is how it get's it's strength from otherwise flimsy components.
capeharj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 06:04 PM   #4

Alabama
I was afraid of this. The bouncy hump in the middle is an annoying "feature" of the construction process. To be clear, I know it doesn't have real joists, but some of the videos show pieces of wood running lengthwise, with the furnace ductwork nestled exactly in between 2 of those lengthwise pieces. It wouldn't surprise me to learn this entire floor is the foam core sandwich.

I was able to look into the ductwork itself with a borescope to find a section of the duct which is supported/reinforced with aluminum channel in front of the stove...exactly where the hump is the worst. I may put a self tapping screw into that aluminum before covering the floor w vinyl plank...or I may just be annoyed by it every time I walk in.

Thanks for the replies.
oleknot is offline   Reply With Quote