1998 Duck 801 D - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2020, 02:00 AM   #1

California
1998 Duck 801 D

Very Very basic 8' duck. 1998 801 D
Has 110 v outlets, a two burner propane stove a sink that drains outside camper and an ice box ( not a refrigerator) drains under trailer.

Anyone have one of these things?
No manual that doesnt cover tons of stuff this trailer doesnt have.

Two things so far I can't figure.
There is what looks like a hot lead on the tongue for 12v . Hook a 12 v source up to it and nothing happens. The 12v light in the camper roof lights if you hook it up to 110. As does the propane detector. It has a cigarette lighter type plug that is also 12 volts... that's unhooked. Should that lead and the ground work the 12 volt stuff? If not I won't get a battery.

The sink drains directly outside the popup.
Should I have a grey water tank to hook up to it?
Guy sold it to me told me the sink drained to a bucket inside..yeah he also stole this thing, owner gave it to me so its mine now.
He doesn't care to tell me anything about it...

Anyone got this very basic popup? Ever Seen one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200823_183126.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	6443   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200822_153847.jpg
Views:	1633
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	6444   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200823_183118.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	6445  

George C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 03:50 PM   #2

Wisconsin
Typical pop up camper configurattion.

You have a typical pop up or folding camper configuration. Use any pop up camper manual for most issues you may have. None of the manuals are very specific to any given model.

1) There is probably no gray water tank. The sink drain is usually connected to a lawn faucet fitting on the outside. Connect a 2 or 3 foot hose to outside and put free end into bucket or 5 gallon jug. If the drain is disconnected under the sink, put the bucket under the sink.
2) The trailer may have electric brakes. If so, a battery on the tongue is mandatory to operate the brake in an emergency. Do you have a battery box and battery on the tongue? If not you need one for the break and for the 12 volt lights inside. You may have a manual water pump or a 12 volt electric one. Look at any pop up camper for how to add a battery box and wiring. It will need a fuse or breaker.
3) I see a water fill port. Get a white potable water hose to use to fill the tank. Ordinary garden hoses will contaminate the water with chemicals and biologicals. Don’t use the white hose for other gardening uses. I also see a “city water” garden faucet fitting you can use to connect directly to a garden faucet. It by passes the water tank. Always use the white hose.
4) I see a 30 amp power cord. You said you connected it and the inside lights worked. That means you have a converter which probably will also charge the battery on the tongue.
5) The battery on the tongue usually has a self resetting circuit breaker within two feet. It is a metal can about 2 inches in size with two wires connected. It could be a fuse instead. That probably leads to an internal fuse and circuit breaker panel. The circuit breakers are for 120 volt AC circuits. The fuses are for 12 volt circuits. The converter/charger that produces 12 volts from 120 volts AC is probably all part of the same box/panel.
6) You may have a propane heater with or without a 12 volt fan. If so, you need the battery to run the fan and possibly 12 volts to control the temperature. I did not see the necessary exhaust vent on the outside for a heater, but your pictures don’t show the entire outside surface.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:32 PM   #3

California
Thanks.
This pop up has no heater, no circuit breakers (one of the 110 outlets has a ground fault) , no electric water pump. But I appreciate the info on water.
I will get a white hose.
Does have a converter in the same box as the 10 gallon water tank seems risky, but it has no external switches and a tag that warns you not to open it.
Still hoping someone out there has an old 801 Duck with no options. I do.
Love to see what the battery does. That does look like a fuse link on the lead. I'll check that out.
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200822_123105.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	6446   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200824_092740.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	6447  
Old 08-24-2020, 05:30 PM   #4

Wisconsin
There are three 120 volt cables coming out of that metal box. There are almost certainly three circuit breakers or fuses associated with that metal box. May be the switches are on the other side or a near by location.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:39 PM   #5

California
Inverter Converter or both. 1998 Duck 801D

I have good success plugging this old Duck into 110 v source. Plugs inside are good, propane detector comes on, interior light works 12 volt cigarette lighter plug powers up.
That's it.. this trailer has No other options.
No brakes no refrigerator no heater no no water heater or water pump no nothing.
So, since there is no manual for a basic 1998 Duck and no information on the box under the luncheonette seat....
Is there a Duck owner out there that can tell me if this is just a converter, or also an Inverter?
If it is not an inverter I have no reason to put a battery on the tongue. An Led light and a 9 volt battery operated gas detector will replace a 12 volt battery on the tongue.

I put a 12 v power source through the fuse link on the tongue and checked it for ground.. all good power going in the camper... no light no detector..
seems it's not working. No reason to continue this line of investigation unless this darned box should be powering the 110 outlets because its also an Inverter

Any Duck owners out there can tell me if it is also an inverter? BTW..This app makes my photos sideways or upside down. Sorry.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200822_134338.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	6448   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200822_123105.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	6449   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200822_123148.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	6450  
Old 08-25-2020, 03:02 PM   #6

Wisconsin
The mysterious metal box is highly unlikely to contain an inverter.

The wire and fuse at the front of the trailer is loose. So, a fuse is likely blown somewhere because the bare end would have grounded the 12 volts. It could be in the little fuse holder. It could be another one near or on the other side of the metal box.

There should be a make and model number on the metal box. They are not on the pictures of labels you posted.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:18 PM   #7

Wisconsin
I have a 95 Dutchmen and my power box has a converter, 120V to 12V. If you drop the door on the other side of the converter to what you show, it will give you a model number. If you look on it somewhere, there may be a switch that goes "12V Off 120V"
That is what mine has.
I don't have any 12V wiring on my tongue or a place for a 12V battery to be set in, so I am kind of stumped on how to add a battery.

But back to you, if you get the model number of the converter, you can look that up online to at least get some general information from it.
Naweenio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 12:22 AM   #8

Indiana
I have a similar pop up, there is a 120 to 12 volt converter, probably some blade type fuses under a cover on supply. My sink drains under the camper, I use a bucket to catch sink water.
Faucet is a hand pump, unless you have the hose connected, then operates like a valve.
In my case 12 volt line from trailer connector runs fridge on 12 volt, there is a place for a 12 volt battery so you have lights if not plugged in to 120volt, I never used a battery.
I have no 12 to 120 inverter in my camper.
EVguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:30 PM   #9

California
Duck 801 owners manual

I have the exact same model as yours but mine is not nearly in as good a shape. I bought it a few months ago as a project. The battery was located under the seat where the inverter and water tank is located, yes bad location. If I decided to use it I plan to put it in a different location.
Attached is the owners manual I found on line. It was not much help for me, hope it is for you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1dutchmen-manual-1994.pdf (4.38 MB, 501 views)
dutchmen m-801 duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 05:42 PM   #10

Nevada
On my duck the inverter is in front of the ice box on the ground to the left of the dining table. I do have a battery box mounted to the tongue of my trailer. The one thing that I can't find is any kind of vin tag. Maybe you can help me find it?
I realize this is an old post but hopefully we can help each other out here.

Thatonejeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote