Dutchmen Owners

Dutchmen Owners (http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums/)
-   Towing Talk (http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums/f51/)
-   -   Problem adjusting WDH (http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums/f51/problem-adjusting-wdh-5456.html)

nitroscope8 04-23-2017 08:18 PM

Problem adjusting WDH

1 Attachment(s)
I have a 2017 Aspen trail 2790BHS with a dry hitch weight of about 640 lbs and an ACTUAL hitch weight of 760lbs. My tow vehicle is a 2015 Tundra. My WDH with sway control is an EAZ Lift Round Bar Elite with 1000lb bars. After getting everything adjusted i'm still Getting about 1.5" of sag on the rear of the truck and 0" drop on the front of the truck. Currently there are seven links between the bar and the frame and I know I need to go down to six links to get more weight distribution, but the problem is no matter how high I jack the front of the trailer and the back of the truck with the tongue jack I cannot for the life of me get the chain high enough to get another link out of it.
When I took the trailer home from the dealer in PA they had the ball too low and the angle wrong for the bars and I had 2" of sag in the rear. So after setting everything up better and getting more angle I just can't for the life of me get another link. What can I do?

wildwest450 04-23-2017 08:28 PM

You can tilt the hitch head back a little. I don't know why you aren't able to raise it high enough with the jack to get another link, mine always hooks up fine with 3 links hanging down. From the pic, it looks like the trailer is sitting high in the front, maybe you need to drop the ball down a little?

nitroscope8 04-23-2017 08:35 PM

It is a little high in that picture because my driveway is far from level. I brought it to a flat area when I set it up and the bubble is between the lines when hitched....but bias nose heavy just a hair....which would be level if I could get more links.
When I brought it home I had three links free but I had a 2 inch sag and the bars were already pointing up a bit. Instead of going another link I angled the bars down and figured I'd stay at 3 free links. Instead i'm now met with 2 free links and i'm unable to get a 3rd.

chily3 04-23-2017 09:33 PM

Your bars look correct as the are "level" with the trailer frame. Another link will make the back of the bars higher. I agree with titling the hitch head back, this will make the bars lower and take the extra link up.

gotohatteras 04-23-2017 11:20 PM

Might try flipping the hitch. Remove the hitvh from the bar shaft that inserts into the truck tow hitch. Reattach hitch to the shaft. Play with the lowering or raising in the adjustment holes on shaft. Lower holes if need to lower front of trailer, and vice versa. Might be easier if sitting on a perfectly level place to begin with...less mathematics involved. I'm sure you'll get...hang in there. It ain't rocket science, but it ain't easy! You have more time than a dealer does !

nitroscope8 04-23-2017 11:30 PM

So I gave it max angle and now I'm 8 links and can't get 7. I jacked the back wheels of the truck off the ground and still nothing.... with sag. I feel as if I used a floor jack and jacked the bar more I could attach it... but that doesn't seem right.

radomcarl 04-24-2017 01:03 AM

Nitro,
A weight distributing hitch will not solve all your issues. With bars flat with the frame and nose level to slightly down, another link or two won't do it - especially if you need a gorilla to get that last link.
Time to look at the Tundra suspension. I had a similar issue with my 2016 F150 and a set of bolt on Firestone air bags did the trick. The suspension was just to soft in the rear of the truck.
Once I installed the airbags, I had to drop the ball one bolt hole and now I'm plumb level feont bumper of truck to back of trailer.
Keep at it. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

nitroscope8 04-24-2017 10:33 AM

Did the airbags reduce or eliminate the bobbing effect over large dips in the road?

radomcarl 04-24-2017 01:51 PM

You just confirmed the problem Nitro. The suspension on your Tundra is too soft. The condition is officially called porpoising. Mine was so bad, it felt as if the front wheels were going to come off the ground on concrete highways. The Firestone airbags in conjunction with a set of Joyrider shocks on the trailer took away about 95 percet of.all my complains. I can even go over rather bad RR crossings and not feel a bounce from the 7K lbs Kodiak behind.me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

nitroscope8 04-24-2017 05:17 PM

Well unfortunately it does make sense that I've reached the limit with my setup. I'm not close to the bump stops but it does seem that the springs are a bit soft. Been doing some additional research and It seems that other people on Toyota forums agree the rear springs are too weak for the truck. So this is all starting to make sense.

There seem to be three common fixes: Firestone airbags, Timbren enhancement system, and full length helper spring. After reading countless reviews and as much information as I could find about each, I've decided to go with the timbren enhancement. All three are inexpensive unless I went with the automatic air springs, then it starts to creep up. I decided on the Timbren because I don't have to constantly adjust airbag pressures. I'll be taking several long trips this summer and I will be going back and forth between trailer and no trailer and the less adjusting the better. The helper spring will actually raise the ride height of the truck and will, eventually, begin to sag and require adjustments to the hitch...and it was kind of a bitch to get it right and torqued properly. The timbrens will ride like stock with no to little load, and will progressively assist as load is added. I'll report back after installation. Thank you everyone for helping me figure this out.