Plastic Belly Plate Cracked - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2019, 08:31 PM   #1

Ontario
Plastic Belly Plate Cracked

I have a 2011 Dutchmen Kodiak 200QB. There is a black corrugated sheet of plastic, about 1/4" or 3/8" in thickness, that covers the entire underneath of the body. I noticed while winterizing that this sheet (I call it the belly plate) has cracked and separated slightly from side to side (width) from just behind the wheels. This allows both sides, where the crack runs, to hang lower. The gap is large enough to allow rodents to enter, I taped it up for the winter and will need to deal with it in the spring. Any ideas on how to fix a problem like that? Thanks

drchaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:15 PM   #2

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaffe View Post
I have a 2011 Dutchmen Kodiak 200QB. There is a black corrugated sheet of plastic, about 1/4" or 3/8" in thickness, that covers the entire underneath of the body. I noticed while winterizing that this sheet (I call it the belly plate) has cracked and separated slightly from side to side (width) from just behind the wheels. This allows both sides, where the crack runs, to hang lower. The gap is large enough to allow rodents to enter, I taped it up for the winter and will need to deal with it in the spring. Any ideas on how to fix a problem like that? Thanks

Its called coroplast, same thing a lot of signs are made of. If it was me, I wouldn't worry too much about it and would just seal it up with 4" wide piece of Etrnabond tape. You should have some in your emergency toolbox anyways, lol.

CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:18 AM   #3

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCLARK View Post
Its called coroplast, same thing a lot of signs are made of. If it was me, I wouldn't worry too much about it and would just seal it up with 4" wide piece of Etrnabond tape. You should have some in your emergency toolbox anyways, lol.
Hello Texas, Emergency Toolbox?? LOL. Thanks my friend, I'll check that tape out
Old 11-25-2019, 12:26 AM   #4

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaffe View Post
Hello Texas, Emergency Toolbox?? LOL. Thanks my friend, I'll check that tape out
Just for you: EternaBond White Mobile Home RV Rubber Roof Repair 4" x 20' - 20 Foot, 20 Feet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AYPCJ9G..._X1Y2DbF2T44A4
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:22 PM   #5

Florida
I would wonder why it's coming apart. CS is right, you should have some of that stuff in your emergency toolbox as well as that tape they show on TV to keep their boat from sinking when they saw it in half.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:43 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
I would wonder why it's coming apart. CS is right, you should have some of that stuff in your emergency toolbox as well as that tape they show on TV to keep their boat from sinking when they saw it in half.

You must not have seen the latest ad for the boat builder's products. He builds a clear boat but doesn't tape it together, he uses his special caulk to hold the parts solid.

Now dats sum caulk!
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 02:49 PM   #7

California
Could try the 4 inch black gorilla tape.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:54 PM   #8

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by chily3 View Post
Could try the 4 inch black gorilla tape.

I used the gorilla tape last year along the entire edge as a sealer and preventative. Still there. Keeping fingers crossed.

Along the front edge it was almost a necessity. The small gap was acting like a sail when on the road.....OOPS
Old 11-30-2019, 09:50 PM   #9

Alabama
Gorilla tape is useless on the underbelly cover. After a blowout that ripped all my wiring form the drivers side to curb side, I had to split the under belly to repair the wiring. I spilt it along the cross member so I could use washers and screws. I put gorilla tape to cover the new seam. After every trip I always had to replace the Gorilla tape. I cleaned the surface before taping, but it still didn't hold. I ended up putting a strip of plastic across the seam with a clear sealer E6000. Worries over.
Livin the Life
OldOneTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:24 AM   #10

Arizona
Gorilla tape

I'm a bit surprised your gorilla take doesn't hold. I bought the thick, black Gorilla tape and taped any and all areas under my rig on and around the coroplast that even remotely looked big enough for a rodent to get in. Then, taped over the bottom seam across the front of the rig. It's been on since September... And even Arizona heat doesn't affect it. I use Eternabond tape on my roof front cap seam and it's bulletproof as well. I keep both in my toolbox!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:56 AM   #11

Alabama
Possibly even though we have high heat issues here the problem might be humidity being near the gulf of Mexico. I also used Eternabond on my roof front and rear seams. That is a good product.
Livin the Life
OldOneTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 03:59 AM   #12

Idaho
Cut or drill holes on either side of the crack, and "sew" it up with zip ties. Cover the sutures with Eternabond.
Idcruiserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:30 AM   #13

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOneTwo View Post
Gorilla tape is useless on the underbelly cover. After a blowout that ripped all my wiring form the drivers side to curb side, I had to split the under belly to repair the wiring. I spilt it along the cross member so I could use washers and screws. I put gorilla tape to cover the new seam. After every trip I always had to replace the Gorilla tape. I cleaned the surface before taping, but it still didn't hold. I ended up putting a strip of plastic across the seam with a clear sealer E6000. Worries over.

Your mileage may vary
Old 12-01-2019, 11:32 AM   #14

Florida
After buying our 2018 233RBSL I was checking the whole rig over looking for issues and noticed the coroplast underbelly was only attached at the perimeter and was just flapping in the breeze in the middle. That bothered me so I purchased some roofing tek (self drilling) screws to attach it to the cross members better. You don't need a lot of fasteners and the cross members are easy to locate. You just have to be willing to move around on your back under the unit. Don't screw into your tanks.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Teks-12-x-1...4BBw&gclsrc=ds
Craigmkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:25 AM   #15

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idcruiserman View Post
Cut or drill holes on either side of the crack, and "sew" it up with zip ties. Cover the sutures with Eternabond.
That's a good idea. Thanks. I have very cold weather to deal with in the winter....sometimes -30celsius.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:05 PM   #16

Utah
Underbelly need some advice

Hi everyone, this post is similar to the original post in this thread, but different. Apparently the last time I had my trailer worked on at the dealer, they had to slice and dice my underbelly on my 2013 DUtchman Explorer. I have been reading different posts about what tape to use and best chance for success. It seems like it is a real adventure. Gorilla tape, no gorilla tape didn't work for me, flex tape, a lot of dislikes; now on this forum I hear about the tape that is used on the roof to possibly work on the underbelly. The way they have cut up the plate is there are no cross beam to help support the weight of the plate so the tape has to be the big daddy. I do like the suggestion to use tie wraps and suture up the slices. I plan on doing that before the tape. I the best thing to do is just maybe start off with Gorilla tape as it is obviously cheaper, which I believe you get what you pay for. Or should I just try and use what the dealer used last year and after winter is now lying on the ground. Of course I did think about tying tin cans and old shoes to drag around under the trailer for excitement! Anyway my first ever post turns into a Novel, sorry about that.

Thanks Al
Bamoou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:35 PM   #17

Florida
Hello Al. You may try two things. They have this underbelly tape and there is ERTERNABOND!

https://www.recpro.com/flex-mend-und...xoCuEwQAvD_BwE

from DICOR. But, know that Eternabond does live up to it's name but it is a pressure applied tape meaning that you put pressure on it to get the sealant to activate so it has to be some sort of solid surface to push against. BUT, once it's on, it's on forever!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:14 AM   #18

Illinois
Go buy a larger piece of chloroplast that will run from one support to the next and screw it through the existing piece, like a large patch.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:46 PM   #19

Texas
I just replaced 16' of my underbelly on my 37' TT. You can buy it by the foot from RecPro or Trekwood RV parts. Used #12 by 1" self tapping screws with fender washers to attach it to the frame. My underbelly is now in three sections for ease of maintenance when I need to get in there.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:57 AM   #20

Utah
Thanks everyone. I really like the eternabond idea but there is nothing to press against. I've had some pretty weird ideas but are not practical. I have laced it together with some tie wraps now I just have to coverup to gap.

Al

Bamoou is offline   Reply With Quote