Plastic Belly Plate Cracked - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > Forum Help | Announcements | Member Concerns
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-24-2019, 09:31 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sudbury
Posts: 13
Ontario
Plastic Belly Plate Cracked

I have a 2011 Dutchmen Kodiak 200QB. There is a black corrugated sheet of plastic, about 1/4" or 3/8" in thickness, that covers the entire underneath of the body. I noticed while winterizing that this sheet (I call it the belly plate) has cracked and separated slightly from side to side (width) from just behind the wheels. This allows both sides, where the crack runs, to hang lower. The gap is large enough to allow rodents to enter, I taped it up for the winter and will need to deal with it in the spring. Any ideas on how to fix a problem like that? Thanks
__________________

drchaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:15 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
CSCLARK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Sanger
Posts: 350
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaffe View Post
I have a 2011 Dutchmen Kodiak 200QB. There is a black corrugated sheet of plastic, about 1/4" or 3/8" in thickness, that covers the entire underneath of the body. I noticed while winterizing that this sheet (I call it the belly plate) has cracked and separated slightly from side to side (width) from just behind the wheels. This allows both sides, where the crack runs, to hang lower. The gap is large enough to allow rodents to enter, I taped it up for the winter and will need to deal with it in the spring. Any ideas on how to fix a problem like that? Thanks

Its called coroplast, same thing a lot of signs are made of. If it was me, I wouldn't worry too much about it and would just seal it up with 4" wide piece of Etrnabond tape. You should have some in your emergency toolbox anyways, lol.
__________________

__________________
Chris & Donna
2014 Voltage Epic 3990
2018 RAM 3500 Laramie Sport Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins, AISIN 4X4 DRW 4.10 Long Bed Dually
2004 Sportster 1200c, Cruzbike Silvio 2.1, Cannondale Trail 5, Rover!
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:18 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sudbury
Posts: 13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCLARK View Post
Its called coroplast, same thing a lot of signs are made of. If it was me, I wouldn't worry too much about it and would just seal it up with 4" wide piece of Etrnabond tape. You should have some in your emergency toolbox anyways, lol.
Hello Texas, Emergency Toolbox?? LOL. Thanks my friend, I'll check that tape out
drchaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:26 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
CSCLARK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Sanger
Posts: 350
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaffe View Post
Hello Texas, Emergency Toolbox?? LOL. Thanks my friend, I'll check that tape out
Just for you: EternaBond White Mobile Home RV Rubber Roof Repair 4" x 20' - 20 Foot, 20 Feet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AYPCJ9G..._X1Y2DbF2T44A4
__________________
Chris & Donna
2014 Voltage Epic 3990
2018 RAM 3500 Laramie Sport Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins, AISIN 4X4 DRW 4.10 Long Bed Dually
2004 Sportster 1200c, Cruzbike Silvio 2.1, Cannondale Trail 5, Rover!
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:22 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: tampa
Posts: 1,893
Florida
I would wonder why it's coming apart. CS is right, you should have some of that stuff in your emergency toolbox as well as that tape they show on TV to keep their boat from sinking when they saw it in half.
franktafl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 02:43 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
sundancer 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tahlequah
Posts: 2,865
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
I would wonder why it's coming apart. CS is right, you should have some of that stuff in your emergency toolbox as well as that tape they show on TV to keep their boat from sinking when they saw it in half.

You must not have seen the latest ad for the boat builder's products. He builds a clear boat but doesn't tape it together, he uses his special caulk to hold the parts solid.


Now dats sum caulk!
__________________
2013 Voltage 3800, 2012 Chevy 3500 HD
2010 Yamaha V Star 950
2009 Yamaha Raider
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 03:49 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
chily3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 415
California
Could try the 4 inch black gorilla tape.
__________________

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 05:54 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
ArmyVeteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Aiken
Posts: 645
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by chily3 View Post
Could try the 4 inch black gorilla tape.

I used the gorilla tape last year along the entire edge as a sealer and preventative. Still there. Keeping fingers crossed.



Along the front edge it was almost a necessity. The small gap was acting like a sail when on the road.....OOPS
__________________
"the older my father got the smarter I got"
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 10:50 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Elberta
Posts: 63
Alabama
Gorilla tape is useless on the underbelly cover. After a blowout that ripped all my wiring form the drivers side to curb side, I had to split the under belly to repair the wiring. I spilt it along the cross member so I could use washers and screws. I put gorilla tape to cover the new seam. After every trip I always had to replace the Gorilla tape. I cleaned the surface before taping, but it still didn't hold. I ended up putting a strip of plastic across the seam with a clear sealer E6000. Worries over.
__________________
1996 F350 7.3L Turbodiesel
Dually w Banks Powerpack
2012 Komfort 3130
Livin the Life
OldOneTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:24 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Green Valley
Posts: 53
Arizona
Gorilla tape

I'm a bit surprised your gorilla take doesn't hold. I bought the thick, black Gorilla tape and taped any and all areas under my rig on and around the coroplast that even remotely looked big enough for a rodent to get in. Then, taped over the bottom seam across the front of the rig. It's been on since September... And even Arizona heat doesn't affect it. I use Eternabond tape on my roof front cap seam and it's bulletproof as well. I keep both in my toolbox!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:56 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Elberta
Posts: 63
Alabama
Possibly even though we have high heat issues here the problem might be humidity being near the gulf of Mexico. I also used Eternabond on my roof front and rear seams. That is a good product.
__________________
1996 F350 7.3L Turbodiesel
Dually w Banks Powerpack
2012 Komfort 3130
Livin the Life
OldOneTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:59 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Idaho
Posts: 36
Idaho
Cut or drill holes on either side of the crack, and "sew" it up with zip ties. Cover the sutures with Eternabond.
Idcruiserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:30 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
ArmyVeteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Aiken
Posts: 645
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOneTwo View Post
Gorilla tape is useless on the underbelly cover. After a blowout that ripped all my wiring form the drivers side to curb side, I had to split the under belly to repair the wiring. I spilt it along the cross member so I could use washers and screws. I put gorilla tape to cover the new seam. After every trip I always had to replace the Gorilla tape. I cleaned the surface before taping, but it still didn't hold. I ended up putting a strip of plastic across the seam with a clear sealer E6000. Worries over.



Your mileage may vary
__________________
"the older my father got the smarter I got"
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 12:32 PM   #14
New Member
 
Craigmkd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Palm City
Posts: 6
Florida
After buying our 2018 233RBSL I was checking the whole rig over looking for issues and noticed the coroplast underbelly was only attached at the perimeter and was just flapping in the breeze in the middle. That bothered me so I purchased some roofing tek (self drilling) screws to attach it to the cross members better. You don't need a lot of fasteners and the cross members are easy to locate. You just have to be willing to move around on your back under the unit. Don't screw into your tanks.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Teks-12-x-1...4BBw&gclsrc=ds
Craigmkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:25 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sudbury
Posts: 13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idcruiserman View Post
Cut or drill holes on either side of the crack, and "sew" it up with zip ties. Cover the sutures with Eternabond.
That's a good idea. Thanks. I have very cold weather to deal with in the winter....sometimes -30celsius.
__________________

drchaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Popular Tags
#coleman 5th wheel 195qb 243 255bhsl kodiak 1700bh apsen trail 1700bh tv mount 1991 2018 atlas 3305 ac problem aerolite aerolite 282 dbhs. 2018 air bag air conditioning atwood awnins bathroom battery charging black tank btu caulk; gasket charger chassis coleman cub denali lights diagrams disconnect dutchman dutchman endurance 3006 dutchmen electrical electrical inverter electric conversion floor floor bounce flooring fuel station furnace generator gray water tank interior inverter kodiak cub landing gear lights bad ground switch lost panel motor owners manual panels propane pvc valve replacement roof brackets satellite hookup screws slide manual open solar specs needed structural fault switch thermarest aening tires voltage wall water heater water lines winterize wiring diagram
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Dutchmen RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×