Generator stops after 2 minutes of running - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2018, 03:04 AM   #1

Arizona
Generator stops after 2 minutes of running

Voltage 3970, Onan 5500 gen. Unit was sitting for 2 months since last time gen was used. Started gen, ran for 2 minutes the stopped. Waited for couple of minutes then started again. Stopped after 2 minutes. Changed spark plugs, fuel filter (3 times), new fuel pump, oil change. Even fed the fuel straight from a gas can. No changes. The only thing I have left is the carburetor.
I am not sure the carb is the issue. Seems to run just fine for the couple of minutes.
Any ideas? Maybe something to do with the generator taking on a load and having an issue? Trying to get answers before taking to the shop.

rsstangl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:43 PM   #2

Arizona
Generator stops after 2 minutes of running

Re-posted this to this thread hoping to get some response.
Voltage 3970, Onan 5500 gen. Unit was sitting for 2 months since last time gen was used. Started gen, ran for 2 minutes the stopped. Waited for couple of minutes then started again. Stopped after 2 minutes. Changed spark plugs, fuel filter (3 times), new fuel pump, oil change. Even fed the fuel straight from a gas can. No changes. The only thing I have left is the carburetor.
I am not sure the carb is the issue. Seems to run just fine for the couple of minutes.
Any ideas? Maybe something to do with the generator taking on a load and having an issue? Trying to get answers before taking to the shop.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:35 AM   #3

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsstangl View Post
Re-posted this to this thread hoping to get some response.
I would check the carb. Runs until it runs out of fuel. Probably a stuck needle valve Bowl fills up too slowly to keep running but fuel seeps into carb to fill bowl..look there!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:10 AM   #4

Louisiana
I had a very similar issue.

After the generator shuts down, is the Start/Stop switch light flashing? If so, press down (Stop) and take note of the flashing lights. It will flash a set number of times, pause, and flash a different set. (3 blinks, pause, 6 blinks = Fault code 36)

In my case, a chip on the controller board had blown. Surprisingly the generator still started up and ran, but would shut down after a few minutes.

Let us know what you find and I can try to help you remove the control board to check it out.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:41 AM   #5

Wisconsin
My portable Honda would run about an hour before stopping. It should run about 5 hours with a significant load.
The carb had red sediment in the float bowel. Cleaned carb, lines, and filter. Now it runs until there in no fuel left.
I now use fuel stabilizer in the gas. I was told long periods of not being used would cause problems. Now I believe.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:17 AM   #6

Florida
Sure sounds like your float/needle valve in your carb to me.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:10 AM   #7

Arizona
Thanks for the replies. I thought about the carburetor, just have not gotten into that yet. I will check on the carb this weekend. Yes, the light on the switch is blinking when it shuts down. The fault code is 36. Where is the control board located? The trailer is in storage not close to the house so I have to go on the weekends. I will look at the owners manual also to try to find the location.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:24 AM   #8

Michigan
I believe the control board is under the cover the switch is mounted to.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:20 PM   #9

South Carolina
Quote:

Never tried this with an ONAN, but. With a few other type of small motors.

When I have suspected dirty old gasoline/carburetor issues, I put in a LOT of Stabilt in the tank and run. Let sit. Run again. etc.

I guess in addition to preserving gas it has some "cleaning/unclogging properties. You might get lucky

Good luck.
Bill
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:55 PM   #10

Florida
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I thought about the carburetor, just have not gotten into that yet. I will check on the carb this weekend. Yes, the light on the switch is blinking when it shuts down. The fault code is 36. Where is the control board located? The trailer is in storage not close to the house so I have to go on the weekends. I will look at the owners manual also to try to find the location.
Code 36 means the engine stopped without a shutdown command from the control panel. This could be caused by a bad fuel pump, clogged filter, crimped fuel line, dirty carb, and on and on.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:17 PM   #11

Louisiana
Mine had a fault of 36 as well. Ended up being a blown chip on the controller board. To access it, you have to remove the switch housing first, then feel around for a few screws holding the controller board on. To get a better idea, look it up on YouTube.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:08 AM   #12

Arizona
Appreciate all of the information. I used Seafoam fuel treatment to try to clean the carb. I will check the float needle. I have read other threads that the control module is quite expensive. I am keeping my fingers crossed that is not the problem. I will send info later.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:27 AM   #13

Florida
Take air cleaner off spray carb cleaner into intake only try and start it. It should run for a few seconds if it's carb issues.
Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:49 PM   #14

Ohio
low battery

If your battery is low, the Onan 5500 will shut itself off. Even if you jump start, it wills start then turn off.
Leisure Solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:18 PM   #15

Pennsylvania
My problem was similar to yours. It ran for a 10 to 20 minute period the first startup. Shut off with the 36 code. On subsequent starts it would only run for about 1 or 2 minutes. Replaced pump, no dice. Noticed soft spot in fuel line between pump and carb and decided to replace with a piece of high pressure fuel injection hose. It runs now but still seems a bit off. I might look into the dirty or failing carb needle on the off season. I would really like to find a good explanation on the theory behind the springs and vacuum pot device associated with the carb.
nowucme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:24 AM   #16

Alberta
Leisure Solar has a good point. Happened to me too. Low battery and the Onan shuts off. Try charging battery for a while first, before you start ripping apart carb etc. Just might be your problem.
Moose111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:38 AM   #17

Ohio
I think the answer could be putting a pump back at the fuel tank. Here is a thread on that To see pics of my installation goto page 5 of this post
Old 11-08-2018, 02:25 AM   #18

Washington
Onan fuel

I had the exact same problem and that's how i solved it. Just like in the post mentioned above, I installed the same OEM Onan fuel pump at the fuel tank. Wired it to the generator fuel pump and have not had the problem again. The generator fuel pump has a tough time drawing from the supply tank on some RVs when the tank is at the back of the RV.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:35 PM   #19

North Carolina
As soon as it quits and will not restart pull a plug wire and test for spark. If you still have spark then it's a good bet that it's a fuel issue. Then test for fuel flow. For a carb the fuel pressure wont be very much but you need to verify that the fuel pump is working. It seems to me that a generator would run about two minutes on the fuel in the bowl. But, it could also be an issue in the ignition - two minutes is about how long it takes for something to get warm, break the circuit, no spark.. But, you'll need to test for these things to know where you're going.
falconbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:40 PM   #20

Colorado
Rsstangl,
I have a Voltage 3800 with, I'm sure, the same generator. Mine would do the same when the atmosphere was hot.

Added an electric fuel pump back at the tank, changed out the cheap fuel hose you can pinch shut with two fingers (put in real fuel hose) wired the second pump to the first.

Three years ago and not a single problem. I'm not real good at periodically running the generator. But it starts every time.

Just thoughts,

Pirate

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote