Back flushing - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2017, 02:14 PM   #1

Texas
Back flushing

What does it mean if black water comes out of the back flush hose when back flushing you black tank. Notice a small amount of black water but manage to turn of within seconds. New to Rving.

Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:21 PM   #2

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelon View Post
What does it mean if black water comes out of the back flush hose when back flushing you black tank. Notice a small amount of black water but manage to turn of within seconds. New to Rving.
doesn't make sense. You mean that black tank water is coming out of the black tank flush connection?

Is your tank full? I usually use a backflow preventer when I use my black tank flushing system (and a hose I will NEVER use for anything else).. Oh, and welcome by the way.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:47 PM   #3

Texas
Thanks for the weclome, i guess didn't say it right, when back flushing your black tank after being empty and the grey water had been flush also. Slight amount of dirty water came back tru the water hose connected to the back flush connedctor
Old 11-20-2017, 03:04 PM   #4

Florida
Quote:
Thanks for the weclome, i guess didn't say it right, when back flushing your black tank after being empty and the grey water had been flush also. Slight amount of dirty water came back tru the water hose connected to the back flush connedctor
When I disconnect the flush hose, I get a little "dribble" but because I put the backflow preventer on it, it doesn't get into the hose or the water system. BUT, the amount is insignificant AND a bit expected. IT should NOT be the same black as what you have been flushing. Keep in mind that all that is is a pipe with some holes in it I don't think it has any backflow type of protection (although it should).
Old 11-20-2017, 03:15 PM   #5

Texas
Thanks for the info, more at ease now, being new to all this is quite challenging and reading & viewing you tube videos and anything that can help, thanks
Old 11-20-2017, 03:21 PM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Thanks for the info, more at ease now, being new to all this is quite challenging and reading & viewing you tube videos and anything that can help, thanks
youtube and google are your friends. Just make sure you use a hose that will NOT be destined for water use other than the black tank. Always use a backflow preventer on the hose to keep black water from getting into the water system. the ones at WALMART are cheap but almost a one time use thing. Better to get a nice brass one from Amazon or somewhere. I use this one (and keep a spare). I also use one for my fresh water (city water) in addition to a good pressure regulator. I use a two way valve on the city water for my second hose applications.

https://www.amazon.com/Mueller-108-9...70_&dpSrc=srch

I like this one because of the large handles:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019MS0HK8...511194861&sr=1

I use this too...

https://www.amazon.com/2wayz-Upgrade...70_&dpSrc=srch
Old 12-19-2017, 11:32 AM   #7

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
youtube and google are your friends. Just make sure you use a hose that will NOT be destined for water use other than the black tank. Always use a backflow preventer on the hose to keep black water from getting into the water system. the ones at WALMART are cheap but almost a one time use thing. Better to get a nice brass one from Amazon or somewhere. I use this one (and keep a spare). I also use one for my fresh water (city water) in addition to a good pressure regulator. I use a two way valve on the city water for my second hose applications.

https://www.amazon.com/Mueller-108-9...70_&dpSrc=srch

I like this one because of the large handles:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019MS0HK8...511194861&sr=1

I use this too...

https://www.amazon.com/2wayz-Upgrade...70_&dpSrc=srch

Am I mistaken, don’t most newer campers already have a back flow preventer installed from factory?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stan the man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:23 PM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan the man View Post
Am I mistaken, don’t most newer campers already have a back flow preventer installed from factory?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don’t think so
Old 12-19-2017, 02:12 PM   #9

Oklahoma
As I understand it, the process of back flushing a tank requires that the tank be drained first. That means any remaining liquid is below the flush nozzles and below the back flow connection thereby removing of any chance of liquids entering the flush hose.
In addition, the forward motion of clear flush water entering the flush connection, nozzles and hose will have cleared any gray or black water in those components.

In the event the black flush connection is leaking one would discover that before the water hose is connected given the fact the connection is above the tank and therefore would then necessitate a dedicated black flush hose.

In other words, I don't subscribe to having a dedicated hose for back flushing.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:33 PM   #10

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Can you recommend a good toothpaste?
Old 12-19-2017, 04:47 PM   #11

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
As I understand it, the process of back flushing a tank requires that the tank be drained first. That means any remaining liquid is below the flush nozzles and below the back flow connection thereby removing of any chance of liquids entering the flush hose.
In addition, the forward motion of clear flush water entering the flush connection, nozzles and hose will have cleared any gray or black water in those components.

In the event the black flush connection is leaking one would discover that before the water hose is connected given the fact the connection is above the tank and therefore would then necessitate a dedicated black flush hose.

just to be on the safe side, I have a separate hose for this and a back flow preventer
Old 12-19-2017, 05:09 PM   #12

Tennessee
I stopped using the factory installed "flush ball" located at the top of the tank, all it does is lightly sprinkle water into the tank, it's ineffective for getting the tank really clean. I bought a Valterra Hydroflush my tank is a straight shot from the dump valve and this really gets the tank clean. Even though there's no chance of a back flush, I use a separate hose.