Upgraded to a 250-choose the right truck the 1st time. - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 02-29-2016, 09:57 PM   #1

Florida
Upgraded to a 250-choose the right truck the 1st time.

Hello,

My tale is important. While liking to believe a salesman both trailer and truck... they are all very optimistic and on paper everything looked ok for about 30 seconds. Ford F 150 while it can technically tow something heavier than itself, has gotten lighter and lighter with their aluminum frames, etc. The issue isn't whether it can pull it, sure it can with an Ecoboost all day long. Can it stop it? Can it stop the swaying and semis streaming past? Maybe, but it sure felt scary for us. The Ford dealership was very concerned about us as a new customer and let us trade ours in for a 250 without taking a bath. The difference between the feeling of F 150 and 250 is night and day. I didn't not even know there was a trailer behind the 250.

The hitch we are using is an equalizer. I have investigated many other options and still investigating. I don't care much for the noise of the equalizer but I think it does a good job.

If you are on the fence about what your half ton truck can really pull, be honest with yourself. Now haha, if I had only known we were getting a 250, I might have been looking at a fifth wheel. (ahhh the never ending RV vortex)

Denaligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:26 PM   #2

Wyoming
Precisely why I traded my F-250 for an F-450... got tired about worrying about, "what if I want something bigger next time?" Now I can shop for just about any rig I want.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:42 PM   #3

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denaligirl View Post
Hello,

The hitch we are using is an equalizer. I have investigated many other options and still investigating. I don't care much for the noise of the equalizer but I think it does a good job.
You know what, just learn the live with the noise of the equalizer. That's what I use, and I never have any sway problem. You can add these, it helps a little with the noise. http://www.amazon.com/Equal-i-zer-95...qualizer+hitch

The next step up on the hitch would be a Hensley or something like that. Lots of $$$.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote