Trouble!! Truck bed too high. Can't level 5th - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 09:15 PM   #1

Washington
Trouble!! Truck bed too high. Can't level 5th

Picked up the Voltage 3305 Tuesday. Have the Demco sliding hitch for shortbed. 5er has Lippert pin box. Front of 5er is too high. Have 7.5" between corner of truck bed rail and bottom of 5er. Changing pin box position wud put distance of 5er to truck rail under 6". So solution? Raise the trailer. I'm looking at adding blocks between the leaf springs & axles. Maybe 3 or 4 inches!! Am I missing anything??

Old 09-29-2016, 10:20 PM   #2

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostIntheNW View Post
Picked up the Voltage 3305 Tuesday. Have the Demco sliding hitch for shortbed. 5er has Lippert pin box. Front of 5er is too high. Have 7.5" between corner of truck bed rail and bottom of 5er. Changing pin box position wud put distance of 5er to truck rail under 6". So solution? Raise the trailer. I'm looking at adding blocks between the leaf springs & axles. Maybe 3 or 4 inches!! Am I missing anything??
If your towing with a Ford, check with them. Our Fleet Manager bpught a new F350 back in the nineties, he had the same problem. Now I can't tell you if it was his pull at the dealership or it was Ford policy to lower their trucks for customers towing 5ers. Doesn't cost anything to ask.

Personally I would sooner lower the truck, than raise the camper. There is already too much deflection in the trailer suspension, adding height will amplify the problem

We just had a member have to get a custom made spring hanger, I'm on that like white on rice come the spring. I've never liked how much the axles deflect, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

If it comes down to raising the camper raise it the minimum required, keeping in mind the dips and doodles your 5er will be doing on drivewayssudden grade and the like.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:54 AM   #3

Washington
Thx for the response. Seems I have 2 postings for the same thing. Don't kno how that happened. Gonna do Lipperts "Correct Track System" first. That will improve suspension & adds 2 " rise. Will see how much that helps. Thx again!!
Old 09-30-2016, 03:13 PM   #4

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostIntheNW View Post
Thx for the response. Seems I have 2 postings for the same thing. Don't kno how that happened. Gonna do Lipperts "Correct Track System" first. That will improve suspension & adds 2 " rise. Will see how much that helps. Thx again!!
I noticed that, I just picked the wrong thread to reply to.

A moderator will be around and close this thread down soon.

Your welcome, I like to pass on some of the knowledge that I have picked up along my journey through this life. Sometimes the simple answer is the one we over look or as I often do over think a problem.

I have had projects on hold for days, weeks, months and in one case close to a year and a half. I keep going over scenarios, like a one person brainstorming session. I've got this hang up about having to make my stuff better than it was before the problem arose.

The correct track is a good start and I thought of going to it for 2reasons both my axels were bent needing aligment and I wanted to gain a couple of inches for tire clearance, to allow for an upsized tire. I kept putting it of, because I had found a tire that wore like iron.

I finally had to do something to fix the broken shackle mount that happened somewhere in the last few hundred miles from home, back from Alaska. Never lost a tire due to it neither.

Get home, I stop at our Sani-dump and see the carnage. After thinking it over for a few days, I opted to just upgrade my axels to 6K.

After all is said and done new axels and disk brakes, I have it all back together and looking at the finished product I wasn't happy with the spring hangers. Then comes the sheared off hanger from another member. I really liked his custom made heavy duty hanger. I'll be doing that in the spring and ask for 1" rise for that extra tire clearance.

I can't remember if Correct track includes wet bolts, but if your going that route, I highly recommend doing the wet bolt kit at the same time. The kit includes heavy duty shackles, greasable bolts and bronze bushing.

Good luck.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Closed Thread