Trailer brake questions - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2015, 01:53 PM   #1

Colorado
Trailer brake questions

Hi all, we tow our Kodiak 240BHSL with a 2008 Land Rover LR3. I was able to find a "plug and play" brake controller for it here:
Electric Trailer Brake Controller Kit for LR3 and Range Rover Sport
The trouble is it's very "grabby" when I apply the brakes. If I have it adjusted for highway speeds then go through a town I have to really back it off (manually) or it's again grabbing hard.
My question is are there any alternatives to this unit? I get the sense through some of my reading that they make controllers that can tell how hard you are pressing on the brakes and match that to the trailer brakes. Is this true?
Any help is appreciated as my wife is sick of the jerky braking and I hate readjusting the brake force all the time!

rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:49 PM   #2

Montana
I have no idea what would make your Land Rover unique as far as plug and play ability. All inertia type controllers should work as you describe. Timer based ones do not.

Tekonsha Prodigy controllers are often recommended as the gold standard, that's what I have.
http://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-90885.../dp/B002YIACG8

Old 09-29-2015, 06:46 PM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
I will second the Prodigy. Current model is the P2. I have an earlier version works great once adjusted. I have used the same controller in 4 different vehicles with 6 different trailers. Each one had a short dial in time, but once set seldom needed any additional adjustment unless road conditions changed drastically. I don't know why it wouldn't work with the LR3.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:56 PM   #4

Pennsylvania
I had the same problem with my Prodigy P3, A good controller but needed adjusted for city grabbing, then back again for highway with my bumper pull. It was even more noticeable with the 5er. I decided to try the DirecLink controller (I still had my 08 Ram Cummins truck then). It was by far a superior brake controller. The smoothest and best braking I’ve ever experienced and on par with the pedal distance proportional on my 2014 Ram truck. It’s a bit pricey but worked fantastic. It connects to the same plug as the Prodigy and the OBDII port on the truck, easy install, that is if your Land Rover is OBDII. They offer a 60 day money back guarantee if you don’t like it. http://www.direclink.com/direclink.html

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:06 PM   #5

Tennessee
I would buy this in a second. I have the same controller and it works flawlessly once setup.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:46 AM   #6

British Columbia
Another satisfied Prodigy owner. I have to say I have never had problem with grabby brakes.

Loved it even more after I converted the trailer to electric over hydraulic dick brakes. Nice to be able to switch from electric to hydraulic brakes and use the same controller.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:27 AM   #7

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
i would buy this in a second. I have the same controller and it works flawlessly once setup.
^^^ x2!

I was going to install a MaxBrake as my father in law has one and it is amazing. Unfortunately, no longer available so I will happily stick with my Prodigy.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:30 PM   #8

Colorado
Thank you for the replies everyone. I'll be ordering the Prodigy!
Old 10-02-2015, 12:51 AM   #9

Indiana
I have had a few controllers from the analog pendulum style, digital pendulum, to the digital timer style, and the last and best one is by far the Direct link! It was easy to install and set up. I would buy another one of these in a second and never question it.

2013 Denali 311 bhs pos
Love the trailer, hate the dealer and manufacturer.
memgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:51 AM   #10

Colorado
I ended up going with the Tekonsha P3 from etrailer.com. Got the Land Rover LR3 wiring harness and it was plug and play! Gotta say, I was shocked that it was this easy. Nothing on a Land Rover is this easy Taking it out this weekend to try it out. Thanks again everyone for your help.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:05 AM   #11
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcharrette View Post
I ended up going with the Tekonsha P3 from etrailer.com. Got the Land Rover LR3 wiring harness and it was plug and play! Gotta say, I was shocked that it was this easy. Nothing on a Land Rover is this easy Taking it out this weekend to try it out. Thanks again everyone for your help.
Awesome! Hope it all works out for you. I have been using a Prodigy since 2000 and won't use anything else. FWIW I still have my original Prodigy electronic, it is in near daily use in one of our farm trucks.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:54 PM   #12

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcharrette View Post
We used that same model this year. After initial adjustment you'll forget it's there. Works perfectly!

High-Energy JRT (Jack Russell Terrier)
kalm_in_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote