Toyota Tundra - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2016, 02:29 AM   #1

Colorado
Toyota Tundra

Hi all, we currently tow our Kodiak 240BHSL (4800 LBS Dry weight) with a 2008 Land Rover LR3. One of the features I love on our Land Rover is the self leveling air suspension. Hook it up, the suspension sags a bit then it air's up and sit's perfect!
However with the Rover now approaching 160K and the cost of maintenance being a bit crazy on it we are looking for a new tow vehicle. Our top pick right now is a Tundra 4X4 crew cab to fit me, the wife and 2 kids. I know we are estimating loaded but let's say loaded (camper) we are 6000 LBS. That would put tongue weight at approx 600LBS. Would we need to get air bags installed on the Tundra or can the stock suspension handle that and ride level? Is that correct in estimating the tongue weight?
Thanks,
Randy

rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:04 AM   #2

Ohio
I currently have a Toyota Tundra 2008 Limited. It pulls my 8300 lb TT with no problem. My truck is rated for 10,600 tow weight. I don't use any airbags or anything special.

I love my Tundra, and it is a great choice. However, when you pick your model, look into the numbers. For example, 4x4 losses you about 1,000 lbs that you can tow.

MikeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:26 AM   #3

Tennessee
You're tongue weight will very likely pushing 750lbs+ I would assume that with a wdh, you should still be within specs and be fine. My mid sized Colorado has a 900lb max hitch weight and doesn't sag at all when towing(700lbs). You will closest to maxing your cargo capacity as you need to add the tongue weight with anything you haul in the bed and passengers. I try to keep my bed as empty as possible.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:06 PM   #4

Colorado
Thanks for the replies and answering my question. Sounds like air bags will no be necessary. We will be going 4X4 for sure as we are based out of the mountains in Colorado. The bed of the truck will be mainly for the pup and a few odds and ends.
rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:09 PM   #5

Montana
As mentioned, it is almost always the payload capacity that is maxed out long before you've reached the rated towing capacity in light duty trucks. But based on what I've heard, a newer Tundra will pull 6000 lbs around with no problem whatsoever. I think your tongue weight will be more like 900 lbs, I use the rule of thumb of 15% of TT weight for tongue weight. Use the trailer rather than the truck bed for hauling gear to minimize the cargo load on the truck.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:37 AM   #6

Idaho
I had a Chevy 1/2 ton and I had airbags put on when I bought it in 98 before I bought the trailer. They are worth the investment. I ran 30 lbs in them when towing. I think you would see a difference. You may not need them but they are nice to have.

I can remember hauling dirt and gravel without them and the rear went down, later with the airbags it didn't budge.
RickNTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:03 AM   #7

California
I haven't towed with my 2008 4x4 Sequoia 5.7L (which has the same base as the Tundra) but otherwise it has been very reliable, like other Toyotas we have had. It feels solid offroad, and is rated to tow 9K I believe, so you should be ok there. I would use weight distribution bars though. That will stabilize things a lot.
2015 Voltage 3800 w/ Epic IV, Int&Ext, Garage Pkgs; 8x100W Solar, 2x Xantrex C35 Charge Controllers, SW2000 Inverter & Monitor; 2005 Chevy Duramax Dually 3500 w/Banks; Kawi KFX700 & Polaris Scrambler 500 ATVs.
VCToyhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:14 AM   #8

Ohio
Also make sure that the one that you get has the tow package. The extra transmission and oil cooling is nice, so are the bigger mirrors and all the electrical already ran.

The 5.7L Crewmax 4x4 will pull anywhere from 9,100 - 9,800 depending on what package you get. The payload (tongue weight plus gas and everything else in the back) is 1,510-1,555. Gross Vehicle weight (basically your whole truck with people, dogs, and trailer attached) is 7,200 lbs.

So even loaded up you should be fine, I strongly recommend a weight distributing hitch to shift the weight back onto the trailer from your truck.

MikeF is offline   Reply With Quote