Towing/Weight Distribution - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #1

Tennessee
Towing/Weight Distribution

I just purchased a 2005 Classic from an individual (and its a beauty!) and will be pulling it with a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi. The truck seems to pull it fine but I am noticing that the trailer is not level when it is parked or going down the road which I assume it should be. The hitch has adjustment bolts to raise the trailer. Is the goal to have the weight distributed evenly on both axles? Or slightly more on the forward axle? The truck looks level. Perhaps too much torque on the sway bars? Not enough? (Rereading this I'm thinking I should leave this to the pros and go to a dealer?)

Thanks for your input!

Rick

Sailmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #2

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmaker View Post
(Rereading this I'm thinking I should leave this to the pros and go to a dealer?)

Thanks for your input!

Rick
That is not necessarily true - there are some really good instructional videos (you tube) that may help you more than a dealer. Our dealer set up ours, we towed it home (3 hours) and it was all over the place....when I called for more info I was told Oh didn't the tech tell you he could not level it he didn't have the right parts.....go figure!

Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #3

Tennessee
Poppy! Great to hear from you again! I researched and watched several videos. The previous owner had shown me a very tight setup with the weight distribution bars. It was extremely tight. I'm going to test several links in the chain and see how that changes the trailer. Also he handed me a sway control bar that he never used. I'll be installing that as well! Always good to hear from you! You are a great help to this beginner!
Old 07-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #4

New York
Sailmaker I had to bust your bubble - but this is Kathy a/k/a Nana - I'm the one who tells Poppy (Leo) how to fix things!
Old 07-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #5

Tennessee
Hi Kathy/Nana, my apologies!!! I did not mean any disrespect! I'll be heading to our church parking lot(not to many level places in east tennessee!) this weekend to level the trailer, take measurements, and set up the towing system. Thanks for steering me in the right direction! Safe travels!
Old 07-30-2013, 03:33 AM   #6

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmaker View Post
Hi Kathy/Nana, my apologies!!! I did not mean any disrespect!

No problems at all - everyone thinks I'm Poppy!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-30-2013, 03:44 AM   #7

Idaho
Yes you do want the trailer to sit level. It's more important for the trailer to be level than the truck. To do it right you shoul fill the fresh water tank and load the trailer like you would for a trip. Then hook up and connect your weight distribution bars. Adjust the height accordingly using the hitch adjustment holes. This should be done on level pavement.
Bulldog80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:04 AM   #8

Tennessee
Thanks Bulldog80! Headed to a level parking lot this weekend. Going to unhitch, level the trailer, measure trailer cup and front/back wheel wells on the truck, then adjust ball one inch above that measurement of the cup. Then hookup truck and trailer, attach the weight distribution bars, making sure their level then check the movement in the wheel wells and adjust accordingly.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #9

Idaho
That all sounds right, good luck. FYI, if you end up in kind a "tweener" spot, and can't get the trailer right at level, common belief is that it's better for the trailer to be a little nose high than nose down.
Bulldog80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog80 View Post
That all sounds right, good luck. FYI, if you end up in kind a "tweener" spot, and can't get the trailer right at level, common belief is that it's better for the trailer to be a little nose high than nose down.
I am pretty sure Nose High will make the trailer sway a little more. From my experience I always felt the trailer was easier towed with the nose a little down.. may depend on size of trailer, tow vehicle, etc!

Sebber83 is offline   Reply With Quote