Tow vehicle tire wear - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2015, 09:38 AM   #21

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Actually, no I haven't. I'm almost due for service & oil change, and was going to have them rotate them when I go in.
Check your rear center caps before you leave. I didn't think about it, I was three states away when I noticed both missing. The dealer said they were on when the truck left, so none of their concern... My he Powerstroke Forum said they will pop off if not installed correctly, though I suspect they were never installed. Going to cost me $200 to replace them...

To note, it only cost $115 for a breakdown, remount, and balance of all 6 tire/wheels. Not a bad price for a dealer IMO, but it is costing me $200 for the caps...can never win...

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:41 AM   #22

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
That's all I did on my rotation last winter and working well. Was too lazy to break the tires down in order to rotate and keep directionally correct.
I have the aluminum wheels, unsure I can flip them like that, I have not looked, after my last shoddy rotation, I will be doing it myself next time.

When you swapped them like that (fronts to inside rears) how did you check tire pressures, will a valve extender work for that application?

Cale

Old 09-14-2015, 11:04 AM   #23

Maryland
Don,

Forget my question...the valve stems would be the same as they are now....just to see if the aluminum rims are the same on each side.

Cale

Old 09-19-2015, 04:13 AM   #24

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by calewjohnson View Post
Don,

Forget my question...the valve stems would be the same as they are now....just to see if the aluminum rims are the same on each side.

Cale
Are those OEM wheels? I can't ever remeber a dually with aluminium wheels.

If they are stock the owners manual has got to tell you the tire rotation sequence.

Two reasons I didn't buy a dually, 1) didn't need one 2) tire rotation is too complicated.

Next question! How many folks rotate their camper tires?
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:40 AM   #25

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Are those OEM wheels? I can't ever remeber a dually with aluminium wheels.

If they are stock the owners manual has got to tell you the tire rotation sequence.

Two reasons I didn't buy a dually, 1) didn't need one 2) tire rotation is too complicated.

Next question! How many folks rotate their camper tires?
I take that back, of course I've seem thousands of aluminum wheeled Dualies.

I'm going to have to ask my buddy what he did on his KW.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:30 AM   #26

Illinois
Pretty sure I have aluminum wheels on the outside of my dual wheels and a plain steel one on the inside. Can't imagine Ford putting expensive aluminum wheel on where it can't be seen. Thinking if you want to rotate more than side to side, you'll have to break down the tire from the rim.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:12 AM   #27

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Pretty sure I have aluminum wheels on the outside of my dual wheels and a plain steel one on the inside. Can't imagine Ford putting expensive aluminum wheel on where it can't be seen. Thinking if you want to rotate more than side to side, you'll have to break down the tire from the rim.
Rusty
They were broken down, $115 at the dealer, not bad...but they did bugger up the rim changing the weights and I have since lost the center caps.... I may hop on the Powerstroke forum and by someone's factory take offs and work it where I can have all 6 wheels the same (if it works like that...).

Cale

Old 09-19-2015, 01:44 PM   #28

Illinois
Just went out and washed the truck. Steel on the inside and aluminum on the outside. $115 was a bargain. Bummer about messing up the rims and losing center caps though.
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote