Tow Mode or not???? - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2017, 10:34 PM   #21

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I am not sure that the 2008 Chevy has the "adaptive" transmission module.

Aaron
You would be correct. It doesn't adapt to anything.

These newer truck transmissions are pretty amazing, nothing like the old 4 speeds, hopefully it holds up. I have a Trifecta tune, they specialize in all things GM. They said the tow mode was so good on the Colorados, that they didn't even tweak it. It did make a big difference in "regular mode". They also have a feature where you can clear the TCM in a few minutes with a laptop, it will then relearn your driving habits from scratch.

Old 12-02-2017, 04:02 PM   #22

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
tow mode has higher shift points than the regular drive mode. It will maintain a gear until RPM reaches a comfortable level then shift. It downshifts to utilize engine braking where drive mode would not do that. it will hold 5th longer than I like so I usually take it out of tow mode so it will shift to 6th (sometimes but not always). The transmission and computer are supposed to be able to LEARN your driving habits (but I have NOT confirmed that). After an ECM reprogram I have heard that it starts all over again (learning).

https://www.yourmechanic.com/questio...rk-by-joshua-f

Here's the skinny on the transmission:
• Perpetually learning TCM logic adjusts transmission shift pressures and timing in order to provide smooth, positive shifts and compensate for differences in shift solenoid performance from transmission to transmission.
Aisin A466ND Transmission Specs & Ratios

This is a pretty cool write-up on the engine and truck...

5.0L Cummins V-8, Nissan Titan XD Specs
I have an '09 Silverado 2500HD with a 6.0L & 6-speed trans and the tow/haul feature. Would I be correct in assuming that in the "tow/haul mode" it will (for lack of a better word) mimic an engine brake when going down hill?

Cidco93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 04:45 PM   #23

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cidco93 View Post
I have an '09 Silverado 2500HD with a 6.0L & 6-speed trans and the tow/haul feature. Would I be correct in assuming that in the "tow/haul mode" it will (for lack of a better word) mimic an engine brake when going down hill?
Mine uses the engine for help in slowing down. not sure about yours. I do know that while in tow mode, the transmission acts differently than in standard drive mode and uses the engine to assist braking.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:44 PM   #24

Ohio
Quote:
Mine uses the engine for help in slowing down. not sure about yours. I do know that while in tow mode, the transmission acts differently than in standard drive mode and uses the engine to assist braking.
I have not traveled through any mountainous areas yet, and not having an engine brake, I don't know how my truck will react (pulling a 7000LB trailer) to those driving conditions. To date, my trips have been relatively flat lands with only little hills.
Cidco93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:35 PM   #25

South Carolina
Our first trip, after a 200 mile drive from the Dealer, is going to be 800 plus miles one way. From SC Into the depths of Arkansas.

I am expecting some possible "pucker" factor.

Performing all due diligence and PM this weekend.

Yehawww.
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:54 AM   #26

Tennessee
Quote:
I find TOW MODE works good for me but occasionally I make it shift into overdrive (take tow mode off) while on flat roads. tow mode downshifts really nicely when stopping and going downhill. I drive a '16 Nissan XD PR with the cummins engine and tow 12000 pounds.

I tow with my 2014 Titan. If I only had $50,000, I’d trade up to a 2017

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stan the man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:44 PM   #27

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan the man View Post
I tow with my 2014 Titan. If I only had $50,000, I’d trade up to a 2017

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
they are running some spectacular deals right now... end of year kinda stuff.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:53 AM   #28

Quebec
You should always use tow mode when pulling heavy loads. The rule of thumb should be when pulling over 75% of your allowed tow capacity, it should be used. Below it’s optional, but recommended.

It is there to protect both the engine and transmission and optimise performance.

Tow mode serves two main purpose. It keeps your engine revokution higher and prevents shifting slippage by tightening the grip.

Many people get concerned when they see engine reving high, but it’s actually a good thing. Lubrication is life and death in engines. Increasing rpm helps with maintaining proper engine and transmission lubrication and coolling. Putting load on engine at low RPM can damage it, pure and simple.

Hard shifting is also a good thing when pulling hard, you dont want that transmission to slip.

Technically you would need a much thicker oil when putting load at low RPM. Since it’s not feasible to change you engine oil before going up a grade, you rev engine higher. It’s safer for the engine, it helps maintain the proper oil sheer (the actual oil film protection on the parts).
HudsonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:58 AM   #29

Quebec
It will use the engine resistance to slow down by downgrading the speeds. Compared to an engine brake it will have minimal effect on slowing you down. But it doesnt hurt.

Tow mode really is to manage engine RPM and transmission pressure under load conditions.
2017 Softail Slim S (FLSS)
HudsonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:08 PM   #30
Site Team

North Carolina
Depending on the age and model of the vehicle makes a huge difference in what exactly Tow Mode does. On my '03 F150 it mainly moves shift points further up the RPM band, no noticable difference on down shifts. On my '16 E-450 chassis it will actually set and lock into lower gears to provide engine braking, come in handy on long down hills.

Aaron [emoji41]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:34 AM   #31

Arizona
I use tow / haul mode while I'm in 3rd gear. Seems to handle better and slightly better mpg. Down shift to control decent and only braking when necessary. 05 Cadillac Escalade ESV and 5,000lbs 255bhsl travel trailer throughout Arizona mountains.

The Epic RV Adventures of the Karlin Family
www.campfireshenanigans.com
skarlin1976 is offline   Reply With Quote