Tire / Rim Upgrade - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2018, 05:40 PM   #1

New York
Tire / Rim Upgrade

Hi Everyone -- I have 2015 Coleman 16FB TT. I want to replace the tires in the spring with Good Endurance. Since it currently has 14" wheels on it, would it make any sense to upgrade to a 15" wheel? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

KJ-Long Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:12 PM   #2

Florida
Good choice on the tire.

franktafl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:06 PM   #3

yes
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:16 PM   #4

Illinois
There are a few people on this forum who are real tire experts, but from what I was told, a larger tire will run a bit cooler, reducing blow out risk and for some reason, may increase the smoothness of the ride (?). I would imagine they would last longer as well since the go around a few percent less per mile. Just what I've been told.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:32 PM   #5

Maryland
Here is a short breakdown for you to consider.

1 Your trailer weight is quite low so the need for "extreme" tires is really not there. I am the first one in line for "get better tires on it ASAP" though. Getting a larger rim may help in your choice of available tires to choose from when buying new ones though. If your tire of choice is available in your current rim size then I see no reason to change the rim size. It will only add unnecessary expense.

A larger diameter tire may decrease rolling resistance somewhat but at what cost? increasing your tire diameter will also raise the trailer higher off the ground increasing wind resistance. Win or loss? Time and fuel bills will tell.

Matt
mattchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:26 PM   #6

Florida
This was my first camping experience on my new tires. I must admit, it added a bit more stabilization to the RV while parked.

A couple of notes.

The Goodyear tires I used to replace my china bombs are the same specification size as the china bombs, BUT they are not physically the same size. They are quite a bit larger than the original tires and wider so I would take a minute to actually compare the physical characteristics of the tires you are about to replace. The endurace tires inflated to 80 PSI where the bombs were at 65 PSI. The sidewalls on the new tires are quite a bit more rigid giving less flex (and bounce) while I had the RV parked.

One note. We went to the East Tenn RV show and while I was there, I looked at the tires they had installed on them. Most of the "less expensive" RV's had the china bombs while ALL of the "upgraded" RV's had goodyears or equiv.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:59 AM   #7

New York
Thanks for advice...and looks like I going to just replace with the current size and get Goodyear Endurance on the camper.
KJ-Long Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:14 AM   #8

British Columbia
Exclamation

Anyone look at the Carlisle Radial trail HD with load range D for travel trailer?
Aspen2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:51 AM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspen2017 View Post
Anyone look at the Carlisle Radial trail HD with load range D for travel trailer?
go to tirerack and look them up!

https://www.tirerack.com/content/tir.../homepage.html

by the way, this is what they are saying about these...

Our biggest issue with this tire is the reports from some owners of load range C models having tire failures on the highway. It’s a common problem with most any trailer tire, but we want to point it out.