Thoughts on Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam WDH? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2014, 03:43 PM   #1

Ontario
Thoughts on Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam WDH?

Any thoughts on the Reese Strait-Line hitches with the dual cams? I have also seen these Equal-i-zer hitch and they seem much easier to set up almost like a plug and play. Are the reese tricky to get balanced, is it different eveytime i hook up? There is an overwhelming amount of information on direct comparison between the Dual Cam and the other weight distribution hitch.

I would like to hear from you all on your personal experiences on these hitches, as you all have been so helpful so far.

E.Fudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:26 PM   #2

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Fudd View Post
Any thoughts on the Reese Strait-Line hitches with the dual cams? I have also seen these Equal-i-zer hitch and they seem much easier to set up almost like a plug and play. Are the reese tricky to get balanced, is it different eveytime i hook up? There is an overwhelming amount of information on direct comparison between the Dual Cam and the other weight distribution hitch.

I would like to hear from you all on your personal experiences on these hitches, as you all have been so helpful so far.
I towed with a Reese Straight Line WDH that had the anti sway cams for five years. At first with an F150 towing a 26ft bunkhouse and then moved it over to a 32ft bunkhouse pulled by an F250.

In West Texas, in addition to the semi's passing @ 75+ MPH, it's not unusual to have 30 to 50 MPH crosswinds. I was very happy with the Reese hitch in these extreme conditions.

The only two issues I had...
the cams made a lot of popping noise when turning,
and I bent one of the lift brackets setting the chain too tight with a cheater bar. I was able to buy a new bolt on bracket and after I backed off a link on the chains I didn't have that problem.

I did add airbags to the F250 to help with a slight sag...
the 32ft TT was 9,000 lbs wet and I could not get the hitch set up to level out completely.

If I ever bought another travel trailer I would definitely get another Reese Straight Line WDH.

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:37 AM   #3

Missouri
I cant speak for the Reese Hitch since I have not used one. I use the equalizer hitch and am very pleased with mine. I never have sway with mine and the weight distribution works great. The only draw back that I have is that it makes a lot of noise when you turn. I all ways get a kick out of the looks I get when driving through a camp site. A little note, check out Amazon for pricing on your what ever hitch you decide. I got the equalizer for more then $250 cheaper then my dealer.

Here is a thread from my research.

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...rson-1390.html

Good luck, and just think.... another fun decision that has to be made!!!

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:26 PM   #4

Ontario
Great thanks guys, nothing like me scratching my head even more!
How about set up? Do I set them up once and go, or do I make adjust every time i hook up to the truck?
I was also looking at airbags, was told the truck likes to sag having coil springs instead of leaf springs.
Do I blow up the airbags before or after setting up the W/D hitch?

Thanks again all
E.Fudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:15 PM   #5

New Jersey
We had the Reese Dual Cam HP sway control system. I used it for 9 years with a Fleetwood Terry 32 1/2' travel trailer behind an F250. Towed from NJ to FL twice a year, and from NJ up through Maine. Worked like a charm, and we were very happy with it.

Assuming your trailer weight does not change by much, you set it up the first time to get the trailer and truck level. After that, you put the same chain link in. I always used link #6 (5 free links).
Old 09-14-2014, 08:53 PM   #6

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Fudd View Post
Great thanks guys, nothing like me scratching my head even more!
How about set up? Do I set them up once and go, or do I make adjust every time i hook up to the truck?
I was also looking at airbags, was told the truck likes to sag having coil springs instead of leaf springs.
Do I blow up the airbags before or after setting up the W/D hitch?

Thanks again all
I don't use air bags, and I suggest you get your hitch and set it up to see if you even need the air bags. Just remember, that having air bags will raise the sagging rear end, but it doesn't actually increase the payload or towing capacity of your vehicle. From what I understand, you will get a better ride and handling with them, but like I said, I felt my truck didn't need them, nor could I justify the cost.

My equalizer hitch is set up once and it sounds like the Reese hitch is as well.

The one thing that I would also recommend is that you get a power jack, (Some trailers come with them some don't.) without it, there would be a lot of hand cranking to hook up the hitch. And that doesn't matter what hitch you get.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:39 PM   #7

Minnesota
Hello E.Fudd,
I used the Reese system without the cams for 10 years and then added the cams when I got my 289RK Denali trailer. The Denali had much more sway problems than my old 26 footer but the cams work great and I have had no "scary moments" in two years with the Denali.

The cams do hang down quite low and a couple times when I wanted to move the trailer without the WD bars I had to hitch up the chain hangers to get the cams away from the road. That is a nuisance but seldom happens.

I have notice quite a bit of wear (flat spots) on the cams and I can see they probably won't last as long as I would like. It is a metal to metal contact so usually that does create a galling situation on one or the other parts. The bars and the cams are cast, not sure if they are steel or iron?

I am very happy with the Reese system. Maybe try the WD hitch without the cams and add them if you feel you have sway problems. That was what I did.

Louie

Louie is offline   Reply With Quote