Spring bar confusion - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2016, 06:03 PM   #1

Illinois
Spring bar confusion

Hi have a Husky 314xx WDH, the bars are labeled 800 pounds. Now my confusion is, are these the 501-800 bars, or the 801-1200 bars? The hitch is 16+ years old, so not sure if the rating of the bars changed during that time, or if they have remained the same, but I do need heavier bars between 801-1200# for my trailer, and not sure if these are the correct ones.

acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:42 PM   #2

Arizona
I would be surprised if the weight rating was anything other than the maximum allowable. If you need 1200# bars it is time to shop.
RichH

Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:16 AM   #3

Illinois
Yeah, I asked Husky and just got a response, they are the 501-800 bars, so looks like I need the next size up. They should stabilize it even more, maybe even reduce the oscillations I felt last time out, though I feel the truck really needs new shocks @42K miles. I can feel some wheel hop over bumps.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:32 AM   #4

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
Yeah, I asked Husky and just got a response, they are the 501-800 bars, so looks like I need the next size up. They should stabilize it even more, maybe even reduce the oscillations I felt last time out, though I feel the truck really needs new shocks @42K miles. I can feel some wheel hop over bumps.
You want to be careful, using too big a bar can be just as bad.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:16 PM   #5

Illinois
I need the 801-1200# bars, my TW is roughly 940#, well above my current bars, which explains a lot, the bars are bending up at the end with 6 links, so going to order a pair of the correct bars. The existing ones are for my horse trailer, which has a lighter TW of under 600# loaded. The TT is only 600# heavier GVWR though, so must be the balance point on the HT is much further forward.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:10 PM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
I need the 801-1200# bars, my TW is roughly 940#, well above my current bars, which explains a lot, the bars are bending up at the end with 6 links, so going to order a pair of the correct bars. The existing ones are for my horse trailer, which has a lighter TW of under 600# loaded. The TT is only 600# heavier GVWR though, so must be the balance point on the HT is much further forward.
Interesting numbers you have there. You must have had them puppies on the last link in the chain. I had a similar situation, thinking I needed to go to bigger bars, but once I got stuff arranged in our new camper and weighed it I found the lighter bars transfered enough weight to the front axle.

The floor plan we have now has all of the heavy stuff right over the axles vs our old Airstream that had all the heavy stuff well ahead of the axles.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:09 PM   #7

Illinois
I have 6 links on them, and they are almost parallel with the frame, but have a noticeable curve at the end. I checked with both etrailer and Husky and both recommend going to the 800-1200# bars. If I go 5 links then they are pointing at the frame. As they sit now they transfer 180# forward. I think the heavier bars will make for a steadier ride than I have now. When I go over a whoopdedo in the road I get porpoising in the rig. Everything else checks out, good drop on the front and rear axle, very little sway when a truck goes by, more of a push than a sway. Stiffer springs should allow me to push a little more weight fore and aft and stiffen the ride between the two, its a little soft. If they are too heavy a spring, can always switch back.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:51 PM   #8

British Columbia
For sure you won't be going 6 links up on the chain with the bigger bars.

Our set up has a sweet spot and if I push too much weight to the front axle, it starts to feel like a lumber truck.