slider gone wrong! help - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2014, 01:23 AM   #1

California
slider gone wrong! help

Hello all. Can anyone tell me how to fix a slide out that only slides out partially, then only one side while the other is stuck in place. It's a 2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 300 bhsl. It has 3 sliders 1 on one side 2 on the other. It's the bunk room slider that doesn't work. Not sure what kind of slider it is if electrical, hydraulics or what. There's no place visible for a hand crank & I'm not sure where the manual over ride is. Please help, were going camping this weekend, of course the dealer can't fix it till Sept. 5. Any suggestions short of me banging this slider with a hammer (i thought about it, its frustrating!) would be greatly appreciated

HappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:00 AM   #2

New Mexico
I wish I was more familiar with your trailer and could help. If it was a hydraulic landing gear I'd be all over it. Hopefully someone will chime in soon so your weekend is intact. If its the Schwintek (sp) system look for aluminum 'S' channels on the top and bottom of the slide. If you have just one slide button its probably hydraulic and there should be an override to do it manually (at least I remember something like that). My unit has two Schwintek slides up front each with its own switch and a third switch for the other three slides and it does take time to bring them in and out as the pressure builds, Ive never had to use a fix action for the slides even though one stuck out and didn't seal (until repaired)

Maybe this is a start? I assume yours is a Lippert system.

72mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:05 AM   #3

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72mach View Post
I wish I was more familiar with your trailer and could help. If it was a hydraulic landing gear I'd be all over it. Hopefully someone will chime in soon so your weekend is intact. If its the Schwintek (sp) system look for aluminum 'S' channels on the top and bottom of the slide. If you have just one slide button its probably hydraulic and there should be an override to do it manually (at least I remember something like that). My unit has two Schwintek slides up front each with its own switch and a third switch for the other three slides and it does take time to bring them in and out as the pressure builds, Ive never had to use a fix action for the slides even though one stuck out and didn't seal (until repaired)

Yes there are those "S" looking tracks on the sliders top & bottom part on both slides of each slider. Is there an easy fix for this to manually bring it in and out? Thank you for your reply 72mach!
Old 08-28-2014, 02:14 AM   #4

Washington
Let's give it a shot. It would help to know a little about the slide. I'm going to assume it's Schwintek as that's the one that seems to cause the most trouble. If you look on the outside of the slide it will have 2 rails or tracks on the front wall and back wall of the slide. You can try and assist the slide by pushing out on the side that sticks while activating the mechanism. Be advised if you get it out you may have to help it back in and that could be another problem. Try that and let us know.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:18 AM   #5

California
I found the answer on you tube. Thanks 72mach!
Old 08-28-2014, 02:20 AM   #6

California
Hi Jeff, yes we were able to bring it in by helping to push it some. I was able to find the video to remove/check motor wiring on youtube. It's a pain in the neck but it seems to work. Thanks again
Old 08-28-2014, 02:22 AM   #7

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCampers View Post
Yes there are those "S" looking tracks on the sliders top & bottom part on both slides of each slider. Is there an easy fix for this to manually bring it in and out? Thank you for your reply 72mach!
Ok, I see you've identified the slide as Schwintek. The only "manual" way to release these is to disconnect the wire connector at the slide controller. Don't know your particular trailer but the controller will probably be somewhere around the battery. It will have the name Lippert on it. By unplugging the controller you release the "brake" on the slide motors, but this only works if the problem is in the motor. There are other problems the Schwintek system has and it sounds like you may have one of them.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:53 AM   #8

New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCampers View Post
I found the answer on you tube. Thanks 72mach!

This is a great forum so we all work together and people like Sawpilot and a ton of others make it happen. It still stinks you had problems but if you are on the road for a great weekend, godspeed!
Old 08-28-2014, 05:30 AM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
This is a great forum so we all work together and people like Sawpilot and a ton of others make it happen. It still stinks you had problems but if you are on the road for a great weekend, godspeed!
Too bad we can't get the same support for the manufacturer.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:38 AM   #10

New York
can U-tube video???
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:56 AM   #11

New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post

Isn't that the truth. Honestly I feel like I bought a house in 'Love Canal' and have no way of remedying the situation. The sad thing is we like the overall trailer but the continuous and persistent defects from a trailer now out of warranty without the manufacturer taking responsibility for the defects is just asinine.

Back up the product when there are known issues, we are not talking about cabinets nor window knobs (although I could) but serious stuff like the AC, landing gear, slides or the front cap paint. Stuff that regardless should be taken care of outside of the limited 1 year warranty or if another company bought out the original builder. Just show some ethical business practices because I guarantee you that we as a community have caused them to lose money by loss of sales which easily outweighs the warranty costs.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:03 AM   #12

Washington
Quote:
Isn't that the truth. Honestly I feel like I bought a house in 'Love Canal' and have no way of remedying the situation. The sad thing is we like the overall trailer but the continuous and persistent defects from a trailer now out of warranty without the manufacturer taking responsibility for the defects is just asinine.

Back up the product when there are known issues, we are not talking about cabinets nor window knobs (although I could) but serious stuff like the AC, landing gear, slides or the front cap paint. Stuff that regardless should be taken care of outside of the limited 1 year warranty or if another company bought out the original builder. Just show some ethical business practices because I guarantee you that we as a community have caused them to lose money by loss of sales which easily outweighs the warranty costs.
Well said. Think what we could do for them as satisfied customers.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:00 AM   #13

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawpilot View Post
Well said. Think what we could do for them as satisfied customers.
I'm actually going to quote myself! I've gone to several RV shows and talked to potential customers when I've seen them talking to Dutchmen. I tell them about the forum and about the customer service after the sale. Don't know if it's done any good but it sure makes me feel good.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:20 AM   #14

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawpilot View Post
I'm actually going to quote myself! I've gone to several RV shows and talked to potential customers when I've seen them talking to Dutchmen. I tell them about the forum and about the customer service after the sale. Don't know if it's done any good but it sure makes me feel good.
Like I told the manager of furniture store back when my son was in the 12th grade, after being put on hold for 45 minutes not once but twice, "you either come and pick this piece of s!() up and fix it on my schedule, or I will be bringing it back and it will be going through your front window. I bought it here I tried your way through your service department that didn't work, so your going to fix it here. Your choice, don't look after me and you get lots of free advertising, all negative.

Next day I get a phone call from the manager asking me if they could pick up the piece the next day at 1:00 PM, I said I'll be home from work at 5:30 you can pick it up then. Must say I was impressed at the punctualness of the driver. He was there 5:30 on the dot.

My son happened to be with me that day, I had picked him up from school that day on my bike. He still thanks me from time to time for the life lesson. He has become a ruthless negotiator in every purchase he makes. That's my boy.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:47 PM   #15

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Totally agree with you there, I get more info from looking on here, and other places on the internet.
Wakeisland53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:57 PM   #16

Oklahoma
Here's the conclusion I've reached. When I get my 3800 back from the second slide repair I'm sure I'll have the door closed on me concerning any further assistance with a future slide problem. I'm also sure I'll have another problem with the slide.

Since I'm fulltime and do travel with Habitat for Humanity I've decided to buy an acre of land here in Oklahoma and just park the POS and live in it until it's time move into the Old Soldier's Home. No more travel unless I find something just to sleep in and carry a few tools. I trust this Voltage 3800 about as much as the government and Dutchman.

It's a crying shame a person spends this kind of money with the intention of doing what I had planned and then get shot down by piss poor craftmanship and a lack of quality control.

I wanted to lend a hand to those that need it and now my plans are dashed because some worthless company can't build an almost reliable product.

Advertising from me, you bet, stay away from a Dutchman product with a ****tek slide system in it. Don't matter if it's a TT or Class A.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
partial, slider, stuck