Reese Elite Slider - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #1

California
Reese Elite Slider

Okay I have been looking for information on this, specifically using it in a Ford factory prep short bed. Anybody have experience? I haven't picked it up yet, but I'm committed. I hear it is easy in/out of the truck, good. I saw someone saying it may not slide unless you lower the landers, yikes! I know there are other brands that are starting to use the factory prep, but they attach at one point, the gooseneck, right. Isn't it always better to have more points of attachement?

Jlew127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:24 AM   #2

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlew127 View Post
Okay I have been looking for information on this, specifically using it in a Ford factory prep short bed. Anybody have experience? I haven't picked it up yet, but I'm committed. I hear it is easy in/out of the truck, good. I saw someone saying it may not slide unless you lower the landers, yikes! I know there are other brands that are starting to use the factory prep, but they attach at one point, the gooseneck, right. Isn't it always better to have more points of attachement?
I have a 2011 F-250 short bed. I went with an automatic slide in the event that I forgot that I had to manually extend the slide in sharp turns.
If your good at remembering things then you may not have a problem with a manual slide.

All 5th wheel hitches, no matter what brand, are attached to the truck in four places. A gooseneck hitch has nothing to do with a 5th wheel. Usually, campers will have 5th wheels and horse trailers will have goosenecks. So, they just use the ball mounted in the center of the bed.

Good luck on your decision.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #3

California
Update. Picked up the 5'er and dragged it home and it was awesome. The F-250 pulled it without a problem and the weight in the bed seemed just right, only set down a couple inches. No porpoising or bouncing on the freeway, didn't know it was there. As far as the Reese, it looks good and is easy to work, once I figured out the knuckleheads at the dealer didn't connect all the rods, double check! I didn't need the slider till I got to my house where I knew a turnaround might jack knife. I stopped, set the brake, released the mechanism, held the trailer brake, and pulled forward slowly until it locked, got out and locked it and made my turn. I can handle that much responsibility.
Jlew127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #4

Michigan
We had a F350 CC Dually with 6 1/2' bed before this Chevy and I had the Reese Manual Slider in it. Pulled a 36' Travel Supreme with that truck and one time I forgot to slide the plate forward when I got on the road. After that I just left it to the rear as it pulled just as well at the rear.
Two Harleys
Aronious is offline   Reply With Quote