Ram 2500 Tradesman review - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2015, 01:24 PM   #1

South Carolina
Post Ram 2500 Tradesman review

In anticipation of my retirement and subsequent full timing, SWMBO decided that we would buy a new truck in June. We traded in a 2004 Chevy K1500 Silverado for a Ram 2500 Tradesman as we are anticipating moving up from a pull behind to a 5er. This gives us a weight range and bed size to look at before the next big item of purchasing the 5er and hitch package. The Ram does have the bed holes in place for an easy installed hitch.

Well, we just completed our first tow with our new truck. Very happy with this when compared to our previous truck. Here's the low down:
  • Despite being a heavier vehicle with a larger engine, the Ram actually has better fuel economy during my daily commute due to it's ECO-boost feature. My daily commute is 60 miles one way and does have a 25 mile freeway stretch. I ma currently averaging >18 mpg while before I was averaging 16 mpg.
  • The Chevy had a towing capacity of about 9900, the Ram has a towing capacity of 15600. Our Kodiak likely averages near 7000. While I did need the towing/hauling mode in the Chevy just to get out of my yard, I did not need to use it in the Ram. Fuel economy during towing was about the same.
  • The two trucks are about the same exterior width but the Ram seems to have more interior width.
  • The Ram does sit 4 inches higher than the Chevy, so I had to adjust my towing ball to accommodate.
  • The Ram now has the towing mirrors while the Chevy never did. So now I merely rotate the mirrors to towing position and make the adjustment versus adding towing mirrors to extend the stock Chevy mirrors. This makes SWMBO happier as she does not have to move her mirror nor hear my complaints about the add-on mirrors.
Compared to the daily commute, while towing at 60 MPH, the transmission temp. did increase by 10*F. Tire pressures also increased with the Kodiak attached and the weight distribution connected. All other dash indications were normal. Our trip was a weekend round trip from Orangeburg SC to Richmond Hill, GA.
Mole is offline   Reply With Quote