Ram 2500 6.4L - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2019, 03:17 PM   #1

North Carolina
Ram 2500 6.4L

I am looking at buying a 2014 Ram 2500 with a 6.4L in it. I would love to get a diesel, but can not justify the cost. I have other cars that I will be using o a daily basis. I will only be using this truck for vacation.

I would like to know if anyone has experience towing with this truck. I will be towing a 2016 291RESL 6800lbs dry. Probably actually pulling 7500 lbs. I am currently pulling with an 02 Escalde that has a 6.0L in it. It does alright but it is at it upper limits and it really needs more gears to be a good TV.

My other question is how many miles it too many to be reliable? I can get a really good deal on the truck, but it has 140k on it. Would you think this is too many miles to use as a TV. I will only be putting a max of 3k/year after I get it.

captainmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:23 PM   #2

Tennessee
I can't speak for that particular engine but my 2016 Colorado has 140k on it and i've put a whopping $40 into it besides routine maintenance. My last V-8 went over 600k. If they have taken care of the truck, I wouldn't sweat the mileage.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:11 PM   #3

Florida
Ram 2500 6.4L

I wouldn't worry so much with the milge on the engine, but MY understanding the transmission is the "weaker link" on Dodge. Talk with the seller if a private owner and split the cost of a in depth inspection by a good transmission company. If dealership warrantee! BTW I have little faith in AAMCO for tranny!
davesullivansr@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:04 PM   #4

California
I would say in some ways you are safer buying a used gasser vs a diesel because at the mileage there can be costly maintenance on a diesel, first and foremost injectors which can run $400-$600 each and there are either 6 or 8 depending on Cummins in-line 6 or the v8’s. Injection pump is pricey too and goes at that mileage. You could replace your entire gas engine with a new long block for less than that. If I were you and towing the weight range you were considering and as infrequently as you plan to tow I would go with the gasser. The mileage would not scare me, the truck will be lighter, it will be easier in cold weather, maintenance and repairs will be less expensive and easier to get done and most importantly, you will save a ton on all your work.

The only real downside I can see is fuel mileage will be much worse which means depending on fuel prices you will spend either a little or a lot more in fuel and you will be stopping more frequently. But, you will still be way ahead on total cost.

I thought I was smart and bought a used diesel because I was told the engines go forever but I had to replace the injectors and that was $4k on my Duramax. I am now much wiser! Then after getting an even heavier trailer (my current Voltage). Unfortunately, with a 13k lb. dry trailer I don’t have a choice but you do.

One other thought—if you might be going with a bigger trailer down the road it is a different situation and you might consider the diesel.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:08 PM   #5

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmorgan View Post
I am looking at buying a 2014 Ram 2500 with a 6.4L in it. I would love to get a diesel, but can not justify the cost. I have other cars that I will be using o a daily basis. I will only be using this truck for vacation.

I would like to know if anyone has experience towing with this truck. I will be towing a 2016 291RESL 6800lbs dry. Probably actually pulling 7500 lbs. I am currently pulling with an 02 Escalde that has a 6.0L in it. It does alright but it is at it upper limits and it really needs more gears to be a good TV.

My other question is how many miles it too many to be reliable? I can get a really good deal on the truck, but it has 140k on it. Would you think this is too many miles to use as a TV. I will only be putting a max of 3k/year after I get it.
Can’t speak for the high mileage but I did tow a light 5th wheel with a 2016 Ram 2500 5.7, probably 8,500lbs loaded and it handled the load well for the most part but if we hit a steep hill, it struggled. Read good things about the 6.4L but i think most gassers are going to struggle a little bit with hilly terrain. I did have a 6500lb TT before the 5th wheel and the results were about the same, struggled a lil bit on hills but got the job done
PRKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:11 PM   #6

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsol View Post
I would say in some ways you are safer buying a used gasser vs a diesel because at the mileage there can be costly maintenance on a diesel, first and foremost injectors which can run $400-$600 each and there are either 6 or 8 depending on Cummins in-line 6 or the v8’s. Injection pump is pricey too and goes at that mileage. You could replace your entire gas engine with a new long block for less than that. If I were you and towing the weight range you were considering and as infrequently as you plan to tow I would go with the gasser. The mileage would not scare me, the truck will be lighter, it will be easier in cold weather, maintenance and repairs will be less expensive and easier to get done and most importantly, you will save a ton on all your work.

The only real downside I can see is fuel mileage will be much worse which means depending on fuel prices you will spend either a little or a lot more in fuel and you will be stopping more frequently. But, you will still be way ahead on total cost.

I thought I was smart and bought a used diesel because I was told the engines go forever but I had to replace the injectors and that was $4k on my Duramax. I am now much wiser! Then after getting an even heavier trailer (my current Voltage). Unfortunately, with a 13k lb. dry trailer I don’t have a choice but you do.

One other thought—if you might be going with a bigger trailer down the road it is a different situation and you might consider the diesel.
What year Duramax and mileage on the fuel injector replacement? Got what I thought was a good deal on a 2012 Chevy 2500HD, only 25,000 miles. The transmission control went out after about 3,000 miles, was stranded in key west so had to pay the dealership $1100 to fix it. Got an extended warranty until 75,000 miles that will cover the fuel injectors
PRKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:35 PM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRKev View Post
What year Duramax and mileage on the fuel injector replacement? Got what I thought was a good deal on a 2012 Chevy 2500HD, only 25,000 miles. The transmission control went out after about 3,000 miles, was stranded in key west so had to pay the dealership $1100 to fix it. Got an extended warranty until 75,000 miles that will cover the fuel injectors

I had about 150k on mine used at it was an 06. Long story, short but buying from a guy that never towed anything worked against me because as the injectors start to fail the guy that never tows will not notice. Honest guy that had no idea. I got a check engine light and limp mode the first time up the CA grapevine. I found a good independent diesel mechanic and he said 150k or so and this starts to happen on the Duramax and the guy that never tows would never notice and not care. Sounds like you should have a long way to go at about half that mileage. There are a few workarounds to help such as installing a lift pump as the Duramax doesn’t come with one but I was told that just delays the problem and you risk grenading the injection pump which blows metal particles through everything and then it is a cab off major job to repair.

I would suggest loading your trailer as heavy as possible and take a highway run up a steep grade in the heat at about 70k. That will require max pressure on the injectors and if they are clogging or hanging open you will get a check engine light and limp mode. Your engine temps will likely get real hot too. If no issues then you are probably fine.

Also, the Allison tranny is generally considered great (not sure about your controller) but not serviceable so when that goes you have to replace. My mechanic told me that if shifts into reverse start taking longer and getting jerky then you are on the way. I never had any issues with mine though.

Good luck.

OP—sorry for the thread hijack. But all with the intention of sharing and helping forum members.