Nose high - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2015, 04:05 AM   #1

Nevada
Nose high

Have 2014 v3005 toyhauler tow it with 2012 Dodge Ram 2500. My problem is that trailer is 4.5 inches higher in the front. My dodge does not squat at all and rides high in the back. The pick up is totally stock with stock tires. I have lowered hitch in the truck to its lowest point and also adjusted fith wheel hitch trailer so it lowers it to its maximum. Don't know what to do. Talked to spring company in reno saying the can re arc rear leafs to lower pickup without affecting load. Any ideas

Soccerloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 02:57 PM   #2

Nevada
I wouldn't lower the truck. I think if you go with one of the axle alignment devices, correct track, you can gain two inches in trailer height. Probably a good time to throw in a wet bolt kit also.

Old 04-05-2015, 03:02 PM   #3

Nevada
Nose high

If I lower truck it would essentially level the pickup of which people do all of time by raising the front. The axle alignment device only raises by 2 inches I am off 4.5 inches. Curious why lowering pick up in the rear not a good idea when it would level pick and nearly level trailer as well. Thanks for your input. Can you give me the name for the trailer alignment system Bill
Old 04-05-2015, 03:52 PM   #4

Nevada
The alignment kit is made by Correct Track. Camping World, Tweety's, etc. sells them. I personally don't like the idea of lowering the truck, but I do most of my camping quite a way from the asphalt. Off road, height is your friend. On the interstate, it is your enemy. I guess you have to look at where most of your traveling is done. I just got back from Utah last week. The wind was blowing so hard on the salt flats, I wouldn't/couldn't get above 40 mph until I got to Wendover. The extra height was not my friend. When we go to the Jarbidge area, I need every inch I can get.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:14 PM   #5

Nevada
Good point. Travel hwy 80 several times of the year and of course living in Nevada like today the wind is always a consideration. I think lowering the rear won't affect our clearance should make butt end of the trailer less likely to drag. We do some boondocking but generally where we go in Nevada and eastern california clearance for us really isn't a problem. We do go down the road over 20,000 miles and carry 2,500 lbs of cargo plus personal stuff. Being nose high shifts more weight to rear tires and after 11,000 miles I see more tire wear on rear tires. Thanks for the correct track info. Just thinking after reading a recent post about sailun G rated tires and that they are roughly 1 inch larger in diameter. So that with correct track would give me a 3 inch improvement. Hmmm. I talk to my spring guy on the 14th that will give more info
Again really appreciate your input and information.
Bill
Old 04-05-2015, 10:13 PM   #6

Texas
loco,

I don't think you're too far off the money!!!

I've never considered my trailer to ride nose high. I have a 4X4 F350 Dually with stock tires and with 50 PSI in my air bags and 70 PSI in the TrailAir it rides @ 23.5" in the rear and 26.5" up front, a 3 inch difference.

A 1 inch taller tire would get you close to that, and I think the wino's suggestion of installing the Correct Track would solve your problem. My last toy hauler, a Torque, had Correct Track from the factory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Level.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	1991  

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:55 PM   #7

Nevada
Yep I am 26.5 in the front 22 in the rear Still don't know how to post a picture. Those measurements are with 5lbs in the bags This truck doesn't seem to squat
Old 04-05-2015, 10:59 PM   #8

Nevada

See if this works
Old 04-06-2015, 04:33 AM   #9

Nevada
Bill
Did you truck coming with the 18" rims? That's another inch higher then my Chevy 17"....Also when I added Air Bags, that put my truck up another inch, even with 5 lbs of air....
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:10 PM   #10

Nevada
Mine has 17 inch tires. Since my truck was 3/4 ton I also installed higher capacity leaf spring pack giving it same load capacity as a one ton. I am sure there has been some increase in rear height but if you look at these newer dodges going down road they are nose low and rear end high
As I have mentioned the guys that installed my new leaf springs say they can re arch the spring and lower the back end without affecting load capacity. Like the idea of the correct track add on for the trailer which gives ability to align wheels and raises trailer by 2 inches and also the sailun tires that are 1 inch larger in diameter. I wouldn't mind with spring remedy to level my truck ride. As a result if they lower truck 2 inches that would lower front of trailer 2 inches and raise the back 2 inches.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:15 PM   #11

Nevada
Copy Bill, I think mine is also up a couple inches in the front and I would like to get it down in the front
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:19 PM   #12

Nevada
Mine is 4.5 inches which is a lot. Just noticing tires in rear are wearing more. It's understandable about tire wear on rears since I almost always 2500lbs in rear but with trailer nose high by that much I need to do something. Looks like there are some options

Appreciate your input
Bill
Old 05-24-2015, 02:55 AM   #13

Maryland
I have the same v3005 with an 2005 Dodge 3500 and I did the correct track kit on mine. I also lowered the hitch and raised the pin box. Now I have 5 1/2" clearance between bed and camper and only 1" front to back difference on the camper with the bike and golf cart in it, and it has never hit.
hilbilydavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:41 AM   #14

Nevada
Sounds good. Thinking correct track will be my next move. Thought I could re-arch rear springs if I do it will constantly engage overload spring and ruin empty ride quality. Have adjusted hitch and pin box. These dodges don't squat