My 2005 GMC Sierra - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2017, 05:41 PM   #1

New Brunswick
My 2005 GMC Sierra

I have a 2005 GMC Sierra ex cab Z71, 5.3 HD trailer Package. We have just purchased a 2011 Dutchman TT. 277RLS. It says 9400 GVW. I have a good stabilizer hitch with sway control with a great Brake control in the cab. Didn't realize the weight when purchased as was told to me half ton towable. I have a 411 gear ratio rear end. Our trips at the most will take about 2 Hrs about three times a summer. Wife and I are retired on retirement wages LOL. I have taken the trailer out yet for a test run. Am I dead in the water or will I make the trip. Thks for your opinion.

Dutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:55 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
You may be right at or over your truck limits. You need to find out what the load capacity of your truck is (should be on the door sticker) and what the Empty weight of the trailer is. There may be a yellow sticker somewhere around the door or a white piece of paper stuck to the inside of a kitchen cabinet.

The 9400 is the most that the trailer can legally weigh when fully loaded. Based on that you would have a tongue weight in the 1200-1400# range. Which will most likely put you over your truck load capacity.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:31 PM   #3

New Brunswick
Dry Weight of trailer is 6150....
Old 05-02-2017, 08:39 PM   #4

New Brunswick
GVW sticker on the truck door 6400 lbs
Dry weight for trailer 6150
Old 05-03-2017, 10:10 AM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
That is still not enough information. What does your truck weigh, what is the rated cargo capacity. The dry weight on the trailer may or may not include LP and batteries, it most definitely does not include anything you put in it like clothes or food. Here is an article on getting your rig weighed so you can find out for sure.

My best guess is that your truck is listed as having an 8500# towing capacity, however you have to deduct the weight of anything you add to the truck from that, things like passengers, cargo, etc.

My rule of thumb when I shop for a trailer is to take 75% of the towing capacity and compare it to the GVW of the trailer. If the GVW of the trailer is at or less than that number I know I am good to go, if it is over that number I need to look a lot closer at the numbers. I still think you are going to be over your truck rating with that particular trailer. Going in a straight line is only part of the equation, you have to be able to stop, turn, and handle going up and down hill as well.

Unfortunately manufacturers play fast and loose with their numbers and the sales brochures and salesmen don't reflect real world conditions.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:41 AM   #6

New Brunswick
Thks so much for your replys....I guess more research is required. Not really sure what my next step is perhaps off to the truck dealers.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:58 PM   #7

New York
I'm confused. Do you have a 1500 or 2500hd truck? If you have the 2500hd you are just fine.
nitroscope8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:46 PM   #8

Ohio
Since he has a 5.3, it would be my guess that his truck is a 1500 (1/2 ton), but I could be wrong.
Cidco93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:39 PM   #9

Michigan
There should be a yellow sticker on the door of your truck (tire and loading sticker). It will say something like "The combined weight of cargo and occupants should not exceed ______ lbs." What is that weight?

nickthehunter is offline   Reply With Quote